Home

How i understood LeChuck's Revenge when i played it first time

karmo

My memory is little muddy on details but i think i played LeChuck's Revenge first time few years later than it came out.

Spoiler

I didn't consider possibility that  pirate's world could be fantasy world back then, so i thought that words of Voodoo Lady meant Guybrush could literally escape to another world if he would find Big Whoop. When game ended i assumed that LeChuck somehow followed him to that world. (I probably had read some fantasy with parallel universe where protagonist from our world had her own place, it seemed natural to me that Guybrush and LeChuck would replace their counterparts in another world.) Everything made sense -LeChuck had those eyes because he is supernatural being and Elaine made uninformed guess when she assumed that LeChuck put curse on Guybrush. I was sure that in sequel LeChuck would easily go back to pirate world and Guybrush should find components of spell in universe that is pretty much ours to follow LeChuck and confront him there.

• Like 5

I think I was too young to interpret much else other than what Elaine spelled out.

I found it weird that they were brothers. Spell.

That Mêlée is reachable through the elevator? Spell.

The treasure being a ticket? Spell.

And I was disappointed, and was so happy when CMI explained it all away.

Only years later did I understand the implications. And MI2 became layer after layer discovered and peeled back my favorite MI game and one of my favourites, period.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gins said:

I found it weird that they were brothers. Spell.

That Mêlée is reachable through the elevator? Spell.

The treasure being a ticket? Spell.

And I was disappointed, and was so happy when CMI explained it all away.

Only years later did I understand the implications. And MI2 became layer after layer discovered and peeled back my favorite MI game and one of my favourites, period.

Spoiler

Hmm, but how did you understood Voodoo Lady's words that Big Whoop is secret to another world back then? What irked me about Curse was that it didn't address those words or fact that Voodoo Lady sent you after Big Whoop.

1 hour ago, karmo said:
  Hide contents

Hmm, but how did you understood Voodoo Lady's words that Big Whoop is secret to another world back then? What irked me about Curse was that it didn't address those words or fact that Voodoo Lady sent you after Big Whoop.

I was like 8 and I didn't understand it so I was disappointed.

I also might have forgotten about this completely because I didn't really "play" MI 1 and 2 back then.

My dad had the games on his PC with a bunch of saves and I just loaded them non-linearly and played around. It took me years to complete these games and I had to use the UHS system for almost everything (printed out).

It also didn't help that I paused every single line and translated it word for word into German with a dictionary (in book form).

When I was older and I could read English fluently, it made more sense. And yet I loved these games even before that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gins said:

It also didn't help that I paused every single line and translated it word for word into German with a dictionary (in book form).

When I was older and I could read English fluently, it made more sense. And yet I loved these games even before that.

That's dedication...! Too bad you didn't have the German translation... or did you want to learn English from playing?

12 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

That's dedication...! Too bad you didn't have the German translation... or did you want to learn English from playing?

I had Secret only in English, Revenge in German.

At one point I wrote Secret into a short novel, using my translated dialogs, when I was around 10-12 😂

• Like 1
  • Wow 1