Home

A Question about control set up

TiE23

I'm wondering if it will be to hard to use a mouse when you are using a light saber. Do any of you serious gamers use a different method like a joystick? Mouse or Joy stick, that is the question. Or maybe a mouse\joystick switch, because in the system requirements there is keyboard-mouse-joystick for the controls. :confused: :confused:

way back in the day, I used a joystick to play DOOM.

That was when you didn't have to worry about enemies jumping of ledges 100s of feet above you, only to chop your head off.

When I started to play JK and then into HL, I moved from just using my keyboard into a combo with my mouse. I find that a mouse+keyboard combo makes for the most accurate way to play any FPS game nowadays.

[Edit: I will mention that I know plenty of people who use a joystick in conjunction with a keyboard... not my best idea to play, but hey try it if you must]

I'll just post my reply from a previous thread:

In my Right hand I wield a 5 button wheel Intellimouse.

In my left hand I hold a lightsaber........

.....Actually in my left hand I will use an excessively configured Cyborg 3D joystick - programable buttons etc. Still haven't found a stick that I can use with my left hand with the amount of buttons that I need - like a Thrustmaster FCS or Saitek X36 flightstick but a left handed version.

Aliases or quake scripting will be very important for setting up custom combo attacks. You should be able to bind a unique attack to a single key stroke making for a very personal fighting style. It would be nice if this type of configuring were implimented in a proper user interface someday to allow easier access, like Vsim in Die by the Sword. Dueling is much more dynamic, fluid and natural when script attacks and special moves are on a single key or button.

I'll post some of my scripts and special attacks once I've figured some out....

But alas scripting has its limitations. Thats why a programable controller can come in handy.

Now if someone would write an app that would allow a Saitek SGE like programability for the keyboard. :D

Back in my Heretic 2 days I would liken this sorta tweaking and configuring to constructing and configuring my own lightsaber. ;)

Hmmm.. maybe I'll construct a lightsaber style joystick/controller with plenty of buttons.

I use a joystick with my right hand, and with my left hand I use the mouse and also access the keyboard when necessary. I focus mainly on my joystick and rely on my mouse when I need to turn quickly.

i find the mouse + keyboard combo very effective. i'm not even sure how i started using it? altough i do know it was in jk, that was the first game i played that had "free look" or whatever. ah i remeber now, figuring out that setup and thinking how amazing it was... i think you can move alot faster with a keyboard then with a joystick and mouse?? a joysticks just for precision right? well thats what a mouse is for too, + plus a mouse you can control faster then a jostick, imo. gota get optical mice too, alot smoother and better and amazing

I use a joystick with my right hand, and with my left hand I use the mouse and also access the keyboard when necessary. I focus mainly on my joystick and rely on my mouse when I need to turn quickly.

...thats an idea. Could us the Thrustmaster Cougar in right hand as it has 1500 hat switches and buttons. But in the left hand one would need a left handed mouse, don't know if there is such a thing. Especially one that has Intellimouse equipment.

HOTAS.....no no... HOTAM - Hands On Stick And Mouse

I wonder if JO is force feedback compatible?

When I started with Doom on the PC I was at a friends house and I was used to playing doom on the 32x (yeah i was one of the idiots that bought that) so I wanted to use a controller and they all laughed at me, heh. Since then I have never been able to find a better way than WASD baby. Left hand keyboard right hand mouse. The only people that I have actualy seen in first hand to hold a candle to that kind of control were 2 people that played Duke3d and nothing else at the time when most were playing Quake. They had some setup with pedals, ch-flightstick and the keyboard. I have to admit... they were a wild pair to watch but I could never handle that. Every person starts different I guess but I know "I" could never use anything other than the mouse-keyboard combo for FPS's no matter what FPS game it is.

I use a right handed cordless intellimouse. It's even "ergonomically" sloped in the other direction, so using it left handed in-game took some getting used to. But now it seems perfectly comfortable, despite reverse ergonomics.

Originally posted by MrCrusher

...thats an idea. Could us the Thrustmaster Cougar in right hand as it has 1500 hat switches and buttons. But in the left hand one would need a left handed mouse, don't know if there is such a thing. Especially one that has Intellimouse equipment.

HOTAS.....no no... HOTAM - Hands On Stick And Mouse

I wonder if JO is force feedback compatible?

I think you mean HOSAM

:)

Now you said Hands On Throttle And Mouse

When i get my Cougar, im gonna try programming a nice JO layout for it, just for the heck of it :)

Never cared for mice or joysticks.

I used keyboard only for wolf 3d through quake, and also through JK.

with Quake I was basically in denial, everyone was starting to use mouse + keyboard but i resisted. I actually got to a point where I was able to use my "look up" and "look down" keys so quickly that I almost was as good as someone with a mouse, but finally with what I spose Quake 2... I caved. Still not doing quite what most gamers did though, in that I used a trackball. I have always used trackballs over normal mice.

JK was interesting in that it was really very well played with just keyboard. But as a test a month or so ago in preperation for JO I went back and tried setting it all up with keyboard + trackball and to my joy I was able to get it working great.

Now as for joysticks, or gamepads... well they're just laughable.

Archived