Home

Plans for dedicated servers.

WD_ToRMeNt

I would like to know what the plans are of other clans and individuals on putting up dedicated JK2 servers. What hardware and connection will you use? Is it at some one's home or office? Will you use a professional hosting company?

I'm really intrested in this because I'm really wanting WD to have a server. There are several options we're looking at.

I'm intrested in any ideas or experiences any of you might have had.

If they release a Linux version of the server software, I'll probably be hosting a dedicated server. I think using the Q3 engine was a great idea, not only because of the technology behind it but also because it's a lot easier to get a big player base if they can use GameSpy instead of downloading 500mb from microsoft and using the Zone. If it comes with an in-game browser, that'll help keep the game alive longer too.

Anyway, right now I run a dedicated Counter-Strike server at IP 66.92.73.6 and it is fairly popular. I'll probly be taking down the CS server in favor of the JKII server if there's a Linux version/port, but I highly doubt the possibility of me installing Windows 2000/XP just to run a JKII server.

Here are the server specs:

- 500MHz PIII

- 256MB RAM

- 768/384 DSL connection

- Linux: Mandrake 8.1

Nothing wonderful, but it seems to be fine. The CS server's page is at http://www.binarynirvana.com if you want to check it out.

-Syko

That would be about what we'd have if I hosted it personaly. How many players could you host w/o to much lag? I've tested it out and found that I could host 8+ w/o any serious lag. I'm looking at other options though.

BTW, I think it would be cool to see a jediknightii.net dedicated JK2 server *hint hint*.

Guest Krayt Tion

I've never run a dedicated server of my own but I still have some information to share. Simple things you might know already, but I know these things to be roughly accurate.

I assume you want a server that can house at least 16 people?

If that is the case, avoid all forms of Cable as your connection for your server. Avoid ADSL. Both of those are unlikely to have the upload speeds you need and perhaps more importantly the latency of those connections often leaves a lot ot be desired, especially with Cable. Almost all cable and most ADSL companies allow line-sharing where your bandwidth is dependent on how many other of the companie's users are sucking off it.

You'll want to eliminate just such fluctuating variables for your connection.

SDSL will serve you well. You'll have access to the higher upload speeds necessary to run a 16+ server, you won't have to share lines, and depending on who you get it from you will have 24 hour line monitoring and be treated like your own ISP. Your ping to your gateway connection should also be very low with SDSL, provided you live reasonabley close to your POP. Shoot for speeds upwards of 768/768 for a 16+ JO server. SDSL will cost you lots, lots more, but it is the way to go.

The next step up is a fractured T1 or a T1. Other than that I'm no networking person, so perhaps I'm not the person who you really need here.

LSF is planning on at least 2 servers (1 American and 1 European).

As for Linux dedicated servers: I've mailed Raven about this a week ago and they say they want to make one, but it's up to LEC. I am worried that it's a month before the game should be released and we still don't have any comfirmation of a Linux dedicated server.

I have been talking to several hosting providers in the Netherlands and the UK and most of the ones that are willing to host JK2 servers (public and private) will only host them if there is a Linux dedicated server.

Archived