Home

Network Status - Read

Guest ZeroXcape

Guest ZeroXcape

Hey Everyone,

Don gave me a call earlier today to sorta fill me in on what's been going on. Needless to say, everything is as exciting as ever. Here's a quick run-down:

1) GB.com's new release date is going to be determined by LEC. So far, they haven't contacted Don about anything specific, so we probably don't have to rush the site like we originally thought. As far as our current schedule though, we may as well follow it as closely as we can. Let's get all we can done ASAP.

2) As far as the talks with UGO are going, they're progressing well. We should fine out more information from them in the middle of this month. We have a fallback idea if we decide to hold off on affiliating w/UGO.

3) Where's Don? Actually, he's here. He has been visiting the boards from work daily so he knows what's been going on. He's got a few firewall issues w/his DSL to work out, hence he hasn't been idling on ICQ.

4) Where's Zero? Hey.. I'm back. My mini-vacation was pretty damn fun. As for my computer... it's pretty darn screwed up.

A bit of advice: Never leave a windows computer on while you are out of town.... something is BOUND to screw up.

Anyway, I can't access any of my files until I can reinstall Windows. I *really* hope I don't lose anything considering how much I have on that drive. I'll be helping out as much as I can, and I will let everyone know when I'm back to full speed.

5) LEC Talks? Once we figure out what we are going to do with the UGO affiliation, and when LEC lets us know when they want us to open GB.com: we will try and host a conference call with LEC. Basically, everyone can share ideas, etc.

6) As far as the sites go, everything's looking good. Hopefully we can get a few new features for LG.com and keep the news flowing at JK.net. Chris - You may want to end JKII.net's button contest this week. If I am online by tommmorow, I'll take care of it.

7) If anyone needs me, zeroxcape@zeroxcape.com

Guest Jeff Walters

A couple of things, firstly I've written an article on editability which is just about done - http://www.jediknightii.net/_jeff/editability.shtml - lemme know what you think.

I've also been thinking it might make a good 2 part feature on LucasGames.com if I profiled the top 10 or so Mods/Level for both Dark Forces & Jedi Knight.....though I'm not too sure how well my dos version of DF will run on my new 1.2 athlon, I've heard people have had probs with fast comps.

Lastly, I think it goes without saying to be careful dealing with UGO :) but then again the same could be said about most of the big AD sites....

*sticks pins in his IGN doll*

Guest ZeroXcape

Sounds cool about all the articles ;). My GB preview is coming along well, just gotta spice it up.

As for UGO, we won't be doing *anything* with them unless we have a set contract deal. If they can't offer us anything good, we'll just wait.

Guest ChrisC3po

It’s great to finally hear what’s going on. GB.com can be ready to go just a few days after we move the domain, so that won’t be a problem. I’ll do a bit of editing on Jeff’s article, pun intended :), and post it sometime today. I’ll also start getting the staff’s opinions on the buttons. Hopefully we can announce a winner on Thursday. I’m also going to end the poll for the forum name on Friday; we really let that go way to long. Any suggestions on a new poll question?

Good luck with the computer Zero. :)

Yeah, excellent job on the article Jeff! It is good to hear that things are progressing very nicely. I hope we can get GB.com up asap even if we don't launch it right away because I think we're gonna have some issues with LG if we don't start to get more organized. I really feel we need to start having content planning meetings or even post ideas for content on this forum. Once we get our concepts, we need to get a timeline going so we can get a steady progression of features going through the site. We seem to be kicking ass on hits, that just needs to keep going. I'm going to start working on some of my own today. Just some ideas....I'm really excited about what all is going on though!

Swoosh

Guest ChrisC3po

Good point Swoosh, I really think we should try getting a meeting together sometime next week, maybe Wednesday. If not we can definitely start a thread here with a six week plan for features. Right now I’m think we should try to get two features up at LG.com every week, not including individual site features like <a href=http://www.lucasgames.com/features/miscellaneous/jkiiediting.shtml>Jeff</a>’s which we will post at LG.com, but not on the main page. LG.com will be the final home to all network features, but we are only going to post new content on the front page. I also feel that we should really try to tie LG.com into any new site launch. LucasConsoles.com is a great example of this tie in; we are going to have a week long (six days) feature entitled Consoles Wars v3.0 to launch the site. Hopefully we will be able to do the same for GalacticBattles.com. For non-site launching weeks, I feel we should try to get one retro review and one other feature (preview, interview, editorial, ect.) up.

On a completely unrelated topic, I’ve been talking to the tech support staff at 1-host.com about adding PHP and mySQL to the server. So far they’ve installed PHP 3, which isn’t the current version…. Hopefully that will be cleared up shortly. Once we get both up we will be able to add an incredible number of great scripts, just check out <a href="http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/">hotscripts.com</a>, to all of our JKII.net sites (e.g. advanced FAQs, click trackers, and vBulletin). I only wish I had found out about this language before we started work on LG.com.

:)

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: ChrisC3po ]

Chris> that sounds like a solid plan to have atleast two features a week...I like the site launch weeks idea too. Definitely something that would hype up our new sites and get them a ton of visitors the first few days.

Speaking of lucasconsoles...I'm going to start work on a new beta. I'm not too excited about the old one any longer and there is a bunch of things I'd like to do differently. I guess I was just trying to rush the old beta out the door before I went on my vacation. Anyways, we can talk about that later.

Swoosh

Guest ZeroXcape

Computer is starting to get there... time to reinstall everything :|

Be back tonight hopefully...

Guest ZeroXcape

Ok, finally things are back to normal. Adding all my old registry files now.

So everyone knows, I forgot to mention that Don said he'll be purchasing vBulletin Boards. Get sharp on how it works ;)

Guest ChrisC3po

I just bought a 900 page book on PHP and mySQL. I should be up and programming in the language in a week or so. I've already completed the basics behind PHP; I must say it is quite impressive what you can do. It is much faster and easier then CGI.

Guest ChrisC3po

Progress Report

Well the tech guys at 1-Host have managed to get PHP 4 installed! But we are still waiting on mySQL. By the time this is over we are going to have the most up to date server out there. =)

I’ve also uploaded an edited version of Kurgan’s latest retro review, this one focusing on <a href="http://www.lucasgames.com/features/reviews/rs.shtml">Rogue Squadron</a>. I hope we can get it up on Friday. We’ll need a graphic for it. Then we really should start following a schedule for features.

You're talking about the graphic for the main page? The psds for those are on the server and just need to have the rogue squadron logo added to one of them.

I went ahead and edited some mistakes I noticed...

Swoosh

looks good. One thing to everyone who's writing articles...we are trying to keep all screenshots and movies in the /media directory. All the new games have a folder already, but if the game you're doing the feature on is not in there...go ahead and add it. Also, take a look at how we have the files saved and please try to replicate that with the new screenshots added. Why do we want to do this? Organization. It makes finding a screen for a game much easier and we have a place to keep all of our media which makes many things better and easier. Just a note :)

Swoosh

Guest ZeroXcape

I totally agree with Swoosh on the organization side of things. In fact, JKII.net is still quite intact from when we first launched, let's try and keep LG.com that way too.

If you're gonna add a new feature to JKII.net - be sure to update it on the features.shtml page as well (i.e. Articles, columns, mailbags.) I'm going to add Jeff's latest column there now.

Also, if anyone wants to start writing for LG.com, I think it'd be best to release *at most* two features a week. Any more then that and our readers would probably miss out. We also don't want to have to spam a new LG feature everyday on all our other sites.

Everyone working on GB.com - it's looking great. I sent Chris an ICQ about the chat rooms:

I think it'd be best if we made all the sites link to one channel, like #lucasgames or something. That way, all our readers aren't completly spread out across the network in different empty channels.

JediKnightII.net - This week it's getting a new poll and mailbag, a new feature, and another column from Vagabond. It's realted to The Sims and JKII ;)

Catch ya'll on icq,

Sounds good zero...on a side note, check out Lucasgames Network page...we added podracers.com and roguesquadron.net sections. We are trying to keep all sites as part of the network, because we (errr... Don) pays for the domain names and they do have a lot of useful content as well as a community. Also, I created a galacticbattles.com image which you can seehere.

Finally, I'm creating a few more menus for lucasgames.com. I've finished one for full throttle but I need your help with other older games. If you have some of these games and a little bit of time, could you snap some screens from these games?

- Sam N Max

- The Dig

- Monkey Island

But, if you have any other games, we can definately use those screens as well. Thanks!

Swoosh

Guest ChrisC3po

Swoosh I think I have all of those games, If you told me how to get screen shots I could do that for you.

Cool...in order to get screenshots you must be running the game in windows. I know some games don't run in windows on certain systems, but I don't know of how to get screens through dos through an outside program. Anyways, basically you run the game and when you are ready to capture, hit the print screen button on your keyboard. I know Win98 will take you out of the game and a pop-up menu will come up telling you the screen is on your clipboard. All you have to do is open photoshop and paste the screen into a new image. It's very easy! Then when you want to go back to get more screens, just leave photoshop open and get back into the game.

Swoosh

Guest Jeff Walters
If you're gonna add a new feature to JKII.net - be sure to update it on the features.shtml page as well (i.e. Articles, columns, mailbags.) I'm going to add Jeff's latest column there now.

Aye I would have added it myself earlier, but I only have FTP access to the '_jeff' directory at the moment.

Guest ZeroXcape

errr... why is that Jeff?

ICQ me asap ;)

------------------

Also, I've just added LucasGames and JediKnightII to about a million search engines. LucasGames was spidered incorrectly. It was showing our "building page" in most search engines. As for JKII, it hasn't made many yet, so hopefully it'll near the top of most.

I've also added the proper META tags to each site, so if you change the index.shtml files on either, remember to download the current one first! :)

Archived