Home

does anyone else agree??

stefunny77

Does anyone else agree with me when I say--how the heck are we supposed to know what to do!! I mean, yeah, its easy to pick up the right items, and go to the right places, but after that....there is no way to know what to do...like, am i really supposed to be "so smart" that i realize, "hey, maybe i will make my own perfume!" or "hey i know how this machine works...tree = A-E..." etc. Im sorry, i guess im just not as smart as your supposed to be. oh, and like putting chicken grease on the mat? Are you all getting these things easily??

Please reply-i wanna know if im in trouble here...

Stefunny

ps--the only way i found out what to do was the walkthru-and thats never fun!!

Most of the puzzles have clues and hints in the game itself.. you just have to pay more attention to the details. The hard part is figuring out which details are important, and which are not.

For instance, the grease on the mat that you mentioned... The first thing that came into my mind when I saw the mat was to try and put something on it, so that when someone walks out, they'll either slip, or get stuck. After that it was a simple task of looking through my inventory for something suitable to use. I suppose such ideas would come easier to people who are more used to practical jokes.

Brief, I think you ae mostly right, but on occasions there are puzzles which you need a walkthrough to just have the though come through your head. Like getting the parrot whistle from the P.T academy, or looking at the manhole to get the prosthetic skin, or putting the ShmearWhiz in Marco D.P's Sael oil, or using the banana picker on the shields and giving it to the monkey.... I mean on some level you are aware but why waste your time if you're stuck on a puzzle which normally would be simple, but the game designer had a sick twisted idea to make it totally unobvious (is that a word?). I get myself irritated just writing this.

Originally posted by Mr. Blonde

Has anyone actually found a use for this damn thing. I figured Murray would like it, but he just called me disgusting.

You minimize the amount of items spread out in your Inventory if you make the Abomination of Nature.

Originally posted by MurrayDude

Brief, I think you ae mostly right, but on occasions there are puzzles which you need a walkthrough to just have the though come through your head. Like getting the parrot whistle from the P.T academy, or looking at the manhole to get the prosthetic skin, or putting the ShmearWhiz in Marco D.P's Sael oil, or using the banana picker on the shields and giving it to the monkey.... I mean on some level you are aware but why waste your time if you're stuck on a puzzle which normally would be simple, but the game designer had a sick twisted idea to make it totally unobvious (is that a word?). I get myself irritated just writing this.

I suppose you just have to be more "used to" playing these types of adventure games... A lot of things take more intuition, which comes easier after being familiar with typical graphics adventure games.

Still, everything you've mentioned still contain either some kind of hint in the game, or is "somewhat" obvious. Let's take a look at them one by one:

1. The parrot whistle

When playing a graphics adventure game (or just about any game), one of the main things you want to do is to pick up as many things as you can. In some other types of games, you might be more wary of this, but in graphics adventure games, the general rule is that nothing you can pick up should be able to harm you. So, is it "obvious" that you'd find the parrot whistle? No. But it's "obvious" that you should try to get every item you can from that room, and the parrot whistle would be one of them. It then becomes obvious that you can use the parrot whistle on the parrots.

2. Names on Manhole Cover

In a graphics adventure game, you should always "look at" all the items around you, as well as items you have picked up. You never know what will give you more clues... so while it's not obvious that the manhole cover will give you names that will get you the prosthetic skin, once you've read the names, it should become more obvious to you as DeadEye Dave tries to tell you his stories. On a side note, another thing that's recommended when playing these games (especially Monkey Island games) is to try to get every possible dialogue out of another character... One never knows what kind of clues might be revealed in conversation, or what other jokes there might be. So, even without reading the names on the manhole cover, you could still get the prosthetic skin.

3. ShmearWhiz

If you try to taste it, you should know that it tastes like something seagulls would like. If you take a look at the seagulls, you know they look hungry. But you can't feed it to them directly. You also know that to beat you, Marco will use his special oil, and that you need to sabotage him somehow...

4. Banana picker on the Tiny Seals

Again, back to the trying to pick up every item rule... You try to pick up every item you can, no matter how insignificant they may seem. The first thing I did was try to pick them up when I got inside the church. If you can't reach it, you're supposed to check your inventory to see if you have anything that can be of use. The banana picker seems like an obvious choice to me.

5. Giving the Tiny Seals to the Musically-Inclined Monkey

Looking at the tiny seals in your inventory, they look like cymbols. I don't know about you, but I'm familiar with a toy that's basically a monkey banging on its cymbols. Seems natural to me to try to give them to a musically-inclined monkey...

Perhaps you're not cut out for these types of games, if you don't really want to spend the time to figure the puzzles out. Just be glad that you tried an Monkey Island game, rather than games like Myst or The 7th Guest/11th Hour... Now those are games where the puzzles have absolutely nothing to do with the story, nor do they have any clues on how to solve them (perhaps they might on rare occasions). More often than not, they just have random puzzles places in different locations, and you just have to try and solve them on your own, without nary a clue from the game.

I think I was pretty right with the game, untill I got to Monkey Island and the damn boulders, I spent ages on that so I consulted a walkthrough only coz it was annoying the hell outta me. Also with Monkey Combat- it just wasn't registering in my brain what I was supposed to do :D

I'll conceed on the point of the boulders... There doesn't seem to be enough of a clue as to the order in which you should toss them to which "tunnel" (unless I've completely missed the clues), the only thing you get is the branches moving, which isn't much of a clue, IMO.

Sure, trial and error works, but how we're supposed to know the effects of the boulders ahead of time is beyond me. If there are some other clues for this particular puzzle, someone please enlighten me.

As for Monkey Kombat... everything was explained by Jojo Jr., you just had to pay attention. That's how I figured it out. :p

Perhaps you're not cut out for these types of games, if you don't really want to spend the time to figure the puzzles out. Just be glad that you tried an Monkey Island game, rather than games like Myst or The 7th Guest/11th Hour... Now those are games where the puzzles have absolutely nothing to do with the story, nor do they have any clues on how to solve them (perhaps they might on rare occasions). More often than not, they just have random puzzles places in different locations, and you just have to try and solve them on your own, without nary a clue from the game.

It's not that, I did very well with Grim Fandango, which in my opinion was much harder, and was a better game. I just think that some of the puzzles were irrelevant and not fun. I thought the whole "free prosthetics" thing was stupid. I just think that some of the puzzles were poorly developed. And that Cymbol banging monkey toy is very cute.:D

Grim Fandango is indeed an excellent game, which in my opinion surpasses MI4, but if you want a really good Adventure Game then buy Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars. You should find info on any of these sites.......

The Unnoficial Broken Sword 3 Site (This has a small "History" Section for both earlier games, also links on where to buy it.)

There is a pretty cool Infopop forum here, with a fair few regular posters, which I mod! :D

---------------------------------

The Broken Sword Sanctuary (This has spec info and a review)

The BSMMI (This has mostly the same info as The BSS, but also has a few links as where to buy it)

These two sites share a Fan forum...... Not operating at the moment.

--------------------------------

Revolution Sofware.Co.Uk (The Big Daddy Site, The official site of the makers of Broken Sword. Info, Specs and links to buy the game at is what this site offers.)

There I a very popular official Fan Forum Here. But it's very crap colour, and very simple.

There are the major links for Broken Sword goodness. The one I'd really like to tell you about is the BSZone, but unfortuanately there is nout on it cos the design isn't coded yet. Bluddy hell, Isak......

Grim Fandango is indeed an excellent game, which in my opinion surpasses MI4, but if you want a really good Adventure Game then buy Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars. You should find info on any of these sites.......

The Unnoficial Broken Sword 3 Site (This has a small "History" Section for both earlier games, also links on where to buy it.)

There is a pretty cool Infopop forum here, with a fair few regular posters, which I mod! :D

---------------------------------

The Broken Sword Sanctuary (This has spec info and a review)

The BSMMI (This has mostly the same info as The BSS, but also has a few links as where to buy it)

These two sites share a Fan forum...... Not operating at the moment.

Revolution Sofware.Co.Uk (The Big Daddy Site, The official site of the makers of Broken Sword. Info, Specs and links to buy the game at is what this site offers.)

There I a very popular official Fan Forum Here. But it's very crap colour, and very simple.

There are the major links for Broken Sword goodness. The one I'd really like to tell you about is the BSZone, but unfortuanately there is nout on it cos the design isn't coded yet. Bluddy hell, Isak......

Archived