Home

Dark Forces redone for the CE pack?

milestone

I was checking out Avault's release date list (which has JO for 27th) and it had several past lucasarts titles under "Reissue"; what this means I have no idea. I'm guessing that they're re-releasing the titles to be compatible for the new OS' such as XP. The titles are Rebel Assault, Full Throttle and Dark Forces. So maybe the one in the JO CE pack will be compatible with XP. Here's hoping (and here's hoping that the same CE pack gets to Australia).

I tried asking this before, but I didn't get any answers... But it looks like more people have seen this thread, so maybe I'll have better luck this time :).

I have windows ME, NOT windows XP and the sounds does not work when I play Dark Forces. I'm also using Sound Blaster Live sound card. Does anyone know how I could fix this? Is there any patch I can download? Or, is there any redone version of Dark Forces that I could buy that has working sound on it?

From some of the above posts it sounds like Windows XP is the only platfrom that Dark Forces' sound does not work on, however, I have the same problem, is there anyway to fix it for a windows ME user?

Thanks.

For those of you that have WinXP and want to play Dark Forces, try looking up a program called VDMSound in any competent search engine. It's an emulator that allows you (in theory) to play old DOS based games on your new machine.

I do have a newer system with WinXP and I can say that it works for me with Dark Forces. You just install the program, right click on the dark.exe executable, and select "Run with VDMS". Works for all those old Dark Forces custom-made levels too. :)

I'm too lazy to post the link (that, and a 88MB download is hogging my 56k's bandwidth), but it shouldn't take you more than thirty seconds to find.

Oops, seems I didn't clarify something. VDMSound emulates a game in such a way that the game recoginzed your sound card as a viable one. Or at least that's how I understand it. In other words, you'll get both sound and music in Dark Forces.

One problem I did have was installing the game; it said a file on the CD was damaged, though this could be due to seven years worth of scratches. What I did was simply copy all the CD's data to my hard drive and run the .exe from there. It worked.

I wonder if you have the legacy games (not sure been a while)selection enabled in the sound part of the device manager for the sound blaster live. Since I haven't tried playing a dos game in about a year I don' t remember the exact name. Anyway it emulates a soundblaster sound card compatable with dos games. Oh well it worked for me back in the day when.

Archived