Home

Rated "Teen"

Guest Kurgan

Guest Kurgan

I was playing Shogo: Mobile Armored Division again recently, and I was thinking... there is a ton of blood in this game (by default), yet, it's rated TEEN. How is that possible?

While it's true there aren't any guts, there are <a href="http://www.public.iastate.edu/~kurgan/shogo1.jpg">fountains of bright red blood</a> when people get shot, plus you can do the old "shoot bodies to make them explode" like in all Quake games. There aren't any detailed guts or anything like in Unreal, but there's definately severed limbs and blood splattered on the walls, etc.

There's some suggestive dialouge by characters as well:

------------------------------------

Woman: Watch my ass!

Man: I'd be happy to.

Woman: You say the sweetest things...

-------------------------------------

(as you walk up to her)

Woman: Keep it in your pants Mister!

-------------------------------------

I was just thinking, I know LEC tends to go for the family entertainment thing, but if they are just trying to stay within the the Teen rating, they could get away with a lot of stuff apparently, if Shogo could.

Comments welcome.

Kurgan

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

Guest Kurgan

Hold the phone, this is interesting.. although my copy of the game clearly says it's rated "Teen" if you look at Amazon.com, it says the game is "Mature."

If anybody else here has the game, can you tell me, what is your's rated?

Kurgan

Guest Kurgan

Well just for the sake of argument, a little blood would be "starwarsness" (if that means being true to the movies). ; )

And just in case anybody thinks I'm crazy, here's a scan I just did of the jewel case, it says TEEN!

<a href="http://www.public.iastate.edu/~kurgan/shogocase.jpg">Shogo Cover scan</a>

<center>

shogo2.jpg "Teen" Content ?</a>

</center>

PS: I am not saying that Shogo:MAD is a bad game, it isn't, it's pretty good actually, I am just using it as an example. ; )

Kurgan

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

I tell ya what, these ESRB ratings are kinda strange. I mean, Thief 2 is rated M. :rolleyes:

And in a lot of stores (though not as much around where I live) they actually card you if you try to buy M rated games. I mean, I just turned 17 about a month ago. Technically I couldn't have bought any of the rated M games I have now!

LOL Kurgan, is that a screenshot of you "showing someone the error of their ways?" :)

EDIT: actually having a second look at it, you can't really see THAT much. I mean, if it were clearer then perhaps you could beef up the rating. Look closer and you may see what I am trying to say.

wardz

[ July 02, 2001: Message edited by: wardz ]

Archived