Home

Patch Request - Grief Play Measures

Joruus

I just spent an absolutely lame 20 minutes playing CTF on the Gamers.com CTF server.

This jerk....who changed his name every 20 seconds, but started out as TheForce, then went with bilder, would run to the enemy base, grab their flag....and then HIDE with it and never capture it.

We tried to callvote kick him...but we'd get one vote off, and and after it he'd call gametype votes before anyone could try to vote kick him off again and hold the vote system hostage for extensive periods of time.

And to confuse things further he would change his name randomly to people on the server, people on his team, people on the enemy team...it didn't seem to matter.

Now the BIG problem with this is that not enough people know how to VOTE on a server.

ITS DEAD SIMPLE people. HIT ESCAPE thats the LAST KEY ON THE TOP LEFT SIDE of your keyboard MARKED ESC!

Then, in the BLUE TRANSPARENT MENU that appears in the TOP OF YOUR DAMN SCREEN, hit VOTE, then hit YES, its THAT SIMPLE you can, as a server KICK SOME JERK OFF IDIOT thats ruining the game for everyone else, if you take a MOMENT to VOTE.

But the bigger problem is the guys ability to hold the vote system hostage, and his ability to hide on NS_streets where NO ONE could find him. I even switched off his team so I could find him and kill him so the other team could cap, but no luck...theres apparently a brush out of view that someone can stand on.

So, I'd like to request grief play measures be considered for addition to the patch. And here are my suggestions.

• Idle Timer/Auto Kick - This will kick anyone that doesn't move at all for a predetermined amount of time. Preferably about 80 seconds
  • Vote Abuse Kicking - If the same person calls a vote more than twice consecutively, they get kicked.
  • Vote Flood Protect - The same person cannot call a vote within 45 seconds of the last vote they called.
  • Flag Holder Kick - A script that kicks a flag holder if they hold the enemy flag for more than 45 seconds while their OWN flag is availible at their base.
  • VOTEKICKBAN!! - I cannot stress this feature enough, an addition to the vote menu which allows players to vote and kick/ban a player for a period of 90 minutes. This way the grief players cannot get right back on the server and start doing it again.

Because most administrators DO NOT hover over their server consoles, these things are imperative additions to the JK2 multiplayer game, otherwise, the CTF servers will be useless as more and more lamers get the idea that they can do this kind of thing and get away with it.

Some of us want to play Teamplay JK2, and this is the kind of thing that will keep us from doing so.

Please consider my suggestions.

Damn right, J!

It's impressing, how unable some people are to vote. On every server I played so far, any vote that was called got not more than to Ys or Ns... (vote called by myself: only one Y)...

I think it depends on people themselves and how "easy" it is for them to vote. Take RTCW for example: a vote is called and all you gotta do is press F1 or F2. Very easy and no need for ESC and leave game for a while (yes it's a very short while, no more than a few secs, but for these people even those secs are too much to work it out.)

So, it's sad and frustrating, but I think votes are dead on this game... 'cause people are too lazy too do anything...

Hmm,... quite frustrating, isn't it... :mad:

Instead of kicking the player, if both flags are Out, a timer starts(60 Seconds Maybe) that will return both flags in at the same time. At the same time, Why you say? Because if one player takes out the flag, then another 10 seconds later,...well I think you get the point.

The flag timer, idle timer, etc, none of that is needed if the voting system is just slightly above mediocre (as it stands, it's atrocious.)

Tribes 2 has the best and only decent vote to kick TK system, only people on your team have their votes count, and only the people who vote have their votes count. So if four people vote yes, he's gone. It's also a temporary IP ban of ten minutes, so they can't keep rejoining.

Adapting this would solve all problems.

I think part of the problem is that some people are focusing so intently on the game, they just miss the vote calls. I have to admit, I don't really keep track of the stuff at the top of the screen when I'm in the heat of battle. I happened to glance up in the middle of one game, to see a vote call - but if I hadn't looked up, I would have missed it.

Maybe if there was a flash-up in the centre of the screen for a couple of seconds asking for a vote, people would take more notice - or even realise a vote is required. Barring that, they should make it a really bright, glaring colour so it smacks you in the eyeballs.

Anyway, I'll move this over to Game Feedback. ;)

Archived