Home

Useless weapons/items?

CarlSagan

Okay, so I played through the entire game on Jedi difficulty. I didn't use any walkthroughs or ask for hints or anything. I just didn't think it was that hard.

My question is, why are there so many weapons and items that were (in essence) useless? Did anyone ever find a good use in single-player for the trip mines? What about the binoculars? I remember one point in the game where the night-vision goggles were useful for about 10 seconds. The det-packs were handy in one or two instances, but not really necessary. I don't think I ever used the flechette gun, or the drones, or the sentries (though, I understand they can be useful against Fyyar). The heavy repeater's primary fire was useless except at extreme close range.

Now, granted, some or all of these items are probably much more useful in multiplayer, but that just begs the question: why have them in single player at all?

Just curious what other people think.

I thought the repeater's primary fire was a total waste and I hardly ever used the flechette. The missile launcher seemed to be pretty brutal also, woeful accuracy even from pretty close range. But the trip mines came in handy a number of times and the drones were useful against Fyarr. For the most part I relied on the lightsader ,when i got it. And before that the stormtrooper rifle. The rapid fire mode was pretty inaccurate but i could do more damage with it then the repeater.

I used trip mines every now and again, but not often at all. The repeater was fun, but as stated earlier, terribly inaccurate. For me, using Force powers and the saber were the best. It seemed more appropriate for a Jedi to use this method as well as it allowed me to use a different strategy than one used in all other third person shooters.

I also rely heavily on the lightsaber, but I did like to use trip mines and detonators in instances where I knew that I was going to be attacked. For instance, in Artus Mine, where you go into the control room and about 10 StormTroopers come running out from both sides of the room -- place a few det packs there and you can kill almost all of them.

I suppose some weapons are just more for fun than practical use.

Originally posted by Foxbatkllr

People demand variety in their FPS weapons...even if those weapons are useless. Besides, it's kinda fun to switch around and kill stormies in a bunch of different ways.

absolutely right. although i agree--there are some "useless" weapons in sp...that's mainly b\c the light saber is so damn cool. if you want cool weapons, play halflife...

although to be fair, i've used almost everything at least once...the e11 and the bowcaster, obviously..the repeater--sometimes when i was bored. the electro gun (cant remember the name) was REALLY useful against those turrets in the garbage facility...detpacks were somewhat useful in taking out tripmines...uh--i dunno...i'm just speculating i suppose--i really only used the saber and the sniperrifle...that's it...but occasionally i played with my other toys...i'm rambling now--so--cya;)

I think all of the weapons, etc. serve some, albeit miniscule purpose. I like to use the trip mines when I know that a group of troopers is going to come through the door to try to get me. Thermals are useful when you want to get someone below you, without them being able to see you. I do agree that the Flechette seems rather useless, but it's not bad if you're attacking a large group (of course, the saber is more fun in this situation :) ). The DEMP is great against turrets, AT-STs, etc. The repeater's primary fire is good at close range (see the Flechette above). I could go on and on. I guess, though, the only truly useless weapon is the Bowcaster; it's slow & weak. My favorite weapon is still the Stormtrooper Rifle; fast rate of fire, decent damage, etc. The secondary fire is good against turrets.

I disagree with you on the bowcaster. I actually used it quite a lot. It does more damage and is more accurate than the blaster rifle at range. Rate of fire is decent, too. The shots do move slowly, but it works on enemies that don't move around alot (esp. snipers). Plus, the alternate fire (in SP) loads up multiple shots and fires them in a spread pattern. Quite handy for clearing a small room.

i think every weapon and item had a perpous....

There are a few weapons i never did use... (never did find the electro gun, and by the time i got the flechette, i was using the lightsaber all the time unless i needed to make a snipe shot...) But each weapon has a use, you just need to know when to use it.

Originally posted by joey_kool

Whatever floats yer boat i suppose.

I found the alt-fire of the gun with the two small balls (cant remember name!) useful quite a lot. And the sniper rifle on Nar Shadda.

Sniping in Nar Shadda is about the only thing that kept me alive. Had to use force speed a bunch of times just to be able to avoid some of the shots....

i think i used ONE trip mine and no detination packs i didnt use the binoculars either if i ever needed to see somethin i used the sniper rifle. but i think you do have to give credit to lightsaber, it serves just about every purpose and i dont think there was one section where i didnt use it. and is so much more fun that shooting people especially with all the force powers on rank 3

I didn't use the saber much on Yavin, especially the swamp, except to fight the Shadowtroopers, etc. This was mostly because it turns itself off if you go under water. Plus you can snipe the Troopers from under water :)

I just realized that there weren't many swimming puzzles in JK2. JK1 was replete with them.

I used the binoculars in NS a fair bit. They're kinda useless in bases, which is primarily what JK2 was about.

On jedi difficulty, most the weapons are useless. It's jsut so much more fun using the saber. Once you try the game at a higher difficulty, those weapons become a lot more handy. You'll still be able to get by with just the saber but there are a few times when you'll need something more (especially the lando level). So far, I've only tried jedi and jedi knight difficulties. I'm sure Jedi Master will be a real pain in the butt and make all thse weapons a lot more useful.

Archived