Home

JK2 - learning from other new games?

txa1265

Something Brett Tosti said struck me - while we (or many of us) are playing MoH:AA and/or RtCW while we wait for JK2, they (at least he) are waiting until after JK2 is out to play *those* games.

I know I have found good and bad things comparing those games to each other, and to Elite Force (a decent base frame of reference, being a major sci-fi / Raven / Q3-based / FPS game), and I am wondering whether we will get the game and think - if only they had seen X from game Y ...

For instance - the zoom-in scope: I already like that better than either MoH or CW - and I curse MoH:AA for not having something like that! Also, RtCW has the 'sway effect' ... where your accuracy with a scope 'settles in' with time. Not so with MoH:AA - get someone in the scope, even if you just took hits, and you will immediately drop them. Save and reload is another. RtCW seems awful stupid about that - JK/MotS was much better ... but I like the level-based 'AutoSaves' in CW. MoH:AA has a nice table that breaks out whether it is a quicksave or a breakpoint or whatever.

AI is yet another thing - it should be very good, as it is with the other games. However, in RtCW I have occasionally had to 'shake' people loose with a few shots ... and in MoH:AA I hit someone with the Springfield rifle and hear the echo effect, yet a guard 25 feet away still faces the other way (probably wearing a walkman;) ) Also - in MoH:AA you get a team to go with you occasionally, and occasionally (like the pilot) he holds up well unless you are really stupid. However, other NPC's are really just bullet-fodder, but could help you quite a bit. I hope Raven have worked that out ...

Finally, the dead bodies / weapons lying around. The shots I've seen indicate JK2 will be about on par with these other games. So we'll probably occasionally 'lose' bodies or wepons/ammo ... I have heard that JK2 won't have any 'spinning powerups' - MoH:AA seems to have missed a few, with some spinning mid-air guns and even once when I capped an officer his hat fell off but then hung spinning mid-air.

Mike

There will always be 'sticking points' for a game ... this is better here, that is better there ... and so on.

However, it is clear that RtCW and MoH:AA shared development time cycles, and could not have learned from each other. Each has good and bad things - mainly good. And I'm very enthuisiastic about JK2. It has the advantage of having visibility to Raven's work on Q4 and SoF2 ... as well as the comments and experience with Elite Force and SoF - among others. (not to mention years and years with DF and JK/MotS, as well as 2.9 years with TPM movie and preview experience with AotC) I just wonder - when you have hit the late beta stage as it is now, and see something implemented elsewhere that you say 'we should have done it a bit more like that' - what can you do? Perhaps nothing ... perhaps a tweak or two ... and does it matter - like you say, no game is perfect. I would rather they work on bugs than try to pull features from everywhere ... I noticed the graphics were choppy in the last part of MoH:AA mission 4, and that is where I saw some graphic quirks ... nothing killer, but that seems to be where they had called it 'done'.

And at some point they have to call JK2 'done'.

Mike

Archived