Home

DF Series Storyline Continuity (Revised, and w/ Spoilers)

Kurgan

You're probably referring to the "Katana" Fleet, there. ;-)

And I never really noticed Yun's 'saber style. I haven't played the game in over a year. I should really boot it back up again..

As for EU references, I remember Chewbacca teaching his kid how to hunt wild animals called "Katarns", but I'm sure that's just purely coincidental.

The color change from JK to MotS might be due to the crystal in Yun's 'saber wearing down. That's just a guess, though.

And you'd think that if Kyle ever had a color preference, it would probably be green - the color of his very first lightsaber.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for EU references, I remember Chewbacca teaching his kid how to hunt wild animals called "Katarns",
Yup, I think I remember reading somewhere than a Wookiee killing a Katarn with its bare hands is some kind of rite of passage thing. There was also a squad or something called the "Katarn Commandos", whose logo had a Katarn beast leaping in front of it, although I don't know if they had any connection with Kyle - I think they were led by some guy called Paige.

Originally posted by princessliar

There was also a squad or something called the "Katarn Commandos", whose logo had a Katarn beast leaping in front of it, although I don't know if they had any connection with Kyle - I think they were led by some guy called Paige.

Lieutenenat (i think) Page, he appears in Rebellion PC game

Originally posted by Wes Janson SMR

Page! I remember that guy. He's from the EU X-Wing series. I think he and his squad came about in Wedge's Gamble. I could be mistaken on that particular book - it's been almost three years since I've read from the series. '-)

True, except he originally appeared in Zahns Thrawn-trilogy

Since we all agree that MotS takes place AFTER JK (which is fairly obivous, because Kyle never knew anything about the Force before JK), then it would be safe to assume that the saber in MotS, is, in fact, the same one used in the latter parts of JK. As we all know, colour continuity doesn't count for much...seeing as how you can replace crystals, tweak hardware / software, or replace colours.

I think I have an interesting theory about this.

First of all, we have to put these events in place:

1) Events in Jedi Knight take place.

2) Events in MotS take place.

3) Events in JO take place.

4) Kyle attends the Jedi Academy (he did, for a short time).

Personally, I think they should go like so:

1) Jedi Knight

2) Kyle attends Academy

3) Events in MotS take place.

4) Jedi Outcast.

I'll explain this theory.

1: In Jedi Knight, Kyle first encounters the Force, and learns to use his first lightsaber. Because of this, and because he's obviously younger in this game, JK comes first. His first lightsaber is destroyed by Boc, and while about to be struck down by Sariss, Yun defends him, and is subsequently killed. Kyle retrieves Yun's saber, and subequently defeats the remaining Dark Jedi.

2: Kyle, after having his first experience with the Force and almost falling to the Dark Side, attends the Jedi Academy on Yavin 4. During this time, he constructs his first light saber, and decides the Academy isn't really for him. He lets Luke hold onto his first saber, and goes off doing stuff.

3: MotS. Because Kyle obviously had to have had TWO sabers, the one in MotS HAS to be Yun's. If Kyle decided to replace the crystals, he would obviously have done so after learning HOW on earth to do it (we all know he wouldn't spend ages sitting around trying to figure out how it works, he'd smash it first). Hence, he replaced the crystals after leaving the Academy, wandering around with his lightsaber doing things. He meets Mara, almost falls to the Dark Side again, and subsequently tosses Yun's saber. Maybe because another brush with the Dark Side was too much for him, maybe because he's sick of using the Force, maybe because he respects Yun too much to soil his saber, who knows.

4: JO. Kyle returns to the Academy for the saber that he built oh-so-long-ago. Blah Blah Blah...

Another, not-so-crazy possibility....

MotS takes place AFTER JO. This might make a whole lot more sense, seeing as how he would have his saber, could replace the crystals, make it orange, meet Mara, and toss the saber again. Dunno though...

In the manual says 'after the events of JK and MOTS..' i think

Anyways as we can see in the opening titles, the right chronology is:

DF: before ANH to a little later

JK: just after the Battle of Endor

MOTS: 5 years after JK--> just after 'the last command' so no jedi Academy yet

JO: 8-9 years after JK

Sooo:

DF-JK-MOTS-JO

Originally posted by Kurgan

They did? Then that settles that part then.... ; )

PS: Where can I read the quote?

Don't you read the crap on your own main page? '-)

This is an interview with the script writer to JO. So he's pretty much more than just a "rep" as I said before. And a bit clueless, if I do say so myself... ;-) But here's the quote straight from the interview:

As said by Mike Stemmle, scriptwriter for JO

Several Years Ago: Mysteries of the Sith happens (#23 of 3000 in the ever-expanding "Sith Happens" lame joke series…collect them all!)

A Short Time after That: Kyle drops the Force like a bad habit, and leaves his saber with Luke. The definition of "Short Time" can be stretched as necessary.

Years Pass: Kyle goes back to being a hired gun for the forces of good, with his partner Jan. He acquires, and successfully kicks, an addiction to bantha jerky. His ability to wield the Force atrophies.

Now: Kyle encounters the Jedi Outcast, and reclaims the Force in a fit of rage.

That's a lot of wording to it, but it confirms what the manual says. The only blunder is the real passage of time, which is inconsinstant in some documents. But the chronology of the games are canon, as far as the series is concearned: DF, JK, MotS, JO.

Lol, I try to read everything, but I glossed over that one.

; p

A lot of hilarious answers and "side-step" answers in there, heh.

Thanks for posting!

Q: Why was there another color change to Kyle's lightsaber? He ended Jedi Knight with a yellow blade, and used an orange blade in Mysteries of the Sith. (Which was possibly intended to be the same yellow one.) When did he build/find the blue saber and give it to Luke for safekeeping?

A: There are number of dry, metatextual reasons for the color change, all of which would bore the living bejebus out of y’all, trust me. I’m loathe to give a "canon" explanation for the change, however…particularly when the fan-driven speculation on the topic is far more rational than anything I would dream up.Aw, come on! Don't make me put up with another 3 years of people discussing this saber coloring "error" on the web....

So I guess we can keep debating that one...

He also says that Morgan was a Jedi and had a lightsabre dispite that never being in the games. In the novels it flat out denies that he was a Jedi, but it does talk about him being Force-sensitive. He decided against becoming a Jedi, though.

Ya'll have alot of time on your hands, don'y you?;)

The reasons for the saber colors for Kyle are as follows:

The first one sat in a droid for years, and got moldy, hence green;

The second one was from a man secretly happy, a nice cheery color, hence yellow;

The third shows the cherry blade wearing out, it got darker, just like some bulbs do, hence orange;

And the last one- he is depressed and feeling down, hence blue

Or, maybe, he was feeling smurfy.

Or, maybe, it could have been, just likely-

Human Error on the part of the designers.

ive been a fan of this series since Dark Forces came out, but i have yet to find out one thing about kyles lightsaber in JK2...When Jedi knight ends, (and mysteries of the sith ends), kyle has the golden lightsaber that he took from yun when he fought serris in the origional jedi knight. Kyle vowed never to use the force again, turned in his lightsaber, bla bla bla...but if he ended both of the other games with the orange lightsaber, how did he come out with a blue lightsaber that luke was holding for him all this time...there was no record of any sort saying that he made his own saber, or he took someone elses, he just seems to end up with a blue saber...can someone make sense out of this for me??

-SpMonkey §ß

:mob:

Originally posted by Zek

You know, I think you're the first person ever to notice that! Congratulations!

Lol, give him a break, search is down last I heard.

I don't know a detailed explanation, but theory was he trained at the Academy for a while after MOTS and as per his training built a new saber.

Or he just built one on his own, who knows.

Archived