Home

Additive blend with lightsabres

Flirbnic

Originally posted by Flirbnic

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."

Qui-Gon had a hard time cutting through the door in the beginning of The Phantom Menace.

Probably he had an arm problem..? He's old. Get someone young to cut it :)

Long time ago huh? Star Wars is FICTIONAL, which means ANYTHING mentioned in the movie = Fictional ;)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ushgarak

So I repeat: ANYTHING that can impale someone will cast a shadow. Lasers CANNOT impale.

Dude, it's a movie...

Lightsabers are basically glowing, burning swords. Every example of the behavior can be explained this way. They act like a physical sword- they hit each other, cut stuff, stab, even support Qui-Gon. But they emit light, so they glow. And they don't leave a bloody wound, they cauterize the wound instantly, so they must burn.

So that's all they are- if you ever want to imagine what a saber would do in a certain situation, maybe you should just think of it like that. A very sharp, glowing burning sword.

(The possible exceptions - where they act more like a laser or something else - is how they turn on and off by growing/shrinking and how they do not function in water).

I think this topic has gone a little bit too far now. You people have to loosen up and try not to take these silly little things too seriously; you made your point and continuing this discussion only turns to bickering sooner or later. It's great that developers like ChangKhan try to watch these boards, whenever they have enough time and even occasionally drop in, but lets not use it as a chance to take our frustrations out on them. They are only doing their job, and I have nothing to complain about it. Now, "move along, move along!" :ben:

Maybe I can actually sound intelligent for a moment -- at least to myself.

A quick note, Lord_FinnSon: While I'm all for everyone getting along, I believe that these discussions are what forums are for; to theorize and debate. I find this all very interesting.

Now for my two cents, I read Timothy Zahn's books, and I think he hit the nail on the head. I believe that the physical manifestation of a lightsaber is microscopically thin and amazingly hot, or at least somehow disruptive in one way or another. But it's so amazingly and incandecently bright that the core appears to be an inch two inches thick in diameter. So as for casting shadows, I think it would be too thin to. And I doubt that they actually enhanced the shadows in the movies. I could be wrong, but I think that just happened when they used THX. Anyway, it's microscopic thickness makes it extremely sharp, naturally.

BTW, I don't think it supported Qui-Gonn. I believe he was standing and didn't fall until Maul removed the blade because it took a second before he fell. If you need an explanation for shadows, I like Flirbnic's thought about distortion.

Archived