Home

Quit Helping The Pirates!!

moby323

look at the word. PIRATE. were the spanish blamed for the ships they lost to the english-employed pirates? no.

if im walking down the street and i see a house with it's door open, and a big tv inside, do i walk in and get it cos nothing is there to stop me? no. it's still stealing.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

umm, nil, sooo, if person A hits you, you hit person B in retaliation, rather than hitting person A back?

the government is not the ones who are harmed by STEALING software, the programmers, and people who put their time and effort into creating that software,

but, I agree, not having a cd key or anything like that wasn't the smartest thing, but that doesn't mean you should pirate it!!

I dont think people who either pirate it, or are too lazy to figure something out, (most of the time alot of these things are pretty obvious if you look at the menus and suchlike) deserve any help, not reading manuals in general is fine, but I think people who do that habitually learn to figure things out without having to ask,

Uhmm... instead of simply answering someone's question and be done with it, you type RTFM ... an abreveation to save yourself the work of typing (and even suggest binding it to a KEY so you don't even have to type that!!!!)... and you feel yourself qualified to call someone lazy?

FU!

I bought the game and I own the manual AND I READ IT! But I have friends that pay good money for games and due to their excitement play the game right off without looking at the manual and sometimes while playing they have questions... Why be such an a-hole instead of just answering the questions. I seriously doubt you get so many questions that it would massively subtract from your play time. Jesus.

I hate this kind of mewling rant. People may not like this post but damn... people in glass houses.

Originally posted by Kurgan

You are allowed to have one copy of each piece of software you legally have purchased, for backup purposes, but you are not allowed to distribute that copy to others, and I think essentially you're supposed to make the copy yourself.

They had already billed my credit card, so I would assume that I had already purchased it. I only had 1 copy, which was on my computer that I downloaded. So, though what you just stated, I was ligit because: I Purchased it and I only had 1 copy.

Originally posted by Kurgan

So:

You buy JK2. Then you download a copy from some warez site and burn it (ILLEGAL).

You buy JK2. Then you copy the cd on your burner and put it in your desk drawer (LEGAL).[/b]

What is the difference of your 2 examples other than you say one is illegal and one is legal? You still own a copy... it doesn't matter if you installed it from someone elses cd or what, but as long as you own it... your fine.

I don't know about you, but I don't have a law degree with emphisis in franchise/copyright/trademark. However, I have been in a trademark dispute before with my corporatation... which doesn't mean much. So, if you don't... lets please just leave it at that.

From another post titles RTFM I posted a reply and I think I may have given off a wrong perception. I DO NOT support warez guys. It cheats the normal consumer because prices go up and development goes down. We as a game community lose out. But in defense of some people who seem to ask stupid questions...not all people are that computer literate. Wall walking is in the readme file which some people never open up their install folders. For some of the more hardcore gamers this is automatic. Another reason is people may have read the manual but are asking for clarification.

For instance...I try to wall walk per the manual and I can't..why? I'm using the arrow keys and INS for jump. It won't work so I ask if maybe there is another stipulation or something but I don't have time to explain myself on the server like that so I just ask "how do I wall walk?" Some of these guys are warez some are just very new to gaming.

Another example "how do I force jump?" Sounds stupid but some people just tap jump they never think to hold it down.

not having a cd key or anything like that wasn't the smartest thing

Wha?? It was very smart! "Anti-piracy" such as CD checks and cd keys do not deter piracy, it only punishes the people who buy the game. With CD checks, the person who buys it has to sit for 30 seconds before his game loads up, while the pirate simply uses a no-CD crack and gets to load the game immediately. "But the person who buys a copy can use no-CD cracks too!" you say? Most consumers won't.

I commend Lucasarts for not including ridiculous copy protection. They set a good example. Do you really think that this game will be warezed out more than any other popular game?

That wasn't my point, who cares about the few hundred people or so how have this game as a copy, warez, whatever. They are hardly immoral in comparison to some other people. What I meant was, everyone seems to own a license to be an arse, why not bee one too? If people screw with you, you screw back, just like you said. In my case I don't care who is screwing me or who I am screwing, their all going down eitherway...

In response to the post below: Yes. Then you do have the right.

If he is so stupid not to lock his door, it is his fault, not yours. It might still be immoral to do so, but if I hated my neighbour I wouldn't hesitate.

Originally posted by kold

you guys should blame raven for not putting a cd key system

and its annoying that people are actually hurting the company by doing this, there is no solution to piracy but a cd key system would have reduced all mp capabilities on the net

SO I guess if your neighbor forgets to lock his door you have the right to go in and steal his tv? I dont think so.

Originally posted by Monnnster

I commend Lucasarts for not including ridiculous copy protection. They set a good example. Do you really think that this game will be warezed out more than any other popular game?

If it had a cdkey, it will still be warezed as much but people wont get to play it online (ala Q3/RTCW/HL etc etc) and of course people will go insane from playing the first few non saber levels with the, frankly, rubbish guns :D

Originally posted by Pol Favre

look at the word. PIRATE. were the spanish blamed for the ships they lost to the english-employed pirates? no.

Just a quick history note, if you were employed by a foreign government to go out and attack foreign shipping you were generally issued letters of Marque and Reprisal. The technical term for those types of people was Privateer and they were require to give a large percentage of the takings to the sponsoring government.

Pirates were freelancers and paid no percentage of the takings back to the sponsoring government and were universally reviled.

Still it sucked to be the ships being attacked though.

I know it was off topic but as a student of the time period and of maritime warfare from the 1550's through the 1780's I couldn't help it.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.:)

Originally posted by Nill the Mean

That wasn't my point, who cares about the few hundred people or so how have this game as a copy, warez, whatever. They are hardly immoral in comparison to some other people. What I meant was, everyone seems to own a license to be an arse, why not bee one too? If people screw with you, you screw back, just like you said. In my case I don't care who is screwing me or who I am screwing, their all going down eitherway...

So, then, you'd only feel compelled to act "morally" if everyone else in the world did as well?

In response to the post below: Yes. Then you do have the right.

If he is so stupid not to lock his door, it is his fault, not yours. It might still be immoral to do so, but if I hated my neighbour I wouldn't hesitate.

Quite a little mission statement you've got there. Glad I'm not your neighbor.

Lol.

I don't know if my message got across the way it was intended. If you were my neighbour and you were an okay guy, I wouldn't ever do anything to you. Why would I? If you were some stuck up stranger who never said 'hello' back then sure I'd screw you for all your worth. I act morally towards those who don't screw people. Unfortunatly there are lots of people who would never hesitate to take advantage of you. In fact, you have probably already been had. Those who download warez are not them. They do not screw you. Maybe in a very indirect sense, as in that it is money out of the developers pocket. I never said this was a good thing. I did say that they are the least of your worries. There are bigger things to get angry about than people copying CD's. That's all I really meant to say.

Pol: I'm as real as they get. Sometimes I find myself to be 'too' real. Then I have a stiff drink and sink back into ignorance.

Originally posted by Fyunch Click

Personally I have a feeling that Raven is going to include a file checker in the patch process sthat will not only determine the executable size, (to go after those using cracked or hacked executables) but might also look for an additional file that would be changed upon copying. If it was told to look for a simple 2k file on the cd that is changed to a 3k file when it is copied,( even on a bit for bit copy, don't know if it's possible but it would be nice.) then it would not patch the program and those people would be forced to play only against unpatched individuals, leaving the rest of us who DID pay for the game to play minus the warezers.

just my opinion.

Codemasters did the same thing with Operation Flashpoint. To upgrade, not only do you need a complete and uncorrupted (ie. uncracked) install on your harddrive (The patch checks all the files in the install) but you also need the original CD in the drive.

Annoying as hell... YES.

Does it work... YES.

Its amazing how many of the people with warez still post to that board listing bugs in version 1.1 when it is up to version 1.49, with almost a dozen updates in between them.

That said, warez, although illegal and immoral, is a great way to see what a game is really like before purchasing it, using $80 (I'm in Australia) on a game that might be crap.

For people on 56k connections, or with download caps on their connections, it is not practical to download a 70meg demo... and many of the game demo's these days do not include all of the features in the full game (Ie. All force powers, all weapons etc.) And so those who do download the demo often get only a small glimpse at what the full game is like.

By getting a warez version (Which costs less than $4 to make) these people can see the complete version of the game and decide whether to buy it or not.

Making warez only becomes a problem when after playing the game, and seeing what it is like, they do not either a) purchase the game legally... or b) destroy the warez copy of the game.

To back this point up, I'm sure each and every person who posts on this board has at some point purchased a game that was a complete waste of money, and that we wished we have never bought. With that game in mind, ask yourself:- If you had played the full game for a week before you had bought it, and seen what it was really like..... would you have still purchased it?

Originally posted by Pol Favre

if im walking down the street and i see a house with it's door open, and a big tv inside, do i walk in and get it cos nothing is there to stop me? no. it's still stealing.

Yarr, don't ye be so sure, landlubber.

-dan-o2 (YARR!)

i agree, jedi bert. i can't remember what it was that i didn't know how to do when i first started, i think it was wall walking. the thought to read the manual never entered my mind because i don't even know what manuals have in them.

i **** you not, i've never sat down and read a manual except for the one for medal gear solid 2, because of it's cool art. lol kinda weird, i know.

A Debate on Mages, Pirates, and Ninjas:

"Mages are most definately real. They existed in the dark ages, and did totally sweet things, like cast ice level 3 on pirates. Mages and pirates used to be worst enemies. Mages hate pirates, but they couldn't hate robots since they didn't exist-yet. If they were around back then though, through magical time-travel (a lame ability some robots might have), I'm sure that Mages wailed on them...Mages even teamed up with armies of Zombies to raid castles and sink pirate armadas.

So, if you don't think that Mages are old ninjas, or even that mages are totally sweet, think again."

"It is true that mages can be totally sweet when they want to. But, in a one-on-one battle, the ninja would emerge victorious. That has been established."

FOOD CHAIN OF SUPREMACY:

Ninja

|

Mage - Mr. T

|

Navy SEAL

|

Robot

|

Hobo - Pirate

|

Ronald McDonald

Thinking about it, wouldn't it be cool if Mr. T was a Ninja? He'd be unstoppable!

And Jedi are like Ninjas, but with laser swords. Which makes them totally sweet.

:D

Archived