Home

Did anyone in the mid-western states see the solar eclipse, today?

raVen_image

It was only a partial eclipse, I guess, but still: I bet it was cool. Here in my homeground (Northern California) it was raining all day, so our day was pretty dark, anyway. The clouds prevented us from seeing anything.

If you didn't, has anyone seen a solar eclipse? I saw a total solar eclipse in 1978...it was eerie, breath-taking, and beautiful. I can understand why ancient people were afraid of them.

Wanna see what all the fuss is about? Click here

The next partial eclipse for the United States is on June 10th 2002.

It's OK that it's night in your corner of the world when it should be day. It's OK that you celebrate the christmas season in warm weather, when it should be cold. What freaks me out about your part of the world is: The water spins the wrong way when it drains out the plug-hole. That's freaky. ;)

The notion that water behaves differently in northern and southern hemisphere basins is a nice little earner for smart operators living on the equator. In reality, the direction in which the water goes down the plughole is determined by several factors, such as the shape of the basin, and the way the water is moving before the plug is removed, etc. The position of the equator has little effect at all.

There is an African country near the equator where entrepreneurs have set up two toilets, one just north of the equator, the other just south of it. For a fee, they will allegedly demonstrate that the toilets flush in opposite directions. It is only for show, however; there is no real effect. Yes, there is such a thing as the Coriolis effect, but it is not enough to dominate the flushing of a toilet--and the effect is weakest at the equator.

Essentially, the "Coralis" effect is not really visible in something as small as a sink drain or toilet. For the equator, the answer is: either direction.

Here are some good sources:

http://jcbmac.chem.brown.edu/scissorsHtml/liquids/bathtub.html

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert/physics/physics20.html

Archived