Home

Open Petition to Raven: Make MP like SP.

Solo4114

Should MP sabre combat be revised to mimic SP?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should MP sabre combat be revised to mimic SP?

• Yes! Please make this change ASAP, o Great Development Lords at Raven.
    • Yes (sorry for duplication, but the board requires two options in a poll.)

NewBJedi,

No offense, but this isn't actually a poll. It's a petition. Big difference. I actually posted it simply so that Raven could look and see a numerical representation right at the top, of what folks wanted in the game. That's why there's technically only one option. If you want to start a true poll, fine. Go start one yourself. I'll be happy to vote in it.

But like I said, the purpose of this was for people who support the idea of changing MP to be more like SP to have a way to actually post that, without having the thread be sidetracked by people arguing back and forth. Having the "poll" at the top simply lets folks vote and not worry about posting to the thread, thereby signing the petition without having to write a russian novel of a post the way I normally do.

As far as being "afraid of the truth," I have a few responses:

1.) This isn't the X-Files. ;)

2.) I'm not afraid of any particular truths. I simply wanted to have a petition where those who supported my position could sign it, and those who didn't support it could avoid it. It's not about hiding any particular point of view, it's about keeping the petition true to its nature: a petition. Ever sign a petition somewhere? Usually, there isn't a box that says "Check here if you don't support this petition." If you don't want to sign, groovy. Don't sign. If you do, fantabulous. Sign. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the code for this message board, you can't make one-choice polls. So I created two choices that are identical. Like I said above: if you want to start your own petition, or want to start a poll, go for it. But this was never intended to be a poll in the first place.

Changing gameplay is a drastic mistake because it would alienate those who already are used to certain style in MP.

Sure, a server option for g_spsaber or something like that is fine.

But any changes to 'base' gameplay at this point would be a tragic mistake.

I don't think you'll convince any dev team to do that.

You may convince them to add gameplay changes - server-side optional, but anything permanent will only lead to worse problems than what you started out with.

A petition vs. a poll is a bad idea.

People who have a choice between a petition and a poll and choose the petition generally are afraid that the outcome may not turn in their favor.

Why not run a 'poll' that asks if people want the option to have gameplay changes - such as SP saber?

Do you really want to change the MP saber to SP completely or do you want the option to do so? There is a major difference.

Honestly, I'd be happy with simply the option to choose (as a server) SP style or MP style. If folks want to play MP style, that's great. They're welcome to it. But I'd prefer to have the ability to play SP style. Raven has said (apparently) that if there's enough demand, they'll switch MP to SP. So I put this petition up to help people voice that demand.

As for your characterization of folks who want things done differently as whiners, frankly, I take issue with that. I don't view us as whiners. I simply view us as people with a different opinion from the one you have. Whining is less about WHAT you say and more about HOW you say it. When people take the time to intelligently post their opinions, that's not whining. If they sit there and ***** and moan about how much the game sucks, and offer no constructive criticism, then I could see how you might call 'em whiners. For the record, I also noted that you posted in another thread that you objected to people bringing things down to the level of a personal attack. Perhaps in the future you should heed your own advice.

If you don't like the technique of a petition as opposed to a poll, that's fine. Start your own poll. No one here is stopping you. Personally, I view both as valid techniques to make an opinion known. If you don't, that's fine. Use whatever technique you like. :)

Fair enough and I apologize if I made any personal attacks against you.

Do you truly believe that a sudden change from MP to SP style would be good for the game - after people have gotten used to the MP style?

Or do you believe that it should be an option and not something forced as a complete sudden change?

A small poll to you. :)

Also, please quote and site the source where Raven says they are willing to change MP to an SP style.

With all the client prediction issues, I'd be interested to know how they can manage this.

On a sidenote: I noticed that SOF 2 had a tendency to get laggy and I wonder if that is due to the 30+ body damage location areas - imagine all the bandwidth and/or prediction involved - not just your simple shoot area and damage health.

The same goes for blocking with sabers, and inflicting damage.

I actually can't quote where Raven said that they'd change things if demand was high enough, but someone else quoted it in a thread on this board, I think. Unfortunately, the search function has been disabled (grr....) but if and when they fix that, I'll be happy to find the actual quote a post a link to the thread.

As far as folks having to adapt to a new style of play, I don't see how this would be a really big issue. Most folks can play the SP version of the game and receive plenty of training. They can download that ladder map (which I haven't played yet) and play against a bunch of reborns, or can duel against the bots (which is how I practiced with the current MP method, at least for duels).

Yes, it would take some adjustment, but I don't think that the adjustment would be so difficult, especially if folks have played the SP game (which they really should -- personally, I think the SP game ROCKS).

And no worries on the insult thing. These debates can get a little heated. I do appreciate the apology, though. That does count for something in my book, and I respect anyone who's willing to do so.

Originally posted by Deeva

Contrary to your preconceptions, I have a great deal of knowledge regarding internet bandwith requirements and the way that game net code works.

A streamlined netcode would allow more of the complex calculations to be performed client side. And, as far as making mp like sp goes, the saber combat is WOEFULLY inadequate at the moment.

If that means incorporate some/all of the sp material to fix it, great. But what i'd like to see is a serious redress of some of the outstanding problems: red-stance or the movement, for example.

oh, and by the way lens flares and graphical effects have absolutely NO effect on 'lag' whatsoever, as they are completely client side calculations....so, go crawl back in whatever hole you crawled out of.

Struggling with the english language eh!? I said I WONDER if anyone have any knowledge... not No one has any knowledge. Brush up on your English before you try to go postal on some one.

Everything has an effect on lag. Tell me why I get lag on MoHAA when I play it on full settings as opposed to playing it with reduced settigns!? The same applies to all games. If everyone is using new animations, lighting effects, it is going to slow down the server as a whole.

The saber combat could do with a bit of spruceing up, though not graphically. They should increase the chances of saber lock for one thing.

Remember not everyone plays online via LAN or cable modem. Most people play through their 56k

Originally posted by D.L.

Everything has an effect on lag. Tell me why I get lag on MoHAA when I play it on full settings as opposed to playing it with reduced settigns!? The same applies to all games. If everyone is using new animations, lighting effects, it is going to slow down the server as a whole.

You don't get lag, you get worse frame rates. Just because people up their settings display wise doesn't mean that the server gets more data sent to it - the same amount of data is sent regardless of what effects there are visually or not.

KPeh

(Personally, I'd like more blocking similar to SP. However it might be an idea to only implement this in duel mode and duels on FFA. Otherwise you may be in the middle of a sabre clash when some annoying person spams the secondary fire of the repeater at you.)

Archived