Home

JK2 Movie Secuence

Myxale

I really loved the cut-scene of JK.

I think i can say, that they were made very good.

The actors were fine and the whole cinematic ambiente take his part to carry the game on a better level.

The "in game movies" in MotS were bad, i missed the old movies and the the charismatic actor who played Kyle.

If i look back the last months, i cant remember that i've seen a "cut-scene"

with real actors in a game.

Maby the time of game with those kind of feat. are over....

What do you think....would you like the game movies like in JK..

And do you further miss this....

:confused:

I think I'd like them if they were filmed with excellent actors, an excellent script, an excellent set...a really good director....and all tied up with amazing editting. :p

Seeing as how thats unlikely to happen, I'll settle for in-game ones assuming they are put together with as much care as many of the Elite Force ones appeared to have.

I think JK had cheeseball cutscenes with bad acting. For the time and money I guess the compositing was ok, but they could have spent more time on the texturing of the sets and characters that were cg at least.

The problem with ingame cutscenes of the past have sometimes been things like camera shots all over the place, breaking the 180 degree rule, bad character animation...blah blah blah. Recent games are getting a lot better at this however.

An example of recent games with cutscenes in the JK style would be mech warrior 4. It had live actors with cg backgrounds, maybe the demo would be worth checking out.

Originally posted by Jolts:

<STRONG>An example of recent games with cutscenes in the JK style would be mech warrior 4. It had live actors with cg backgrounds, maybe the demo would be worth checking out.</STRONG>

Most of MW4's movies are postage-stamp sized and hampered by foul acting. I mean really, seriously rank stuff, here, the sort of thing that embarasses you if you show the game to a friend.

On the other hand, the intro cinematic (blend of FMV and CGI) was quite stunning, at least. :)

Heh, this subject has popped up several times, and I won't go as in depth as I have in the past...

Suffice it to say that I think if they are going for strictly in-engine cut-scenes, they should make the most of their facial animation system - because they really need to try and convey a whole range of character emotions. Regardless of what people thought of JK's cut scenes, most of the actors at least managed to convey emotion - which assisted the story-telling. Frowns are all well and good, and have their place - but so do smiles, laughs, expressions of terror, etc.

I'd also like to see them go for an all-out cinematic feel, with the appropriate cuts between different cameras, close-ups...and dynamic action. A lot of the in-engine cut scenes I've seen are static, full of dialogue, and switch between one or two camera angles.

In other words, plain dull. They deliver their slice of information, and totally fail to pump up your adrenaline and anticipation of what comes next.

At least JK's cut scenes managed to convey a sense of action, dynamism, and feeling, and in my view are actually better than some of the execrable TV series some people insist on putting on our other screens. ;)

Although it has been said more than once that cut scenes will be in-engine(I guess there will also be pre-rendered scenes between levels that show us possible space battles, for example, like in Elite Force), it hasn't been confirmed if actors like Jason Court(Kyle Katarn) and Angela Harry(Jan Ors) will return to do voiceover for their characters once again. I only hope Raven doesn't use Rino Romano(Kyle's voice in MotS), who BTW also dubbed Alex Munro in Elite Force.

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: Lord_FinnSon ]

Yeah, Jason Court and Co. are a must, IMHO, but it depends on whether or not they're willing to reprise their roles.

The other thing I didn't mention is that I'd like to see a smooth transition from the player being in control, to a scripted cut scene and back again. If you've played Rune, you'll know what I mean - except that in Rune your character didn't actually do anything during those cut scenes.

It might also be nice, if they intend to switch to external plot points (a la DF, JK), to use similar wipe techniques to the original release of the Star Wars movie. Just to give it that retro feel. ;-)

Finally, going back to my earlier point, I've just watched a demo movie for the upcoming Duality game - and it does a pretty good job of showing dynamic action from different camera angles. If that movie is a cut scene, it's pretty damned good. If it's in-engine, it's mind-blowing. :eek:

That's the kind of dynamic cut scene I'd like to see in JK2...in smaller doses, of course. :D

Archived