Home

Q3 font in JK2? Please no!

bsbuckeye21

I watched the video a few more times and to me the font looks different. In fact, it looks more like the "official JKII font" more than anything. (I'm talking about the one on the logo). Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks pretty good anyways. Perhaps Raven can clarify on this?

Swoosh

actually, it is how the textures are rendered that reminds you of what engine the game is using...UT derivatives and Q3 derivatives are easily differentiable (hehe i hope that someone here has taken calculus to see the pun) .... you can just TELL what engine is being used...

Guest X-Vector
Originally posted by thrEEpaGe

actually, it is how the textures are rendered that reminds you of what engine the game is using...UT derivatives and Q3 derivatives are easily differentiable (hehe i hope that someone here has taken calculus to see the pun) .... you can just TELL what engine is being used...

True, but the point is that there's a variation in the degree to which these games resemble their 'technological forebear'.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault has a look that diverges more from that of Q3 than Return To Castle Wolfenstein or Elite Force do.

It's a case of damage control, to put it somewhat dramatically.

I'm not really worried that JO will feel like a Q3 mod, I'm more concerned about the game being a Star Wars Elite Force mod with bells on.

It still remains to be seen if this is a valid concern, but considering the fact that JO's basic (rendering) tech is very similar to EF's and the obvious likeness in some of the respective level and weapon design at least, I'd say that it would be in Raven's interest (and our's) to offer as much 'originality' as they can in the little things.

That includes providing a display font that's unique to JO.

Guest X-Vector
Originally posted by thrEEpaGe

obviously since jk0 isnt new game technology, it will not do well if it does not distinguish itself from a q3 derivative....

Not if the gameplay is similar to its technological predecessor.

Counter-Strike is very recognizably a Half-Life tech product, but that hasn't really hurt its popularity because its gameplay concept was sufficiently different from HL's.

This is not necessarily the case with JO vs EF, JO doesn't seem to break much more FPS ground than EF did, the main difference lies in the respective 'Trek' and 'Wars' universes they're situated in - which provides JO with the added bonus of the Force and the lightsaber melee combat.

Archived