Home

characters

TrUeFoRcE

what characters do u think should be in jk2? post pictures of the characters u want to see, even original characters you thought up and made a drawing of, show the pic and maybe a modeler would create it when jk2 comes out.

i want to get a few good pictures of some star wars characters, or some original characters that would be cool to see in jk2 because i may be able to get a modeler to make them.

Originally posted by TrUeFoRcE:

i just wanted to see what kind of characters other people wnated in the game, even characters they've made up so that people can come here to get some ideas if they wanna make a model for jko

Therein lies the danger, of course. If someone produces an original piece of artwork - which may not be readily identifiable with Star Wars per se - then the originator of that work retains the copyright. You cannot simply use their work to produce anything without their consent.

Therefore you should state clearly that if it is the intention to pass such works to someone else for the purposes of modelling, for whatever purpose, the artist either agrees to forego (or share) their copyright by posting a piece of art here, or you must come to a formal (written) agreement with the artist in order to utilise their work.

Sorry if that sounds like legal-speak, but I have a vested interest.

This is the reason why I have only so far posted images that are obviously of Star Wars characters - because technically I do not own the copyright of those characters. Production of Fan Art is a bit of a grey area - many, many people produce fan art of recognised (copyrighted) characters, and thus far no action has been taken against the artists - which sort of sets a precedent. That is not to say that action might not be taken if said artists were attempting to profit from such works, however.

I produce fan art in the knowledge that the holders of the copyright can do with those pictures what they wish - even profit by them, should they wish to do so. Or they might ask me to remove them, in which case I would readily comply.

So I would just advise you to tread a little carefully in matters of copyright and original art works. :)

obviously i know that ide need the creators permission, technically i dont because its just making ther model in the 3d world, i was made this topic as sort of a contest where if someone had a decent concept they could enter it and maybe it would be a model for JKO someday, or a character in star wars theyd like to see....u guys are making this out to be alot bigger than it really is

Er, I hate to break this to you again.

Technically...you do need permission. It's just that if you make a model (or anything else) based on someone else's work, and nobody else knows about it, then no one can do anything about it.

If, however, you want to share that model across the Net...then my previous post applies. Either you state up front - as part of your competition rules - what will happen to the copyright of the work, and for what purpose the model will be used (specifically), or you could leave yourself open to some sort of comeback.

I'm not trying to attack your basic idea...which is good...I'm trying to cover your back. ;)

Archived