Home

Outcast for game of the year?

Kodaichi Kuno

<font color=white>

Well I've seen the trailer and JO does look damn tasty. But with PC game titles such as Unreal 2 C+C Renegade and erm... (mind goes blank) other impressive looking titles in the pipelines for 2002 release, will Outcast be the PC game of the year?

Yes I do realise that I've asked a bunch of JK nutcases this question (hell I'm one of them) But if it won't why not? What will?

~Kodaichi Kuno~

Impatiently waiting to get her Jan Ors outfit back on.......

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Have to believe either Unreal 2 or Unreal Tournament 2. Though Soldier of Fortune 2 and Jedi Knight 2 could contend. Cant forget Warcraft 3. Will Star Wars Galaxies be out before Christmas? There is even the smallest but doubtful chance that Doom 3 could be out before the year is up. If console games that are ported to pcs are allowed in this category we cant leave out Grand Theft Auto 3 or Halo.

Cant forget Duke Nukem Forever- it probably wont win in the graphics but maybe just maybe if the game is as interactive as they claim it is maybe it could win for best game of 2002....

second thought, it probably wont be out until 2003.:p

Originally posted by TimTheEnchanter

Have to believe either Unreal 2 or Unreal Tournament 2. Though Soldier of Fortune 2 and Jedi Knight 2 could contend. Cant forget Warcraft 3. Will Star Wars Galaxies be out before Christmas? There is even the smallest but doubtful chance that Doom 3 could be out before the year is up. If console games that are ported to pcs are allowed in this category we cant leave out Grand Theft Auto 3 or Halo.

Cant forget Duke Nukem Forever- it probably wont win in the graphics but maybe just maybe if the game is as interactive as they claim it is maybe it could win for best game of 2002....

second thought, it probably wont be out until 2003.:p

HAHAHA

JK2 wont hold a chance for GOTY. No matter how much anyone says, graphics coupled with NEW gameplay make the best games. Let's think, shall we?

JK2/SoF2/MoH:AA

Old Graphics, Standard Gameplay (except Jedi Knight, but the Force and lightsabers can't save it for GOTY. Also, the realism/pseudo realism of the two latter titles will work against each other in terms of sales. (BTW, I HATE ALL EA TITLES. THEY CANNOT PROGRAM! I HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE EA TITLE WORK CONSISTENTLY ON ANY MACHINE, AND THEY ARE NOT CONSISTENT IN STORING FILES OR ANYTHING ELSE. DIE MOH!)

UT2/U2

New elite graphics (It will blow everything away until D3, end of discussion.), original gameplay (U Ownz J00; heh pun intended)

W3/AoM

I'm sorry, but I really doubt that Warcraft 3 will have a candle of a hope for getting Game of the Year. AoM on the other hand, will, although it probably won't get it, because action titles have emperically held the title more often than their RTS counterparts.

I am sorry, but other games truly don't have a place in the PC GOTY position. They haven't done well in the past in terms of sales and popularity (especially in those areas that especially count in terms of a game's life, ex. multiplayer).

Thus, taking all of this into consideration, my pick would definitely be UT2. I pick this over U2 simply because of the excellent showing that UT had, even without a solid storyline, and even though UT2 doesn't necessarily have a solid storyline compared to other titles such as JK.X, the graphics and gameplay are unique, and i think that it will be GOTY. (Keep in mind that UT was GOTY the same year that Q3 was released...hmm....)

[EDIT]: BTW, on my previous comment on C+C Renegade, I truly don't like those games. I am actually just trying to throw out other contenders to AoM in the RTS category. AoM will own everything. Microsoft can do some things right (or at least buy a company that can eg Ensemble)

hehe...anyway, i was not trying to defend C+C...

If Unreal 2/Unreal Tornament 2 are found to be nothing more than the same game with better graphics, then they will not get GOTY, A game deserving of that title would have to somehow redefine the genre, add something new, or the developers have taken many risks that eventually paid off with that title. If JK2 developers (i.e raven) have truely outdone themselves in the story, the role of NPC's and the player character in the conflict, then there is a good chance for JK2 to be a deserving candidate for GOTY.

Guest X-Vector

Game of the year?

Heeeeeeello, the year is only 2 months old, aren't you jumping the gun just a tiny bit?

Hard to see JK2 as GotY as not that many ppl are into sci-fi games.

Possible GotY games, if they get here in 2002 :rolleyes::

• Homeworld 2
  • Deus Ex 2
  • Unreal 2
  • UT 2
  • Duke Nukem Forever
  • No One Lives Forever 2
  • Outcast 2

Observe that noone of these are my candidates :p.

Originally posted by thrEEpaGe

HAHAHA

JK2 wont hold a chance for GOTY. No matter how much anyone says, graphics coupled with NEW gameplay make the best games. Let's think, shall we?

Old Graphics, Standard Gameplay (except Jedi Knight, but the Force and lightsabers can't save it for GOTY. Also, the realism/pseudo realism of the two latter titles will work against each other in terms of sales. (BTW, I HATE ALL EA TITLES. THEY CANNOT PROGRAM! I HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE EA TITLE WORK CONSISTENTLY ON ANY MACHINE, AND THEY ARE NOT CONSISTENT IN STORING FILES OR ANYTHING ELSE. DIE MOH!)

UT2/U2

New elite graphics (It will blow everything away until D3, end of discussion.), original gameplay (U Ownz J00; heh pun intended)

W3/AoM

I'm sorry, but I really doubt that Warcraft 3 will have a candle of a hope for getting Game of the Year. AoM on the other hand, will, although it probably won't get it, because action titles have emperically held the title more often than their RTS counterparts.

I am sorry, but other games truly don't have a place in the PC GOTY position. They haven't done well in the past in terms of sales and popularity (especially in those areas that especially count in terms of a game's life, ex. multiplayer).

Thus, taking all of this into consideration, my pick would definitely be UT2. I pick this over U2 simply because of the excellent showing that UT had, even without a solid storyline, and even though UT2 doesn't necessarily have a solid storyline compared to other titles such as JK.X, the graphics and gameplay are unique, and i think that it will be GOTY. (Keep in mind that UT was GOTY the same year that Q3 was released...hmm....)

[EDIT]: BTW, on my previous comment on C+C Renegade, I truly don't like those games. I am actually just trying to throw out other contenders to AoM in the RTS category. AoM will own everything. Microsoft can do some things right (or at least buy a company that can eg Ensemble)

Again like I already said Unreal 2 or Unreal Tournament 2 will probably win. But you will notice though that usually about 20 different pc games will get game of the year awards each year.

I don't understand why Unreal 2 or UT2 are so heavy on some of your lists. New graphics + same old story (run, shoot, kill) = a popular game, but not revolutionary in any way. I think the magazines and reviewers are past giving goty awards to the prettiest games. I mean, in 1997, JK won it without having nearly the best graphics. Story and fun is what wins these awards. My pick right now (hard to do this without *playing* any of the games) would be SWG as GOTY. JKII as FPS of the Year. Warcraft 3 as RTS of the Year. Do you really think Blizzard won't get this award? Of course, it's impossible to tell how good any other these games are based on movies, screenshots, and hype.

Swoosh

Originally posted by thrEEpaGe

HAHAHA

UT2/U2

W3/AoM

EA is a publisher, not a development company. And if they have developed, they did not develope MOH. 2015 Inc. Did.

UT2 so far looks just like an upgrade from the original. Original Gameplay? Honestly.. you can only warp the Deathmatch concept so much. Unreal 2? Good graphics, hopefully a decent storyline to make those pretty graphics come alive, and probably the same Multiplayer as the original Unreal.

If your picking UT2 just because of the showing, then your just going along with hype... a showing helps tremendously, but its pretty dumb to state a game with a good showing will be GOTY. Assuming a game will totally rock just because it bears the name of a hit title is also a stupid reason (I dont exclude JKII from this statement)

Force and sabers wont save JKII? Pretty pictures and big suits are going to save UT2... Where do you get that idea?

Every game isnt well judged until its gone gold and hit the shelves and into the greedy hands of us gamers. People thought Renegade was going to be good. It flopped. Horribly in fact. Even the demo was a revelation of things to come. Didn't suprise me one bit Westwood screwed it up so bad. The thing about it was, Mod support and new gameplay style, and the fact you get to take part in CnC battles, instead of directing it. Now.. your going to judge UT2 to be the best of the best because you saw a nice flashy showing and it has the name of a GOTY. Rather pitiful in my opinion.

Theres a difference in speculating whether a game will be successful or not and just flat out saying its going to totally rock and bash other games in the ground.

Originally posted by Desslock

UT2 so far looks just like an upgrade from the original. Original Gameplay? Honestly.. you can only warp the Deathmatch concept so much....... Unreal 2? Good graphics, hopefully a decent storyline to make those pretty graphics come alive, and probably the same Multiplayer as the original Unreal.

Just a little fyi for ya. its a lot more then a little upgrade for UT2. The implementation of vehicles will change the gameplay quite a bit I would imagine Plus some new types of game play, weapons, ai, etc. Sure its a sequel so it will retain many of the good elements of UT. As for Unreal 2, the multiplayer will probably be nothing like the original Unreal's which quite frankly wasnt all that impressive. Expect some interesting team based multiplayer called XMP for Unreal 2.

Just a little fyi for ya. its a lot more then a little upgrade for UT2. The implementation of vehicles will change the gameplay quite a bit I would imagine Plus some new types of game play, weapons, ai, etc. Sure its a sequel so it will retain many of the good elements of UT. As for Unreal 2, the multiplayer will probably be nothing like the original Unreal's which quite frankly wasnt all that impressive. Expect some interesting team based multiplayer called XMP for Unreal 2.

Jeez, does EVERY game require vehicles now? :rolleyes:

You just dont like Unreal Tournament do you, cmon say it!!

Its not that. Its actually fun at LANs :)

Lets think.. HALO, Renegade, Now UT2. Little late on the freshness there eh? :)

Also if you remember Aristotle's report, Vehicles will play a large role in JKII, but I have my doubts that they will be fully controllable like HALO or Renegade. Dont know for sure though.

Originally posted by Desslock

EA is a publisher, not a development company. And if they have developed, they did not develope MOH. 2015 Inc. Did.

UT2 so far looks just like an upgrade from the original. Original Gameplay? Honestly.. you can only warp the Deathmatch concept so much. Unreal 2? Good graphics, hopefully a decent storyline to make those pretty graphics come alive, and probably the same Multiplayer as the original Unreal.

If your picking UT2 just because of the showing, then your just going along with hype... a showing helps tremendously, but its pretty dumb to state a game with a good showing will be GOTY. Assuming a game will totally rock just because it bears the name of a hit title is also a stupid reason (I dont exclude JKII from this statement)

Force and sabers wont save JKII? Pretty pictures and big suits are going to save UT2... Where do you get that idea?

Every game isnt well judged until its gone gold and hit the shelves and into the greedy hands of us gamers. People thought Renegade was going to be good. It flopped. Horribly in fact. Even the demo was a revelation of things to come. Didn't suprise me one bit Westwood screwed it up so bad. The thing about it was, Mod support and new gameplay style, and the fact you get to take part in CnC battles, instead of directing it. Now.. your going to judge UT2 to be the best of the best because you saw a nice flashy showing and it has the name of a GOTY. Rather pitiful in my opinion.

Theres a difference in speculating whether a game will be successful or not and just flat out saying its going to totally rock and bash other games in the ground.

I understand your comment about EA. The only problem that I have had with them is that virtually all of the games that they have made and I have had experience with have had huge flaws, including huge graphics compatibilities with multiple video cards, poorly written programs, and overall bad stuff. =) I am not trying to blame them for anything, but I have been noticing their crap. =)

Unreal 2 is much much more than the original Unreal in terms of gameplay. It will be borrowing more from its UTx and UC counterparts than from the original unreal in terms of multiplayer. For storyline, I think that because it is a sequel to a game that had an actual story and not a DM like UT was, it will be very successful. Sabers and Force powers WILL NOT carry JK2 to GOTY. The storyline is even borrowed! (COME ON HAVE YOU PLAYED RTCW??) I'm not saying that jk2 stole it from rtcw, but seriously, jk2 isnt that original. it has all of the classic star wars clichés, which can be both blessings AND curses. i personally will absolutely love jk2 and u2 and ut2, and will probably play all religiously..but lets face it..jk2 wont win goty....

the new vehicle system that i have heard along with various reviews and perusing the ut2 forums have netted me much info and insight as to why it will be goty (im still not sure on whether or not u2 or ut2 will grab the title, but i think it will go to ut2)

also, on jk2's force speed...in single player...in an interview i thought that someone said that everything else will slow down....hmm...if you dont see any connection to the matrix or max payne on THIS one you should be shot..

and the wall walking? thats called matrix hype riding...if you ask me, jk2 is far from innovative...they are even restricting the allocation of force powers, allowing for a more linear storyline...hardly imaginative and free, if you ask me....

ut2 on the other hand allows for the game to be played from all sorts of angles, not to mention having more than basically a few char. classes spammed throughout the game, as in jk2...trust me on this one folks...jk2 wont get goty....get it through your skullz!

heh..that was long..if im wrong on anything, please feel free to reply......

as always, im used to it!

Archived