Home

Lightsaber diversity. You happy now

Naphtali

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at Ep 1 and 2 sabers...a black saber would be possible. It would cast a black glow. The glow obviously wouldn't be "pure" black (IE absence of light) but would be close enough to black on the spectrum to pass for it...IE really, really, really dark gray :)

The crystals in a saber do affect the glow...but in what way? Most sources say that only certain crystals can be used in a saber (carelessly contradicted in I, Jedi) so perhaps these crystals have some sort of special property that produces the glow color. Perhaps, further, red, green and blue crystals are the most common, (the Sith traditionally use red, Jedi green and blue to differentiate---a product of the Sith War?) while violet, orange, yellow, pink, silver, black, etc are rarer. Maybe Windu's purple saber is an indication of importance, if you follow that line of reasoning. And if you want to incorporate I, Jedi into this, maybe the explanation for Corran Horn's saber is that either diamonds give off a silver glow or diamonds give no glow color...thus the silver result.

Originally posted by NothingMan

What would be nice is for there to be RGB color sliders to pick the color you want. It would be a little bit more effort, but there would be 16.5 Million possible Sabre colors (of course the majority of the colors would be similar, but still).

I am a great advocate of this option, but, i would prefer it if i could say, i wanna go for the RGB value, or, pick from say, ten presets.

So i i want that violet one, i can just pick it from the presets, knowing it loks pure and good, not having to worry about gettin the right RGB code...

Does this make sense?

On the contrary, I think a "solid colored" lightsaber could have an appeal all its own (like a neon sign, rather than having a visible white core like movie sabers)...

Calling it a "lightsaber" and stressing that is has to be "light" (as in "light colored?") is silly. They call them TurboLASERS but we know that they aren't laser beams at all.. despite the name (the certainly don't behave like them).

It's just a name...

Well, still, it's always been said that a Lightsaber also acts as a source of light, don't see something black produce light.

And about more solid colours, even though it could be very cool. I've grown rather fond of the classic look of the sabers ^_^" (I'm not all that fond of change lol)

All the science going on here rox, yes I'm a geek. I was a chemistry major in college, years and years ago, before I dropped out.

But anyhow, I just thought of this. You can't have black or even dark colored lightsabres in the game. Those that would have them would have an unfair advantage in dark rooms, corridors outside in the dark... You wouldn't see it coming.

Peace, HBK

I do not think that a sbaer can be black. If you really look at the sabers, the core is always white, and i believe that it is impossible to change the core color, since it is only energy and doesn't absorb any light. The color comes from the light emmitted from the energy, and it is not the blade itself, which, as Kurgan implied, is not actually light at all. Therefore, it would be impossible to have a white core that emitted a black glow. Even what we call "black lights" actually look purple. Indeed, even a black glow would be impossible since the only way to get it black would be if the saber absorbed all the light that contacted it. And, if it absorbed all the light, then it would there would be no glow at all.

Now, if we want to look at this very scientifically, the saber could changed based on the environment. Now, when an electron absorbs exactly one photon of energy, it gets "excited" and raises up energy levels. When it goes back down it releases the energy in the form of light. The amount of light depends on the atom and the number of levels the electron jumps. Now, suppose we had a constant beam of energy, or a lightsaber. The atoms around it would constantly be absorbing photons, making them excited and then putting off color. The primary ingredient in most planets atmospheres is nitrogen, so a saber in open air would "excite" more nitrogen atoms. The color a nitrogen electron releases after absorbing a photon is a light blue (also the reason why the sky looks blue). So, on most planets the color of light surrounding the blade would be blue. However, on a different planet it might be red or green depending on the element present in the environment.

who gives a **** anyway? I mean, its just a colour... I wouldnt care if there was only green, blue and red..

Of course its good to have variety but a black saber is just lame, I mean what if your in a dark corridor, and all you can see is the saber cause of its light, and some asswipe is using a black one? that would be gay, y not just stick to how the movies lay it out..

CYA :sithm:

This is completely off topic but Kurgan I have to say, your avatar is disturbing....I ....its......disturbing yeah it is, sorry I have been here a coupla months and.....it....disturbs me.................sorry......

as for saber colors, I want a "lightstaff"...one side blue, the other red..........ooooooooooooooooooooo or.......check this...TWO lightstaffs, one in each hand....ooOOoooOOoo

:saberb::saberr:

The primary ingredient in most planets atmospheres is nitrogen, so a saber in open air would "excite" more nitrogen atoms. The color a nitrogen electron releases after absorbing a photon is a light blue (also the reason why the sky looks blue).

the sky is blue because of atmospheric refraction. if nitrogen was absorbing and releasing photons of a light blue, then the air in our house would be blue too!

check this out

Originally posted by aletoledo

the sky is blue because of atmospheric refraction. if nitrogen was absorbing and releasing photons of a light blue, then the air in our house would be blue too!

check this out

Well, i just studied this in Chemistry, and we did photon emission tests and sure enough, Nitrogen was a sky blue color. Our teacher then preceded to tell us that this was why the sky is blue. This guy is not an idiot. He graduated college at 18 with a double major in chemistry and law. He worked as a sucessful lawyer until he decided to quit after he defended a guilty murderer. He then became a chemistry teach and teaches at my high school. He's easily the smartest person that i know personally. He wouldn't tell us this stuff if i wasn't true.

Now, every atom everywhere are not absorbing photons, so not all atoms would emit light, like ones inside buildings. However, the sun does give photons to nitrogen, and they do emit a blue glow. Think of the glow as sea water. If you cup some in your hand, it looks relatively clear, but if you look at the ocean it most certainly is not perfectly clear. The light emitted by air is very small, but the atmosphere is very high, and the light adds up. Its the same thing with atmospheric pressure. The pressure of one molecule of air is very low, but when you add it up over miles and miles of atmosphere, the pressure adds up, equalling one atm at sea level, a fairly substantial amount. Now i won't say that that website is wrong, but i must believe that what i just explained is true. Nitrogen in the atmosphere does emit a blue light, and whether it is the main reason for the sky being blue or not, it certainly is part of it.

Even so, the rest of my previous post stands.

Originally posted by Tie Guy

Well, i just studied this in Chemistry, and we did photon emission tests and sure enough, Nitrogen was a sky blue color. Our teacher then preceded to tell us that this was why the sky is blue. This guy is not an idiot. He graduated college at 18 with a double major in chemistry and law. He worked as a sucessful lawyer until he decided to quit after he defended a guilty murderer. He then became a chemistry teach and teaches at my high school. He's easily the smartest person that i know personally. He wouldn't tell us this stuff if i wasn't true.

Now, every atom everywhere are not absorbing photons, so not all atoms would emit light, like ones inside buildings. However, the sun does give photons to nitrogen, and they do emit a blue glow. Think of the glow as sea water. If you cup some in your hand, it looks relatively clear, but if you look at the ocean it most certainly is not perfectly clear. The light emitted by air is very small, but the atmosphere is very high, and the light adds up. Its the same thing with atmospheric pressure. The pressure of one molecule of air is very low, but when you add it up over miles and miles of atmosphere, the pressure adds up, equalling one atm at sea level, a fairly substantial amount. Now i won't say that that website is wrong, but i must believe that what i just explained is true. Nitrogen in the atmosphere does emit a blue light, and whether it is the main reason for the sky being blue or not, it certainly is part of it.

Even so, the rest of my previous post stands.

Color is based upon the waves(in this case light/photon) that are reflected from the substance, in this case nitrogen. Nitrogen does not emit photons, FYI, it reflects the wave. As far as credentials are concerned, I graduated with a BS in Chemical Engineering.

light sabers are only blue, red, green and whatever else cause george lucas wants it that way. I"m sure if he actually cared he could make a black light saber and just give it a flashlight type glow. If u want to be scientific there are tons of incosistancies in star wars so don't bother.

light sabers are only blue, red, green and whatever else cause george lucas wants it that way.

Actually, read this (quoted from one of the sites I posted earlier):

Phantom Menace producer Rick McCallum, quoted recently on the official http://www.starwars.com site, said that there are ONLY THREE COLOURS of blade - red, blue and green. Persistent apocryphal material insists that sabre blades can be almost ANY colour (as determined by some stupid, treknobabble mystic JEWEL!), but no other variants have yet been seen in canonical material, although the original ANH-novelisation described blades as simply a "pearlescent white". By LucasFilm's own published canon policy, this novel quote is over-ruled by the onscreen evidence.

However, both the author of that site (and perhaps you as well) have not watched the latest Episode II Trailer (Clone Wars) carefully. If you had, you'd see that there are other colors besides R,G,B. The EU has always held that other colors are possible, but now we have "official onscreen canon evidence" that it is not limited to these three from the classic trilogy and TPM.

The issue of "canon" with regards to JK2 is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT because by its very definition (as well as the precedent of the previous games in the series) Jedi Outcast is EU material, it cannot be canon! Thus it is not bound by the "rules" of canon that apply only to the official films, the official screenplays, the official novelisations of those films, and the official radio dramas (in that order).

If it's too hard to imagine a black saber, how about this:

jk2black.jpg

Or maybe this:

jk2white2.jpg

It's a fluffy white cloud! ; )

This is completely off topic but Kurgan I have to say, your avatar is disturbing....I ....its......disturbing yeah it is, sorry I have been here a coupla months and.....it....disturbs me.................sorry......

I don't see why it should be so distrubing for you, if it it does, well, too bad! ; )

As far as black sabers being "lame" you can still have them give off white light (and cast shadows). To the people that say a white core can't give off a black color.. why not? Going by that logic, the "white" core can only give off a white color, not red, green, or blue. The core would have to be the same color as the light it gives off and the "blade."

Note I'm making a distinction here... in the first movie, the saber "core" is white, then the blade surrounding it is either red or blue, and then the saber itself throws off light (into the face of the user, etc). In ESB and ROTJ the sabers don't give off this huge glow, and in TPM, if I'm not mistaken, they give off a slightly tinted glow. In JK, regardless of the saber color, the blade gave off a white glow, even if the saber itself was some whacky color.

I am not sure how JK2 handles this, but let's just say for the sake of argument that all sabers give off a slighty white light, in that case a black saber would be no problem. Even if the sabers gave off colored glows, you could just make the glow from the black saber white, to contrast with shadow. After all, a Green saber wouldn't give off green "darkness" but green light (if it indeed gave off colored light at all). So it wouldn't be a cheat or anything.

You could think of it this way... the white core gives off the white light that is the glow... whereas the "color" may not really extend that far from the actual blade.

He graduated college at 18 with a double major in chemistry and law. He worked as a sucessful lawyer until he decided to quit after he defended a guilty murderer. He then became a chemistry teach and teaches at my high school.

Btw, since this Chemistry teacher graduated College at age 18, what year did he enroll? That's pretty impressive... even if it was just a Bachelor's degree.

are you kidding? kurgans avator is fricking awesome! That guy totally looks pissed off...

anyone who wishes to have a black lightsaber in this game, is a tard

uh oh... *makes way for kurgan*

Lightsaber diversity. You happy now

and no, I'm not happy

You guys can spew science and pseudo-science til the cows come home, but the bottom line is... anyone who wishes to have a black lightsaber in this game, is a tard.

Oh, so now if I disagree with you, you call me names (and not just me, but the other six people who said they agreed)?

That's really mature. ; )

Methinks that deep down, you're afraid that one day a black saber will come crashing down on your closed little world. Then we'll see who's laughing!

Now now.. remember it's not good to insult and flame the guy with the Banning Gun .

Notice how nice I've been... but you on the other hand... I think need some better manners.

I didn't realize it was such a touchy subject with some people, poor way to ruin a decent thread. ; p

Archived