Home

56k Yay or nay?!!

Uber boWman

Well here is my dilema!!

This game looks wicked and im sure that most (if not all) would agree to this. My specs are good enough to run this game easily BUT im mainly interested in the multiplayer. This presents a problem cause i have a 56k and i was just wondering if any of the 56k players could tell me DOES IT LAG REAL BAD?!?! or is it good enough to live with??

It's OK. Not quite as smooth as Half-Life/CS but better than Q3A.

I find that all Q3-based games lag quite a bit over 56k, but this one seems a bit better lagwise than either RtCW or MOH:AA for example.

I certainly don't notice the lag like I do in those games. Of course, I may just be looking at this one through my fanboy goggles!:p

I have a 56k modem and went on MP for 2 and a half hours on both saturday and sunday.....no lag! ...well when there wasn't more than 6 people in the game. Just like playing the bots...smooth!! ..I followed the advice i read on this forum and sorted the servers through Ping rate...then chose the lowest ping games (they were in the UK which is where i am) with a couple of people in them...

its awesome!! !...give it a go...some games i couldn't get on, but the ones i did worked great! .. i tried to get into a CTF game but that slide-showed abit so i've just been going on Duel and Free For All servers and they are fine!!!

Hope this helps.

Porl-Patine''

I couldn't play wolfenstien at all!! ! ! !...me and everyone else were teleporting like crazy!!... ..

I was dueling and everything at the weekend.. ..I had a ping rate between 266 and 450. Everyone else were in the 40-80's but i think they were on cable or something. My game never slowed down and no one else complained.

You've just got to be lucky, you'll find a good server and it will be excellent!

Porl-Patine''

Originally posted by FatboyTim

Forgot to mention, the servers I've played on are mostly 16-player FFA.:)

what?!!? ..maxed out aswell?! ..16 people playing? ...jeebus!! *g*..

I was playing about six people, it was really good fun!! .. ..

Porl-Patine''

Err,

Well I only been playing for 2 days but I been noticing ALOT of lag in games with more than 12 people. Its been pretty diffiult for me to use the saber when people are teleporting all over and swinging like wild animals.

However, the game runs NICE on the duel servers. Much less lag and much more fun (IMHO).

Also when I do find a ffa server that pings goood, its for "low pings only." Talk about a let-down...

Good luck.

Peace,

Bronze

I'm running on a 56k line to, and JK2 runs rather well for me lag wise. I typicaly get pings in the 200-250 range, so there's a tiny bit of lag but the game is very playable IMO.

A trick that may help (It helped me alot) is to set your rate to 3kps, the default is 4kps.

To do that, go into the console in a MP game, and type /rate 3000

56k is horrendous for me. Every other non-Q3-based game I have runs smoothly on my dialup, but any game I try that uses the Quake 3 engine lags horribly. Quake 3, Elite Force, MOHAA, RtcW, they're all horrible. I can ping a server outside the game and get a 200 ping, but as soon as I join the server my ping somehow magically shoots up AT LEAST 500 ms. Playing with a ping of 700+ is just about impossible. This only happens in Q3-based games. I've messed with all the Q3 connection settings (rate 3000, snaps 20, etc) and none of them have helped.

While the Q3 engine may be a technical marvel (Carmack is God :)), whoever wrote the netcode for Quake 3 (and therefore Q3 engine games) needs to be shot. Many times. At close range. With a big shotgun.

And not having ping compensation like Half-Life does is just about a sin these days. I can play Day of Defeat with a ping of 500, and if I aim at a running soldier and fire when he's in my crosshairs, the server compensates for my ping and I get the kill. In any Q3 game, I have to lead my shots again. Leading targets is something that shouldn't have to be done anymore, no matter what your connection is.

Agreed!:)

Valve worked wonders with their netcode for Half-Life. (I can't wait until DoD b2.1 replaces the lag in b2.0!)

The Q3 netcode sucks for us narrowband users (no cable/adsl in my area... :() Having said that, JKII has been my best experience of it to date.

not had any problems at all.I run a Trust ESP-II external modem and im never getting anything higher than 300.it normally runs at 150 or just higher than that all the time.mind you i normally go into servers with a max of 8,but even so when i connect to a max 16 server it still doesn't affect gameplay that much.

i think the people that are having lag issues with any game on 56k are having them because they are using an internal modem which IMHO are a pile of (-insert naughty word here-).i always had lag problems when using my old internal modem but they all went away when i went out and got my external :)

thats interesting man.....Im running an external 56k modem and I never thought about it affecting lag or not....i'll have to try JO on my dads machine which has a built in Modem... ...

interesting....why would an external modem be better than one thats plugged directly into the motherboard??!?...I asked my friend this (who had the external before i bought it off him) when he was telling me that external's are better than internals. . .i cant see how an external would be better...

Porl-Patine''

I use an external modem too. They are 'hardware' driven rather than the 'software' driven (internal) winmodems. I found that the intenal modem that was bundled with my PC gave me great download speeds when using the 'net, but an utterly awful ping when gaming! (About twice as high as the external modem I use instead.)

Guest miked

I'm on 56k and I have to say JO is the most lag-free game I've ever played - and I live in Australia !!

In fact JO is probably going to be the first game I've consistently played online.

As othershave pointed out this is probably the most 56k friendly game using the Q3 engine. One of the nice things (unlike CS or TO for instance) is that you respawn and don't have to wait out rounds. This means it can be far more enjoyable than those round based games.

HOWEVER you'll never be a top player with 56k. Once upon a time 56k and ISDN were the only two connections around and really good 56k players could out play merely good ISDN players. However the gap between Cable/ADSL and 56k is so great that even the very best 56k player won't stand a chance against a decent cabler. If you can live with the fact that kills against quality lpbs will mostly be luck then you can enjoy the game. Just pray for plenty of crap lpbs to mutilate because a crap player will still be crap even on a 20 ping and keep to half empty servers so you connection isn't saturated.

PS. Duels are better for 56kers as there is two components when playing. BANDWIDTH and PING. And when Duelling you only suffer bad ping (hopefully :) ).

Jun...some people cannot get cable or DSL in the areas in which they live...if you knew about availability and Internet structure you might have known this. I gues that would mean you don't know anything about it and since by definition moron is one who is lacking intelligence well......

I am on a 28.8k, and JKII:JO runs just fine on servers with just a few people (Haven't tried anything above ten yet). And to a previous poster who said that RTCW's lag was bad, I ask you, how can you say that? RTCW performs admirably well with my 28.8k, as I can play well with 20+ players (Even 30+ on the Happy Penguin servers). Although I must say I agree with you on MOH:AA, it plays awfully on 28.8ks. I can barely play it with five people or less. I'd definitely have to say that RTCW and JKII:JO are the two least laggy games for 28.8k-56k modems. So to answer the original poster's question:Yay.

Archived