Home

My new skin in progress...feedback welcomed

Absath

Heres the skin im currently working on. its not quite finished, but i have enough accomplished to start getting a general idea of what people think. good, bad, suggestions? its an original (not based on any known character) and obviously im skinning the mandalorian armor to the best of my ability without an acompanying model. so what do you think?

http://photos.netclubs.com/live/photos/photocenter/o/j/k/0/k0hd3qn56k74h2hnjv43jecb9g/Absath.jpg

Kinda looks like youre on the way to a jango fett skin with the metalic parts. I like it except for the head. maybe you could make it jango without the helmet. Since we will see him the new movie without his helmet. Just an idea.

Looks good. What editors do you use? Can some help me get my skin to work? I have read the tut and I made the skin ok and my skin shows up in the setup section...but when try to host a server it doesnt show up. Please help.

thank you jra...thats more constructive. i wasnt disagreeing with unikorn, just his method. stopping by to say that im doing it wrong, without offering suggestions to help me improve my technique isnt exactly what i was looking for. im still trying to get a texture that im happy with on the metal parts, to get rid of that 'fake' look.

I think u should make those areas w/ shaders :) glow armor or reflective set would be nice :)BTW if no one has said it , thats damn nice work :) ur shading might not be correct (who really cares if it is not finished :) I would sudgest pick a focal light source and make the shading on all the armor accordingly ( like a relight reflective line 3/4 to the left of center of the pieces :) if u understand what im talking about :)

the metal needs some more texture

assuming you're using photoshop, here's some tips:

arrive at the base colour by using a solid gray, then burning, then dodging. Trying to even it out, but not totally burning/dodging the whole area, use a small brush so you get inconsistencies. Next, metal has a grain, an easy way to arrive at this is to add some gaussian noise, monochromatic with a grey colour. Put this on a separate layer, and motion blur the noise in the direction of the grain and turn down the opacity of that layer.....

If you are going for a shinier look, I'd opt for a semi-transparent chrome effect (blue sky, brown ground) overtop of the metal....or just use a shader...

I'm away from my pc with jo on it right now, so I can't look at the original skin......but if every aspect of the face and arms is new, then I commend you....

Edit: Also, always remember this when skinning: There are imaginary lights pointing at your model from the top-front and top-back

Sorry, was a bit vague, was thinking about other stuff as well. When you create (a) metallic piece(s) on a skin, you always create them with a lightsource located somewhere. All pieces of your armor will be lit the same way. And yours arent yet :)

wow, a skin for JK that's NOT just a recolour.

keep it up, and don't use ANYTHING out of the original skins, k?

if you do this, you'll have not only my respect, but that of all the good skinners out there.

i'd like to ask everyones opinion on using parts of the original skins..

if you read this, tell me, do you find it to be:

a)lame

b)lame

c)acceptable

btw, you might want to look at some metal pannels in real life, you'll notice the light hits it totally different.

if you need any help (and that goes for anyone who wants to try an original skin) you may email me and i'll do anything i can to help.

mightypea@planetquake.com

*m

well seeing as most people who skin just do it so the can have something they think looks kewl and they like . . .

It is perfectly acceptable for them to use parts from the game, or even jus to recolour a skin. I do not see where the high and mighty attitude comes from. Aslong as the person gives the credit where it is due, there is no problem. I think the only thing lame is the people B****ing about it. You do know this is a video game and that people are doing this for fun. So really who are you to judge what is LAME. Just some other gamer behind his computer, feeling the need to judge people. Hell I give credit to anyone who tries to make a skin no matter if it is 100% original or just a recolour. They are not all blessed with artistic ability, so getting their recolour done, was prob harder for them then it is for some skinners to make original works. Too many trolls in the skinning world, although most of it seems to revolve around the persons own self-esteem issues in real life anyways.

Now listen for a change, netstalker.

NEVER have i seen any mention of them doing it, they NEVER give due credit to the intitial artist.

And they can recolour all they want, it's just that *I* like to see a little bit of effort.

It's nice to see someone put hard work and creativity into a skin.

THIS is what makes it a piece of art.

tweaking something with sliders and filters to look slightly different however, is not skinning.

i suggest you, and anyone supporting rips, to go read up on what skinning REALLY is over at http://www.skindom.com and http://www.polycount.com

i'm sorry if i sounded high and mighty, but i was only praising the man for seemingly doing his own work, and putting effort into it.

now, if he'd not paint the legs and boots himself, i take back my praise.

btw, can you inform me how excactly i managed to sound high and mighty when i spoke in a common, friendly way, and even offered to help *anyone* who wanted me to?

*edit* i just now read the part that comes after "some gamer..." since the rest didnt show up the first time.

i awknowledge the fact not everyone CAN do this, but i wish that the ones that CAN would try (it's not a matter of talent , believe me, EVERYONE can do it if they put their minds to it)

wich is also why i offered help, to further shape ppl's techniques and to make it easier for them too.

i'm by no means a great skinner, and i'm still struggling to become better, so i'm sorry IF i sounded high and mighty.

*m

Actually I do skin, and I know exactly how to do it.

have I used Ripped parts? sure have.

although 99% of all of my skins ever made were 100% original.

See the problem with people like you is . . .

You do not understand that while Recolouring maybe easy for some, at first it is very difficult for others. So they put in their effort and have some kid like you flame them. The high and might attitude I am referring to is the wide-brush flame about ppl that recolour. Like I stated before this is a video game, and some people just want to make what they want to make. Not everyone is looking to make a work of art, actually I would argue most people are not. Heck when I make skins, even when they are 100% my own on a new model, I do not create them thinking I am creating some work of art that will be used as an icon to judge others against. I am creating something that I want, or a friend has asked me to do. Maybe for some people , like i have stated afew times already, that recolour and mix-ripping is just as much if not more effort then it takes me to make a 100% original skin. Your need to judge anyone over their skinning abilities or what they attempt , is pathetic.

net: what's going on here?

i'm talking to you in a friendly way.

i'm awknowledging the fact it's hard in the beginning.

i'm only trying to help

i've also never flamed anyone for using original skins.

not even IF they're not mentioning it.

it's satisfying to create something, especially when it's 100% yours, and i'm only trying to help others achieve this.

i'm not looking to create a flamewar here, as those very much bore and annoy me.

But the current manner in wich you are talking to me is also jsut that, annoying.

please try to proceed in a much more friendly way, thanks.

do you recall this flame beginning over me praising someone with the extra bit of effort he did? do you? good.

now drop it and move on, i'm not attacking you, or anyone for that matter

happy happy, joy joy and all that.

*cough* um, yeah, i needed to chear everyone up right? :)

*m

"wow, a skin for JK that's NOT just a recolour.

keep it up, and don't use ANYTHING out of the original skins, k?

if you do this, you'll have not only my respect, but that of all the good skinners out there.

i'd like to ask everyones opinion on using parts of the original skins..

if you read this, tell me, do you find it to be:

a)lame

b)lame

c)acceptable "

right there is an attack on ppl who recolour.

"And they can recolour all they want, it's just that *I* like to see a little bit of effort.

It's nice to see someone put hard work and creativity into a skin.

THIS is what makes it a piece of art.

tweaking something with sliders and filters to look slightly different however, is not skinning.

i suggest you, and anyone supporting rips, to go read up on what skinning REALLY is over at http://www.skindom.com and http://www.polycount.com "

in that statement you minimize their efforts.

so saying they are LAME, that you do not respect the work, and that they put no effort in what they do

thats a flame.

is it now? or is it someone being a little bit oversensitive?

i asked for this to end, you didnt want it, from this i can only deduct you're a big fan of flames.

i'm ending this now, i don't care WHAT you post after this, i'll post nothing in regards to you anymore.

and i still stand by my points, i don't think selecting an area and moving a slider takes as much effort as skinning.

you say it takes them as long as a 100% skin takes us.

well, that's BS, because how else did we get posts that say

"i just did this in an hour, and i like it"

original skins take substantially longer then an hour, or any multiple of hours UNDER 10.

skins take days if you put your heart and soul into it.

wich is what art is to me, putting emotions into your work.

now, if you want to take this flame further, you have my email, let's not clog this poor guy's thread with our disputes.

On a lighter note...

Kaden: glad to hear this, good luck with it!

*m

well this will be my last post on this subject

I actually have a wedding to go to 2day

in response

This has nothing to do with being over sensitive, it has to do with your childish need to judge others work . Maybe you do not understand what painting something with the same brush means. But some ppl do take hours to do their recolours cuz they just do not have the raw talent to make an original one. Not a matter of over sensitive at all, cuz I actually can original skin, I just hate to see children coming on here insulting others work like it can't measure up, cuz they do not conform to your views of what is skinning. I find most people who care that much about it are really lacking in Real Life.

For example back in Tribes, where I come from, I was on a team known as i$ane $tyle i$. one of the members was a graphic artist, and was really good at it ( he easily made of 200k a year). While he was a pro artist and could make skins that were uncontested in talent. He never judged anyones skins, never flamed anyones recolour. You know why? He had nothing to prove, and he understood this is a game.

Just so folks know, most of the photo albums have NOT been working for me. I don't know if this is just my problem or if it's whatever server is hosting your skins. Everyone who has posted something like this, when I click on the link, I get a "cannot find server" error. This happens both when I open the link directly, and when I right click on it to open. Just FYI.

Unless you are the most accomplished Flash professional of all time, and even then it'd be tricky, Flash will not work to make these skins. You need Photoshop bud. All you need is the model viewer which is posted on the tutorial on how to make skins and photoshop.

Archived