Home

An honor-code ?

Paragon_Leon

With the release of the game imminent, it might be high time to develop an 'honor code' for online multiplayer gaming. Since gameplay in GB differs from AOK, such rules seem necessary and it doesn't suffice to simply copy the rules of AOK.

What do you think should be a basic rule in multiplayer online gaming ?

Note that recommendations will be taken into account in the very first Senate meeting...

Guest dr_death

DONT ATTACK DROIDS!!

it is an effective tatic but annoying and stressfull.

what would also be a good idea is too have a table on some website with our names on it so the people we play can rate our performence and we can play against people who are as good as us.

i agree though we need an honour code!!!

Guest Tie Guy
Originally posted by Kud'ar Mub'at

Let's not forget " don't touch the monument when the game stipulations say Don't touch the monument"

Now that is annoying :D

But that won't be a problem in the full version of the game.

Here's my opinions

1. No Tower Rushing -- You know, when you build towers right in front of the enemy's base as soon as the game starts.

2. No Cheating -- Duh! :D

3. No resigning just because you are loosing -- that about sums it up

4. Follow the rules of the game -- i.e. no rushing

Originally posted by dr_death

DONT ATTACK DROIDS!!

If you mean worker droids ... then I disagree. If you want to hurt someone's economic, hurt it's workers.

I agree with the Tower rushing (he ... I started that rule)

Also I think there should be some sort of player catogories. newbie/beginner/regular/good player/die-hard/sick in the head

I haven't figured out a good wau to handle this yet, but it's an idea (ladder play maybe?)

Ok, this is(i think) how we are going to to ranking in TJC: To earn ranks, you have to earn points, to earn points you have to play GB, and obviously, the higher the rank you get the better you are.

How to score points: When finish a game of GB, you pm the point/rankmaster you total points, if you got the highest total points, if you survived the entire game, and if you got the highest points in any other catagory, such as "most villagers. These points are then added up by the pointmaster. If you used all the points, the numbers would be absurdly high, so you take their score and round it off to the nearest hundredth. Example: 3456 would be rounded off to 35, ad points from bonuses, and there's your score. As your points accumulate, you will get a higher rank. So far there are two different ranking systems, Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire. There are 11 different rank all together. The first 6 are the same for RA and GE, but 7-11 are different. Here's the first 6: (MP equals Minimum Points)

Recruit: MP 0

Private: MP 100

Luitenant: MP 200

Captain: MP 400

Colonel: MP 600

Major: MP 800

Now here are the RA and GE ranks 7-11( RA/GE)

Luitenant General/Rear Admiral: MP 1,000

General/Admiral: MP 1,300

High General/Grand Admiral: MP 1,600

Commander/Moff: MP 1,900

Supreme Commander/Grand Moff: MP 2,300

There ya go. What do you think?( I was up until 1:00 am thinking about it:p )

Well, Silenthunter. I do find a problem with the points scale you got there. You see, it would be too easy for someone to rise up the ranks. Well, lets just say ive only played 6 multiplayer games of GB and already im a Major. I do like your ranking system, but maybe the MP's could be a little higher, say like doubling all the MP's.

Guest porkins14

I am sorry if you think I am flaming or being a jerk, but i just have to give my opinion. Everything should be allowed (outside of cheats of course), as good players can stop all strategies if they are prepared. Someone mentioned tower rushing. With proper scouting (which most newbies suck at), tower rushing can be stopped EASILY. I am sick of people complaining about that. What should I do?? let people sit in their base and build a great economy and military and then just collide in the middle of the map?? Sorry guys, its a real time strategy game, and early rushing is a strategy, which can be risky if the opponet is prepared. Someone said earlier its cheap to attack workers?? Really? That is one of the most absurd things i have seen on my short time at these forums so i wont even comment. I just hope that once competitive play starts with ladders and stuff that people dont complain about tactics just because they arent smart enought to figure them out.

I think Rushing is okay if everyone agrees to that ... but most times that is not the case.

If you go to the zone you see lotsa 'no rushing' rooms. I think we all can agree that if you enter such room and still rush ... then you've broken the code of honour.

This is also a good way to introduce it into classes. From a certain type of class (say, regular or good player) rushing is alowed because all players should have experience enough to deal with that

Tower rushing is annoying however.. there should be a defense for it.. like keep some mounted units nearby to get in near the minimum range and take it out.. by tech 3 you should have some pummels

AOK people played like that and personally I found it stupid because if the rushing tactic succeeded then the game would end early. That is why I play with a good friend of mine (named Ownard on the Zone) he can quickly amass a counter strike or vice versa if there is a tower rush remember. In a rush like that usually their base is left undefended as they are betting they can take you out first.

These are tactics we are working out now and I highly recommend all the fair players on this site to get together and team up.

in response to Jedi_Masta: shield generators, air-units, Jedi.. it's a whole new ballgame. Who knows... maybe 'tower rushing' doesn't even have an effect in GB ! Anyone tried it ?!?

In response to the others: this is a discussion thread; not a rule-book. I'm open to suggestions, since we're going to talk about this subject in the Senate.

Tower Rushing isnt a Strat its cheap, your suppose to use your armies not build millions of towers. If its a Vet Player vs Vet Player then it can be agreed that Tower Rushing is fine but you cant except everyone to play like that, sure it may be fun to you what about everyone else? Some of you complain people drop early on because they are loosing, well if we all followed an honor system like this with no Tower rushing as an example you'll find alot less people dropping early with this honor system. If some of you dont like it thought you always can start rooms with "Not Using Honor System" in your room title but remember games are suppose to be fun for everyone not just the hardcore Gamers/Strategists.

just my 2 cents

Guest porkins14
Originally posted by LordQuiGonJinn

Tower Rushing isnt a Strat its cheap, your suppose to use your armies not build millions of towers.

just my 2 cents

When did the developers say what you are supposed to spend your resources on???? Who made you the king of all games to tell me what I am "supposed" to spend my resources on?? Are you Gary Gaber?? If you are I apologize, but nobody else should be telling people what they are "supposed" to spend resources on

Guest WC_heavyarms

I think what that Tie guy said is very smart (haha what a pun!) :D anyways, I am a dm player, not RM. I will see my fellow DMer's sometime...

Guest jediaoe

its a game of stratagy and if your not good enough you'll lose.

I would rank myself as an admiral only because i have only found 2 people that might have been able to beat me 2v1.

DONT ATTACK DROIDS!!

Especially if you're playing the TF.

www.galacticbattles.com Galactic Battlegrounds

RULES OF ENGANGEMENT:

(This is my suggestion)

1. Rushing

Rushes will not be carried out unless this has been set up beforehand, eg. in the game room before the game starts. A rushing player should announce that he/she is rushing by sending a message with his civilisation (eg. "Wookies. I'm rushing."). A host not wishing to have rushes in his game should add "No rushes" to his game description.

2. Resigning

Players can resign only if he/she is forced to leave the game. Players will not resign due to imminent defeat, ally resignation, etc.

3. Taunts

Taunts are not to be abused. Players not hosting a game should be aware that the host has all rights to boot players at any time before a game starts, even if he/she has not specified that taunts should not be abused before the game. Excess use of taunts is considered spamming.

4. Coarse language/Game behavior

Players are to respect each others while playing, regardless of personal, racial, etc. issues. No cuzz words or otherwise offensive words directed at a person's beliefs or origin are to be used.

5. Demo R. O. E. code

a. Monument game

Monument can not be captured if stated by the host. All units are to be kept away from the monument.

That about settles it for the rules, doesn't it? Personally, I'm in favour of Silenthunter's scoring system (applaudes) ;).

no aoerat, i don't think it's too early to discuss the honor code. in general, whoever is hosting the game will have rules and players should abide by them.

i remember tutoring a guy on the zone how to build what, etc. with a total of 3 players in the game. i explicitly said 'no rushing' since we were trying to figure out the interface. one of the members here totally fractured that policy and rushed that newbie while i was tutoring him and then came for me.

in general, rushing is okay but be perceptive on the rules and play by them. if you can't hang, then create your own game and find people who will participate in such actions...

An honor-code? Good intentions but in my experience with other games on-line the end result is always the same.

People who will respect it and people who won't. People who will complain on forums like this about this guy who cheated etc... and people who will say that they bought the game, it's their money, so they can play how they see fit.

I personnally feel that before starting each game, the host should discuss any rule or code of conduct that everyone should follow. If you don't like the hosts rules , then don't play that game.

Also, I usually keep a list of players that i enjoy playing with and those that i had a bad experience with (and won't play against again on-line).

Porkins i dont need to be garry gaber, im talking about an honor code system, its not being made to please you its being made to please everyone in general, if you dont like make a room saying "not using honor system" not everyone as no life as you to sit there playing all day and night to become Professionals, i think you've complained people have droped early on when playing with you, if you werent so cheap maybe people wouldnt do that, dont complain if people drop your games if you dont want to play by the moral code the Community is making up, the game isnt all about you pal, its about everyones enjoyment and as i said before and others have said, right now all these comments are just opinions, if you dont like peoples opinions dont flame them, everyone is entitled to one. If when the Honor Code is made and you dont like it, you dont have to join games using it, its that simple, Everyone wants to have fun too.

First thing. You think that everyone on this forum is everyone that plays BG. You are very wrong.

Second is that the host decide what they will play. If you dont like playing his rule. Simpley dont play and everyone is happy.

Third: Soon in dec (i believe) we start having wow. (wow-week of war) that is hosted by http://www.battlestats.com They have rule that if oyu dont follow you dont play in the war that happen every month. When they start everyone will start joinning clan and league b/c you only can play if oyu are in one. You probably thinking i will not play in them but you are very wrong. BSC been hosting wow for like at least 10 games and alot of ppl play them.

BG WOW will get alot of ppl b/c it have a database which keep all your games and record of how well you are. In a wow for exemple you can see how many games you play and your clan. You be rank and recieve award for the top 5 clan and 10 top players. Trust me on this. Many ppl will play in that and that canceled your honor code system pretty quickly. BSC will have it's rule which will make it fair as much as possible. I REALLY doubt that they have no rushing,no killing droid or any othe rule like that in it. Thx for your time :)

Guest Jedi Jester

I encourage everyone (especially the ladies :cool: ) to participate in WOW every wednesday :D. But seriously, while an honr system sounds good in theory, It really wouldn't work that well because when it gets down to the wire, anyon will do what it takes to win. When I play, I go by the rules (no mon, etc.), but when a match is goning on like 4 hours, you're gonna want to end the game quickly.

Guest Tie Guy
Originally posted by LSF_Tango1

First thing. You think that everyone on this forum is everyone that plays BG. You are very wrong.

No we don't. We are talking about people who are going to play off of this site. This code would apply in things such as Tournaments, IP games, and other matches between forummers.

Also, tactics like rushing will most likely not be placed on the list, unless they are really cheap and not fun for either player (ie. tower rushing). It should mostly deal with conduct and behavioral issues such as resigning and cursing and things.

Archived