Home

engine in development

tristan

for about a month now, I've been programming an adventure game engine. Yes, I know there's AGS, but I have been programming as a small project.

It is completely windows based, and it uses DirectX for graphics - obviously. I might make a friendly development IDE soon.

If anyone is interested in this, could they either email or post a response to this message. Even better, would be if you could make a suggestion or two (eg. How versatile should the scripting language be, or what resolution it should work in.)

Namewise, I am planning to call the engine MAGIC (i am working on what this should actually stand for. Any suggestions for this would also be welcome.

-Tristan Penman

My Adventure Game Inspired Creator

Or something.

Sounds nice. Would need a Windows IDE for definate.

On another note, i've been working on a first person HTML adventure engine, and a 3rd person adventure game engine for Windows in Delphi.

Anyone with any Delphi knowledge is welcome to help. Let me know.

Good luck tristan tho, what are you programming it in?

Mods

you're making an engine in Delphi? same here. great language for that sort of stuff (well, anything really).

My engine is quite usable at the moment. Notable features that are complete include:

WAV support.

Scrollable Backgrounds

Hotspots (respond to both mouseover and click).

Drawable objects (four sets of animations, with a virtually unlimited number of frames per set.)

simple maths functions

and writing text to the screen.

if this makes anyone else more interested, buzz me via email or reply to this post (or something). it's helpful to know whether or not people are interested.

-Tristan Penman [penmans@tpg.com.au]

i'll see what i can do about a demo. at the moment the engine does not run byte code scripts. it just runs the plain ascii scripts, with all the files seperate.

I will probably put it on my site soon. I will make a point of it when I do.

-Tristan

• 3 weeks later...

Archived