Home

Are players ready for a skill-based system?

Niun

One interesting development that I believe will set SWG apart from most of the MMORPG's on the market is move away from a level based format.

I believe this is definitely a step in the right direction. I think it should encourage a lot more interesting character development.

Finally, a character's sole purpose does not have to revolve around their ability to kill mobs. A novel idea. Why didn't someone think of this before?

I'm wondering, though, how the typical hack and slash player whose motivation to play is achieving that next level.

Most players I encounter have been programmed to play in this level based environment. I'm curious how they'll transition into this new type of system.

The trick to it is making sure that there is actually advancement. A character who just started should not be as powerful as one who is experienced. Time invested in a character should be reflected in the power of the character. I suppose this is reflected by how far up the tree you work, but... *shrug* The system is certainly interesting, but hasn't been proven in a large scale Online game.

I agree, you need to have some motivation for skill advancement. The developers have also said that there will be a set skill point cap. This means the end for the master-jack-of-all-trades. It would seem the skill combinations are going to have to be extensive to ensure character variation.

It would seem that SWG does not intent to cater to the power-gamer who would typically spend most of their waking hours trying to make the 'perfect character'.

Without set professions as a guideline, I am curious to see what kind of player professions develop along the way.

I think it may be a good thing that you haven't been involved in any of the other games. You won't be going into the game with any presuppositions about what you liked or didn't like.

One character is never enough for me. I need some variety now and then.

Archived