Home

Preventative medicine

Threetall

Hi there,

I plan on installing JK2 this weekend. Unfortunately I have a ton of things to do so the time alloted to do so is small (married to a wife with unlimited husband-projects).

To help me with my task could you give me some pointers and advice. Here is my specs (please no hardware debates):

P4 1.4

756MB RDR Ram

Cable (external USB NIC)

G-Force3 Ti200 (23.11 detonator)

40GB HD (37GB left)

Win XP fully up to date.

If I get prepare properly and get a smooth install then I can get some quality play time in. Your experinces can help me immensely.

Thanks in advance for your kind efforts.:)

My advice? If you've got limited time and other things that need doing, don't even get started playing JKO.

I'm running a rig very similar to yours, except it's AMD with only 256MB RAM. Runs like a dream in 1280x1024x32 (my desktop res). Of course, I haven't reached the notorious swamp level yet, so I don't know if I'll get a performance hit or not. I'm using the latest Detonator drivers (contrary to the general forum advice - which I usually follow) but I haven't had any problems - 2 lockups total (once during FMV, once during loading) and 1 crash. Looks and runs like a dreammmm.

Gamewise, you'll just be itching to get the lightsaber and you don't until later in the game. Don't be too disappointed in the MP saber fights against bots (I was at first), MP really shines against other humans, but SP is where the good fighting vs. bots is. Has a completely different feel. This game has really won me over ... I was disappointed in the beginning but

Enjoy!

I have the same system specs as you. except for the ram, i got 384 Rambus. But the game runs great on my comp. You might hit a framerate drop when you reach the yavin swamps. I got there and i had to drop my res so i was able to play. But you got tons of ram, might be diff for you. And BTW, i havn't had any bad load times, no lock ups, no game crashes.

I'm running an Athlon XP1900+ w/ 512Mb PC2100 DDR RAM and a GeForce3Ti200. It runs *really smoothly* @ 1024x768x32 with all the details turned right up. Even on the swamp levels!

The only crash I've had was after I spawned in about 30 Jedi, 30 'dark jedi' (keeping the spoilers to a minimum,) a whole bunch of Stormtroopers and half-a-dozen AT-STs... Still, I'd have to put that one down to a *PEBCAK.

(*Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.;))

Seriously though, I doubt if you will have any installation problems but be prepared for some early in-game frustration. It takes quite some time before you actually get your lightsaber and with limited time to play, that might make things seem even worse!

Good luck and may the force be with you!:D

so I guess the only similar issue is fps in the Swamps, and resolution adjustment seems to help that.

No code mistakes (sorry but developers cannot predict everything)?

No patches or recommended mods that fix a quirk?

I know its early but you usually see things like this about now.

I look forward to playing. My wife is preggo so taking her shopping for two hours wears her down and garuantees me 3-3 hours uninterrupted play time while she naps.:)

[rant on]

Well I kinda expected it. No 3D hardware detected. Went back a few generations of drivers (all the way to 21.82) and re-installed the game each time, to no avail.

From what I see in the tech forum this is happening a lot. The only suggested repair is to use an older driver, which is totally unacceptable, although I tried and it doesnt work.

I figure 15 days is ample time to iron out bugs in game after its released. Especially for compatibility with the most popular chipset. If they cant get a solution by then, well, thats a sign of the times, and I will return it.

[rant off]

Archived