Home

How can I enable Volumetric Shadows in MP?

Chanke4252

i wish they looked better. seems Raven didn't do anything to them from the quake 3 implementation. they still erroneously cast over ending surfaces, looks like if they were floating.. and other annoying bits. ;)

hmm actually, there are better shadows than "cg_shadows 3".

In the Q3A engine, there are 3 types of shadows.. "cg_shadows 1" gives u the normal, simple rounded shadows. these give the best performance, but are also the ugliest.

"cg_shadows 2" are the best quality, but also take up the most resources. these shadows look sweet in screenshots.. they get cast off walls instead of disappearing through the wall.. and they're semi-transparent! it varies with different systems, but on most systems, most people will not be able to see this unless they set their "r_stencilbits" to 8, and change their colour depth to 32-bit colour.

As for "cg_shadows 3", it's the same shadows as "cg_shadows 2", but they tend to disappear into the walls, get cast off edges onto an invisible floor, and they're pure black.. can't see crap through them.

:D

just the info i was looking for a while ago. thanks Methuselah

i have framerate to spare without using FAA so i was looking into making quake 3 better looking. which isn't the case with JK2 ;)

it chews up my geforce2 ultra on that open space ctf map with the various catwalks, i forget the actual name.

still waiting for via's kt400 to do a full system upgrade.

Archived