Home

Q3Radiant vs. GtkRadiant

ReAcToR

I have some time off of college for the holidays and am planning to begin my journey into editing Q3. I've had experience with Qoole(Q2 editor), JED and JKEdit. I'm curious to find out what the difference is between Q3Radiant and GtkRadiant. I've seen some people describe Q3Radiant as being an extension of the Q3Radiant that ID used to create Q3 and I've heard GtkRadiant described as an extension of Q3Radiant.

- Can you folks explain the similarities/differences between Q3Radiant and GtkRadiant or at least point me to documentation online that discusses the similarities/differences?

- Which one are you folks using or are some of you still experimenting with both?

They aren't very different. It's not a big difference like JKEdit and JED. GTK Radiant is a modified version of Q3 Radient, and is superior. It has a better layed out GUI, and has a few easier features. Q3 Radiant downloads are usually missing files, and half the things in the editor never worked for me. You definatly want GTK Radiant to learn Q3 editing. You can get it at http://www.qeradiant.com

For tutorials, I'd suggest:

http://zaxis.stomped.com/main.php3?content=content/q3a_tutorials.content&title=Z-Axis+Q3A+Mapping+Tutorials

You'll find Q3 mapping VERY easy if you've had JED experiance. The change from a sector-based game engine (JK) to a brush-based game engine (Q3) is a little wierd, but once you get the hang of it, it's VERY easy.

I know I've found myself limited when doing Q3 editing...for example, you can't make lights flicker, or doors swing without scripts, and Q3 has no scripting language for levels (that I know of), sort of like COG for JK. However, I'm almost completely confident that JO will have this. Why? RtCW has it, EF has it, Alice has it, FAKK2 has it, MoH:AA has it...they are all games that need it for the single player puzzels and AI. Q3 doesn't need it, tho, since it's just arena fighting. That's why I'm almost sure JO will have it.

[/rant]

*gasp* ... *gasp* ;)

Thanks...I've already been working with GtkRadiant and am impressed. It is a difficult transition from JED, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I did work with Qoole for Q2 a little back in 99 and some of this is just a review(CSG Subtract and all the BSP stuff).

Archived