Home

Kyle Katarn: Jedi Disappointment

cj7816

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They worked underwater in JK1. I believe there was one part where you were sucked underwater and you had to use your lightsaber to cut open a grate or the force of the water rushing through trapped you there and you drowned to death.

Originally posted by Digital_Ronin

OH MY GOD I AM MAKING A LIGHTSABER IN MY OWN LIVING ROOM

:tied:

Um, isn't Star Wars a movie? It isn't real, there aren't any LIGHT sabers... just friggin relax...the truth is if a lightsaber where to hit water it boil it,.. making massive amounts of steam.. the makers of lightsabers - GE Inc stated, "We don't like steam. We make our sabers with auto-steam detection cut off switches"

Raven stated in a later news press release, "Listen, we can't possibly code this game to generate the massive amounts of bubble and steam effects required to make the saber realistic underwater, at least not until the GeSaberForce 17 gfx card with 85 gigaquads of memory and a virtual titty pincher comes out sometimes in late next eon....so instead we followed GE specs, and cut the saber off. You'd be happy to know you can use standard issue Galactic Empire blasters underwater."

Get over it.

While lightsabers don't emit heat, the actual core of the blade is very hot.

This would explain why wounds never had much blood. The heat from the core cauterises the cut.

Of course I don't know much, I've never read any of the EU books. (I really want to, though) I'm just going by what some knowledgable people have told me.

OMG, some of u guyz are real geeks.

I hate to see what u geeks would argue and complain about if SW didnt exist.

I say: SW has great stories, great movies, and great games . . . and it's all fiction . . . meant for entertainment, not criticism.

WTF dude... why do you have to come in here and increase hostility in the world? Personally I love SW but not enough to know enough about it to debate like this but... so what if some guys want to come in here and discuss the descrepencies in plotlines and such!? They are all well aware that it is a fictional universe... they're just having fun. Why do you have to come in and start treating everyone like you are above them. FU!

What would they talk about if SW didn't exist? I dunno.... sports? :rolleyes: There are great sports movies, games and they're all meant for entertainment and yet there is a HUGE industry in sports with TV SHOWS CRITICISING AND DISCUSSING various plays, strategies, people who are traded and signed and statistics and it all amounts to exactly ZILCH. Just like SW ... but if you like it and want to spend that much time talking about it and thinking about it then who gives a crap! Theres no need to come in here calling names and pretending that you can walk on water.

I don't think the real issue here is whether or not it meets Star Wars canon...I have to agree with the original poster that the lightsaber should have worked underwater, and here's why...

...they set the precedent in JK and MotS, where you could use the lightsaber under water in both games. And Outcast is, like the previous two outings, a game. I don't think it should have to adhere to all the rules laid out in the movies.

The argument about bubbles and what-have-you is a weak one at best...because personally I would not have expected any at all. You didn't get any in JK or MotS, so why bother with them here?

However, the issue is largely academic, because you may have noticed that there were no underwater levels, or even situations, where you might have used the lightsaber in the first place. The Swamp is the only real level containing enough water to submerge...and it is simply not worth the effort to do so. The under water levels in JK and MotS were planned, and were sometimes necessary to navigate to reach another area, or to discover a secret. It is obvious that swimming under water was never planned for this game.

While on the subject of lightsabers, the precedent had also been set in the previous two outings that the blade would light up your surroundings. In this game, it did not. It only lit up the bodies of enemies in the dark areas - thus negating the argument that the lightsaber does not cast light. If it casts light, it should have lit up the immediate surroundings. If it doesn't cast light...it should not have illuminated the dead bodies. It would have been cool to see the lightsaber illuminate an area...and to use it as a glow-rod when walking through dark tunnels.

So I have to agree that the lightsaber could have been a little better implemented - and it detracted slightly from the game's enjoyment that it was not.

Just IMO. ;)

Disregarding the game part from JK1 and MoTS.

More theories by me as to why a Lightsaber wouldn't work under water.

1) light refracts and bends light. As a lightsaber is basically a laser (focused light) focused even more through a crystal so that it makes an energy loop, putting a saber into light could further bend and bounce the light, breaking the loop, causing a power-surge (or black out not sure which) in the saber which would stop it working.

2) Light sabers only lose energy when they cut. As liquid can affect a blade so it would cut it, putting a saber into water basically gives it a HUGE amount of stuff to constantly cut through, which could also drain the power.

3) as stated above, lightsabers are delicate pieces of machinery. Elegant does not mean that you can drop ten ton weights on it, or even that it'll work under any conditions. It just means that it's not clumsy or random in skilled hands. Either way, as was also said, unless a lightsaber was specifically made to be water tight, it is VERY possible that water would get in and short out some of the circuits.

As far as it being Star Wars Canon, aside from the deleted TPM scenes, I believe it's also mentioned in a couple of the books where a saber was put in water and it almost immediately died out (very similar to the Predator's stealth technology. Useful, great defense and offense potential, but also fairly easy to mess up when you get down to it and know where to attack).

As to the person calling us geeks. yes, I am a geek. I'm a computer nerd and star wars nut. I play Role Playing games, I also play computer and video games. Guess what? I have fun doing it and couldn't care how you feel. People like certain things. One of the fun parts about liking something is being able to discuss it with other people who like it. I've discussed and argued about things in Rurouni Kenshin, Star Wars, and several other things. I enjoy it. What did you honestly expect to find coming onto a Lucas Arts forum for a Star Wars game? Personally, I was hoping to find everyone discussing Galaxy Quest or Ender's Game. Didn't think I'd find any other Star Wars nuts here..nope, no siree.

Oh, and in answer to your question "What would we talk about if there was no Star Wars"? Probably games, other Sci-Fi shows, sports, every day life. Anime, almost anything you can talk about you'll find people who love it to the point that they can discuss "trivialites" about it.

Okay, here we go. It says in many of the books, some of the guides, that lightsabers can work underwater, but have to be built more carefully. If the lightsaber is Yun's from JK1, then it probably wouldn't, because a dark jedi is in a hurry. If not, then luke/kyle was in a hurry. Maybe luke busted Kyle's real saber, and had to build the other one.

haha, it aint even real, why debate over it. You guys must be bored, but think about the light saber "handel" guys. Thats all electronic and would bust, i remeber reading in Star Wars Episode 1 take outs that Obi-wan kept his saber thingy on and it got busted etc

Originally posted by cj7816

Man, some the stuff in SP is so retarted. Like the fact that Kyle can't use force powers (specifically push and pull) under water or through breakaway grates!

And what's with Kyle not being able to use his lightsabre under water?! Hmmm... let's see... It can cut through just about anything, dismember an enemy in one slice, it's the most "eligant" weapon in the galaxy... but sorry, it won't work in water. Your "clumbsy and random" blasters will operate just fine in water but the lightsabre? ... sorry boys.

Maybe I'm being over-critical of Raven's efforts to balance gameplay. I'm just totally in love with the lightsabre and that's the only weapon that I ever want to use. Needless to say, Yavin Swamp is starting to tick me off.

===========vader4.jpg===========

;)

By endless_deliriu :

1) light refracts and bends light. As a lightsaber is basically a laser (focused light) focused even more through a crystal so that it makes an energy loop, putting a saber into light could further bend and bounce the light,

*thinks hard wether or not he should revive the discussion*

*sigh* - ok, I just can't help it.

The only spot where lightsabers are actually described as 'lasers' and 'having an optical origin', using 'crystals to focus the lightbeam' and so on was in the lightsaber section of the StarWars ROLE PLAYING GAME. Created and thought up much later than the movies, taking some passages from them and clearly MISINTERPRETING some of them.

It was not until that lousy DM manual that lightsabers needed crystals to FOCUS a BEAM or something like that, they _did_ have crystals before, but they were only used as means of superconductors and it was nowhere said that the blades were laser-like. Actually there is a fair share of evidence that they aren't. (shall I elaborate that?)

Now, the problem is that this RPG manual entry was used by most later sources as a 'blueprint' when they described lightsaber technology, thus furthering those highly controversal theories. Especially the idea of the beam color depending on the color of some 'crystals' in the hilt is totally unfounded. The 'light bending idea' with the blade being something like a 'standing wave' also came from there. That passage was created and written for a paper-and-pen game and was a try to explain the technology, but it's far from being flawless or even canonical.

Digital_Ronin

Originally posted by Wes Janson SMR

Not only that, but Lightsaber also have the facinating property of not giving off ambient light, and the blade has its own shadow.... In the movies.

Tech Guy: "Mr. Lucas, we have no way of getting rid of the shadow of the lightsabre standin. Also, since we add the glowing effect later, it's impossible for us to make it project light."

George: "Hmmm.... oh well, let's just pretend that lightsabres have shadows and don't project light."

;)

I understand the whole deal about lightsabers not working underwater in the SW universe - it's more of a gameplay issue to me than one of SW correctness. I wanted to use it all the time but Yavin Swamp forced me to use a couple guns. Oh well.

I -am- still curious about not being able to use force powers like push and pull under water. Maybe the water caused too much friction to pull items through. Raven could have at least made items move -slower- when pushed or pulled underwater. I also still don't see why metal grates and glass block force powers.

Maybe the effects department could add almost anything to the properties of the lightsaber, but I guess Lucas was just keeping them consistent with how they were portrayed in the earlier series of SW. Plus, Yoda could pull that X-Wing from the swamps, but I guess Kyle's Force is not just strong enough to be of any practical use. And basically water level is rather short, so I guess that Raven just cut it off rather than giving additional properties to the objects in the water that could be affected by Force, how they were not really concerned with the underwater aspect of the game can be shown by the subpar rendering of Kyle's swim animation.

Originally posted by Digital_Ronin

By endless_deliriu :

*thinks hard wether or not he should revive the discussion*

*sigh* - ok, I just can't help it.

The only spot where lightsabers are actually described as 'lasers' and 'having an optical origin', using 'crystals to focus the lightbeam' and so on was in the lightsaber section of the StarWars ROLE PLAYING GAME. Created and thought up much later than the movies, taking some passages from them and clearly MISINTERPRETING some of them.

It was not until that lousy DM manual that lightsabers needed crystals to FOCUS a BEAM or something like that, they _did_ have crystals before, but they were only used as means of superconductors and it was nowhere said that the blades were laser-like. Actually there is a fair share of evidence that they aren't. (shall I elaborate that?)

Now, the problem is that this RPG manual entry was used by most later sources as a 'blueprint' when they described lightsaber technology, thus furthering those highly controversal theories. Especially the idea of the beam color depending on the color of some 'crystals' in the hilt is totally unfounded. The 'light bending idea' with the blade being something like a 'standing wave' also came from there. That passage was created and written for a paper-and-pen game and was a try to explain the technology, but it's far from being flawless or even canonical.

Digital_Ronin

I got the idea of light from the name. and I agree. I wasn't sure about the origins of the crystal, but in the books I've read where people have built one (possibly after the RPG came out) they've all had to use crystals. Before that, I don't think it was ever actually mentioned how a lightsaber truly worked.

The water idea was actually me being tired and grasping at straws, I was actually going to edit it out if I could've found the post that it was in, but you beat me to humiliation :)

Archived