Home

Questions

Guest Boba Rhett

Guest Boba Rhett

I have a few questions and wanna see if anyone can answer A few questions I have.

1. Anyone know how easily homemade levels will be distributed? Size, compatabilty, etc..

2. Is anyone interesed in the idea of an official fan made level pack much like those made for Jedi Knight at Massassi.net?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sherack Nhar

1) Homemade levels should be running around not much long after the game's released, since they include an editor with the game... For availability, you might have noticed that we will have a section devoted to downloading Fan made campaings as soon as the game is released. As for size, well, they should be around the size of your average AoK campaign I suppose. It always depends if we'll be able to add voiceovers to our missions, which would be cool be will increase download time.

2) I'm not sure I understand... if it is fan made, how can it be official :D if you want to make a fan made level pack then go ahead, tinker around with the editor they'll ship with the game!

Guest Rogue15

fan made level packs are always fun to play. i'm awaiting The Phantom Menace TC. i suggest Leeza's Destiny, that level pack is SWEET!!!!!

Guest Rogue15

lol i 4got to see who the topic starter was.

I'm wondering, what will the scenario editor be like? Will we be able to place structures anywhere? I'm unfamiliar with the aok scenario editor since i've only played the demo.

Guest Sherack Nhar

I am not familiar with it either, I'm in the same boat as you. However you can expect to have the same functionality in the GB editor that are found in the AoK editor.

I have some experience at making maps and campaigns with the AoK editor.

The AoK editor allows you to place any building, unit, special unit anywhere on the map (except in the water), a special unit being something like a Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader in GB terms. You may also start at a designated age, block some technologies to a certain player, modify alliances, block an age e.g. block imperial age (the 4th and last age) and play only with castle age (3rd age) units. Of course, it's there that you decide of the objectives of the scenario, and if something happens when you accomplish the particuliar goal(s).

The campaign editor is really simple to use, you place your scenarios in order and when you load your campaign, you play the first scenario, when (if) you win, you move on to the second and then to the third...

Guest Sherack Nhar

Sounds good enough. If the GB editor offers as much functionality (which it will) then we will see some pretty spectacular fan made battles, especially with the promise of 200 units battling it out at the same time...

Guest Rogue15

ah, i can see it right now. my squad of atpts taking out the trash which happens to be the naboo. 4get the naboo, a herd of banthas would be better!

Well making campaigns is always fun, you should see the crappy Starcraft ones I have made. A nice map would be say Good VS Evil VS Aliens (Rebels and Naboo VS Empire and Trade Federation VS Wookies and Gungans) Takes you back to those days you were playing Heroes of Might and Magic.

As you can guess I have no idea what I am talking about

Guest Tie Guy

I don't personally have the game, but my friend does. I'm pretty sure he said that everything was fairly simple, but i'm not sure. Don't take my word for it.

Guest Tie Guy

Its most likely going to be very very close if not the exactly teh same as the one for AOE, except for the units some terrains of course.

Originally posted by ed_silvergun

Does anyone know how easy it is to configure different victory conditions and stuff like that in the AoK editor?

Configuring different victory conditions in AoK is very easy. You just click "Add Condition", define the type (you got a whole lot of choices, e.g. victory when you have enough ressources) and then give some precision (e.g. when you have 25 000 gold). Then, you state the effects produced (can be victory), which is done in the same way as defining a condition.

Guest Sherack Nhar

Hey...this reminds me of XWA mission editing. It's exactly the same!

People who played around in AlliED will find it familiar, I guess. I know I will!

Guest Sherack Nhar

Oh yeah they're a pain in the ass :D

I never include briefings in my missions. Too much trouble for what it's worth. In GB though...

Are there briefings before missions in AoK, ala Starcraft?

No. Well, no briefings like the ones in StarCraft. You have a text-only "briefing", which will inform you of the objectives, and will also inform you of the historical background. At the end of the game, depending on whether you won or lost, you will have some text telling you the consequences.

In AoK the briefings are kinda slideshows before the game starts. You see the drawed images and the text apear on your screen and the text is read to you.

It's very a storytelling. It tells the story from the point of view of an outsider. Mostly like an diary, but other times like it's a story told in a pub.

"So you've come to hear the tale of Frederick Barbarosa. Better order us another round, huh" And than follows the tale.

It's a very creative way, altough this couldn't be done with the scenario editor. Costums scenerio's were briefed AoE style. You had one image and you could choose between 3 tabs: Briefing, History and Hints. You could also show an AVI file before that.

I think BG will do the later concerning costum scenario's ... But then again .. I could be wrong

Guest Tie Guy

Yeah, it would hard to do voice briefings . It would be cool if you could record your own briefing with a microphone though. I guess text will have to suffice.

Archived