Home

What really annoys me about Duel servers...

Jedi Child

listen up:

for all you people setting up Duel servers:

only a complete ass would set up a frag limit of 20 kills (in other words two people duel each other until one reaches 20 kills).

I've been trying to find a game of duel and all i see on most of the servers are idiots who've set up internet games with a frag limit of 20! some people are so absent minded, it mystifies and beggars belief.

Frag limits of 3 kills are bad enough.

Set your frag limits to 1 and let people PLAY! that's what they're on the internet for. Set up a 20 frag limit on LAN games, not on the internet. What the heck is the fun in waiting half an hour or more? The fun is in the playing. Spectating for too long is a pain in the ass. Frag limits of 1 keep the rotation fast paced and punchy.

Also: Don't set up servers for dueling with more than 8 people. I've seen servers for 12, 16 or even 32 players! With so many players you're waiting far too long to get a game. Spectating is fun, but i've got a life too, you know. I didn't dial-up so that i could watch people playing for the majority of my time on the net. A maxium of 8 players reduces waiting time, and also helps keep lag to a minimum. Infact, i'd say 6 players max is the ideal.

Common sense would help some times, dont you think?

*sigh, that's what you get when noobs dont know how to operate the set-up options..

/rant over.

Guest PissedJedi

It took me literally 20 seconds from the moment I launched jk2 to selecting a duel server.. and it had the frags set to 2.

So Sorry you are in correct you did not search hard enough.

acdcfan:i doubt that.

another shocking tactic catching on is the increasing use of the Strong stance and the one hit kill move. It's cheap. Just watch people dueling and you'll see some fighters never change their stance from strong. The just time their runs at you and do the same damn slash over and over again.

pissed jedi: A frag limit of 2 is also stupid. it's better than 20 though, granted.

i've just been on a server where some fool has set it up so it's a frag limit of 2, jedi powers enabled. Most are using the health regen for the light side. Coupled with that and the longer waiting time, you get the owning because of the cheap one trick kill.

Duel's are increasingly becoming less about skill and saber play, and duelists are turning into one trick ponys. :rolleyes: it's negative development, and doesn't move the game forward.

I think many of you have overlooked the most propable cause of the 20 frag limits. The reason some servers are set to 20 frag limits is because of them voting out of say a FFA game and then into the dueling game. That is the only reason there is 20 frag limit. This is sort of a bug and should be fixed so that the frag limit changes to 1 after the game has changed from FFA to duel.

UsEr-X-:fett:

The strong stance sounds powerful, but anyone who does the same thing over and over is fairly predictable, and that's a fatal flaw in MP. I'm not the best MPer out there by far (read I SUCK), but even I can take advantage of predictable players. I'm sure playing styles will permute the longer the game is out there.

Jedi Child, you sound more like the PissedJedi, while PissedJedi sounds like he should be LaidBackJedi. Maybe you need to try to be a more RelaxedJedi.

Chill Jedi Dude! Enjoye!

The lightsaber stances are balanced. If you can't dodge a strong saber attack then you're just slow. They have to wait like 5 seconds after the swing finishes to swing again (or around 5 sec). And the swing is incredibly slow compared to medium and fast styles.

On the other hand, the fast style deals little damage and you can swing almost at will, which is good against people using the strong style since you can just back up when he swings then try to kill him while he waits until he can swing again.

Don't knock the strong style just cause you're not smart enough to avoid the blade.

Originally posted by Jedi Child

acdcfan:i doubt that.

another shocking tactic catching on is the increasing use of the Strong stance and the one hit kill move. It's cheap. Just watch people dueling and you'll see some fighters never change their stance from strong. The just time their runs at you and do the same damn slash over and over again.

Duel's are increasingly becoming less about skill and saber play, and duelists are turning into one trick ponys. :rolleyes: it's negative development, and doesn't move the game forward.

Jedi Child,

There was a thread, don't know if you saw it, it still ought to be around, talking about the strong stance and stances in general. I'ld tell you the name but I can't remember it, but if you find it it's got some great tips for all stances for and against. with this comment on duels becoming less about skill and sabre play, and duelists turuning into one trick ponys, you might want to surf around. There are A LOT of treads that deal with ways to deal with this as for the skill... I was involved in a sabre only ffa where one of the dudes was begging another to teach him how to duel. The instruter told the guy some tips, which we could all see of course, and the guy made the same comment. The instructor disagreed though, as do I. The art, I call it an art because it is, of Dueling is trying to find the balance between looking totally foolish and being completely deadly. You have to get the timeing down. You have to know the environment. You have to be able to swich stances for the right moment. You have to be able to move right. A lot of people think that there is only one right moment and so they use the heavy stance. There is an art, avant gaurd though it may be, to the duel and trying to figure it out is what everybody is trying to do. Get onto a server and let the crap get kicked out of you and then see why you died. Everytime you lose, see why. Don't get mad, get smarter.

the craziest thing is a timed duel...where they play each other for like 10 minutes, going through a dozen to two dozen kills a piece. it took me awhile to figure out why people weren't moving forward in line.

the only good thing about this, is if you're the leader you can get past a death or two and be playing all day.

Archived