Home

Zone Or Gspy?

Prince_Xizor

Which Is Better....Zone Or GSpy......I Know Gspy Is Dumb Cause I Got A Firewall That Cant Be Shut Down.....So I cant host anygames....

Zone Has More Players.....but is slower....and i dont know if my firewall will let me host...i used to play Rainbowsix on it....but i had a different modem back then...

*summons a blackboard, chalk, and a pointer out of no where*

Allow me to introduce you to the client-server model!

A client is a computer that accesses information on server. In the case of your viewing the forums, the client is your computer(more specifically, you web browser). The lucasforums.com server is the...you guessed it, server.

Games work pretty much the same way. When you play a game through the zone, you really are playing an IP match, same with gamespy.

These two services just introduce you to the other player. The host is the server. Everyone else is the client.

Allow me to illustrate:

IP Game:

[client]----\

[client]-----|------internet!-----[server(host)]

[client]----/

Zone/Gamepy Game:

[client]----\        ___zone___

[client]-----|---/--internet!--\--[server(host)]

[client]----/

As you can see(or maybe not ;)), you always connect directly with the server. Just think of the game as a conversation with a stranger. The zone is just the mutual friend that introduces the two(or more) of you.

*puts away chalk,blackboard,and pointer*

If your asking literally, "How do I find the person's IP addy?", well. There is a very simple windows command to find out everyone that you are connected to!

netstat -a

if you are hosting, just look for the port number that GB uses(don't know) and then, under the column "foreign address," is the persons ip! If you are a client, look under foreign address for the port number. And it's that simple.

Archived