Home

Jedi Knight Vs. Jedi Knight II Multiplayer Capability

slave01

The point of how long JK has been around compared to CS is irrelevant compared to the real reason for those numbers. I'm sure we're all well aware that the zone was the main place for JK gaming, and still is according to many.

now, the fact that most of these zone games had only 4 or less people playing in them, combined with the fact that one room (eg-nar) only supports 250 people in at once, means a lot of people couldnt play..... because they didnt want to play in the cantina, where there was no people, and didnt want to be seen in canyon- newbie town.

I'm sure if jk had had dedicated servers instead of the zone, it may have more people playing today...... We'd certainly see more team games and team based levels....

2 on 2 isnt exactly the biggest team game.....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kurgan

Yeah, if we just want to go numbers, then the "best games ever" would be the Battle.net games (Warcraft II, Diablo, Diablo2 and Starcraft) if we're talking most people playing (though the MMORPG's like EverQuest, Ultima Online, and Asheron's Call give them a run for their money.. in fact EQ might have THE most people playing, but I'd have to check the figures).

If we're talking top sales, then it goes to the Myst and Deer Hunter games (and clones).

In short, what makes a game good is personal preference. Not how many copies it sold, or how many people play it at one time.

I mean sure, you could say a game that's played a lot long after its release and has made a lot of money is a "good game" but then how many people saw Titanic? How much money did it make? And how many people have I talked to that hated it or thought it wasn't anything special? If I had a dime for every one of those... heh

I consider JK a great game, because it combined a lot of elements together in a unique mix, that was very unique for the time. It still has a unique feel after all these years, though it has been surpassed in many of its aspects by newer technology.

It's still one of my favorite games of all time, but there may be a better game in the future. I like a lot of games, and I am not limiting myself to just one. It's pretty tough to pick "the best game ever," if not impossible. ; )

Kurgan

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

C&C= Doom, for popularising the gendres.

I see more team play in 2 v 2 jk anything then on most cs servers.

only clan matches have team work.

Its the tennis/badmington doubles kinda team work.

what are the battle.net gmaes at?

cause www.planetarion.com has got something like 500k players atm IIRC.

Ever is kinda shat cause better games might come along, the best game to date is a better thingie

Guest Vagabond

My main concern regarding how JKII will compare to JK, is that JK has a masterfully beautiful interface when it comes to the game setup. Be it graphics, audio, or controller setup, LucasArts really released a very polished product with Jedi Knight. JKII, as we all know, is being developed using the Quake 3 engine, with the games of this engine typically not having the depth and professionalism that JK had.

Further, as you all know, JK supported many controllers from the game setup interface, including joysticks and rudder pedals - no fiddling with files required.

Having said all that, is it possible for Raven to make a similar interface for JKII? Sure, but they'd have to exert the effort.

Lastly, one other concern I have about the Quake 3 engine is that it strafing is less precise than other engines, such as the original JK and the Unreal engines. With Quake, you're either strafing, or you're not. There is no gradual, in between control that one has when strafing is mapped to a rudder axis. So that's a concern for a stick user like myself - and while I'm not expert on the Q3 engine, I suspect it's no small matter to modify the Q3 engine to make it behave more the JK in this regard.

Anyway, this is what I see when comparing JK to JKII.

Archived