Home

GeForce4 MX 420 - WTF?

ExplosiveChild

I have what the title says as far as video cards go - and JK2 will NOT run at all. I have tried everything. I'm running Win2k, I have a compatible sound card and everything...I've tried installing drivers, gone to the nVidea site, and everything! I cannot figure out the problem. What happens is one of the following: 1. A white screen immediately pops up after startup - which freezes the comp. 2. The Lucasarts logo pops up for about 2 seconds with sound, the computer has a bluescreen which lasts about 1 millisecond, then the comp resets. 3. If I click a WHOLE lot right before the comp freezes or resets, I can make it to the main menu and into the game. The game HOWEVER freezes the second it gets to the scrolly-down-stereotypical-starwars-text stuff. LOL...Please someone help!! I don't want this 50 bucks to go to waste!

I am using driver version 28.32 off of the nVidea site...I have tried both the CD drivers(the nVidea CD that is), and the site drivers. They were two different versions. Neither work. Also - I tried running the game in safe mode to no avail...It still resets on the starting animation. =/ Thnx for at least responding

The GF4 MX cards are POS hardware mang. NVidia conveniently left out Vertex/Raster Shading support among other key GPU features. It also only has a pathetic 2 rendering pipelines and a measly texture per pass of 4. It's a total crap budget card. Hell, you'll get performance from a GF2 Pro card. If you recently bought it, I highly suggest you return it. You can get a GF3 Ti200 for the same price and far better performance for your buck mang! .....just my .02 S!THsense!:p;)

Well that's right and most OpenGL performance codes has been removed too that's why i don't like the cheap versions they mostly don't work like u wish (or thought) they would and DX doesn't have complete support for the geforce4 chipset it'll have it soon i think but if u still have 8.1 or lower that could be the problem or if u use opengl try finding openGL drivers for ur card might help too.

Regardless of the status or current design of the card, the game designers surely knew about it(they get early releases of game hardware or at least specs). Its only good business sense (and it is a business) that you design a game to be 100% compatible with the current model of graphics card from the most popular manufacturer.

I have a geforce4mx420 and the game runs fine not great but fine...I don't know what your problem is because all i did was install the new card and dirvers and play the game. It took me like 2mins to get the card installed and running on my computer.....and it worked fine....the only reason it did not run at 60fps on my system is because i only have a 500mhz celron with a 66mhz fsb....so the bottle neck is my system not the card......anyways it must be something with your operating system or Motherboard.....sorry dude that must suck

Ahh! The two that it works for - what version of the drivers are you using? Just the ones on the CD?? And also - what version of directX are you using? Thnx everyone...I'm about to just return this video card now=/...I should've looked into it before randomly choosing a not-too-expensive card off the shelves!

it maybe a bad card, is it a new video card, tell me does it lock up when you run other games?

Most of the time Lockups are caused by

A bad drivers or

B a defective card

I've had this happen in the past and the only way to fix it was to replace the card, bad memory can also cause problems like this but you would know if it was the memory because this would happen with a lot of programs, by now as most of your programs would lock up too if your having lots of problems then that could be it also. you could try ram testers that can befound on the net, the one on your bios at startup will not really find faults in your ram.

try running other open GL games like Medal of honor or Return to Castle Wolfenstein or quake 3 and see if you get the same problem. If it does it on all your Open GL games then it could be the card it's self, if not its the driver version, may not like this game. some drivers don't like some games I have found this out the hard way.

my last video card would lock up on all 3d games and sometimes it would lock when I installed the games, the card was at fault and needed to be replaced under warranty.

also try reading the manual for your card and see if there are any bios settings that need to be set for that card to work. I would almost recommend you go to the card maker's site and read there help page and if they have a message board there maybe see if other people are having problems too, it could be the version of your card doesn't like this game, that happens, this pc world isn't perfect and things don't work alwasy right, a flash to the card my fix the problem.

I would almost recommend you contact your card maker and tell them about your problem, you may get a newer version of your card out of it. who knowns...

That would be a good idea but you will not know forsure if that brand of card has a fault with this game. I first goto the card maker page and see if you can find postings by other people who have the same card.

Read up about things before you buy them. other wise you could end up in the same problem again. I am not talking about reviews I am talking about normal feed back from users like your self.

Just because it says NVIDIA on the box doesn't mean it follows the standers that are placed by the company.

The Drivers on the CD sucked A$$ and I orginally ran installed them but nothing but problems, so I have the Lastest Det. drivers from nividia and It rocks..

The card is not meant for a Hardcore gamer.. I picked it due to the pricetag was right and my voodoo card was not being supported...

I have a GeForce4 MX 420 and the game runs perfectly.

Although, I am running Windows XP it should still run for you.

Make sure you are using the most updated video card drivers.

Your card should have came with a CD with drivers for your specific OS. Make sure you installed the correct drivers for Windows 2000.

:atat:

• 2 weeks later...

I have win2k, gf4 420mx and don't have any problems with the game. I had Voodoo 3 but I had a lot of problems with it and was frustrated with the speed anyways so I decided to buy the "ultimate budget card". I'm using W2K_XP_2835.zip drivers.. guess that stands for xp 28.35 detonators for win2k :) My win2k has service pack 2 installed.

To me it sounds that your problems are motherboard related. Personally I haven't encountered anything similar to your problems but a lot of my friends have had strange sound and stability related problems and updating normal drivers didn't help. All of those "unexplained" problems have been solved by just updating the motherboard bios/drivers. I suggest that you go to your motherboard factures homepages and search for any information regarding your problems.. hope this helps.

(About getting that white screen in the start.. I get that too but it last only about 2 secs and then the game starts. Those blue screens could indicate that you have overclocked your cpu too much.)

Archived