Home

LOTR Question regarding Shelob and Gollum

Guest Lord Tirion

Guest Lord Tirion

Spoilers in this post if you have not read the Two Towers so please do not read any further if you dont want to know

I am on the chapter of Shelob's Lair. According to what I read, Gollum has already been through her lair ATLEAST 2 times now. The second time, he promised Shelob to bring back the hobbits if she spared him so he might obtain the one Ring after she devoured Frodo and spat out his bones... but this leads to my question.. what about the first time? Obviously Gollum has been there before because why else would he have plotted to take the hobbits there since the beginning? So how did he escape Shelob the first time? It said nothing about that. Just curious.

He probably either he stayed out of harms way, or he promised the yummy hobbits on his first trip, to bargain for his life...But thats just my theorie ;) But really, I don't know, but of course, Gollum(Smeagol) was very crafty, and had excelent nightvision...So mayge he was able to not even come in contact with her. Who knows?...

hmmm perhpas he had the ring at that point....its been years since i last read it. The other possibility is that he is a very cunning character, an expert in hiding, tracking, general stealth, perhaps he just succesfully hid from the Shelob.

Guest Lord Tirion

He didnt have the ring then because Gandalf said he was venturing into the lands of Mordor searching for his ring when the Enemy caught him.

Guest Sarcastic Saint

Leave this to the expert....namely me....Gollum was "drawn" to Mordor because he has had the ring....so he was sort of compelled by "the enemy" to go there were he was eventually captured and questioned....

So that was the first time he went through her lair....after he was released by the enemy.....with a mission(presumably to search for the ringbearer)....then he went through her lair again for the second time on his way out of Mordor and thats when he sort of made his "deal".

Yes yes i know i know i'm good. :D

(and dont say that thats wrong cause i am VERY sure about this.)

Guest Lord Tirion

Thanks.

Now for my next question: How come Sauron needs the Ring back so bad? He had it in the first place and still lost (when Isildur defeated him and chopped the Ring off). Is it that now the Elves are no longer as powerful as they once were that he feels they can not stop him when he does get the Ring back?

Archived