Home

Buying a GeForce card for this game.

Nota

I dont have and anwer to your question but I just wanted to say that this game looks AWESOME with a Geforce behind it. I recently ordered a Gf3 ti-200 from Dell (it's a jaton model) and it makes a huge difference compared to my old Diamond Viper Ultra. The only bad part about NVIDIA cards with this game, is that for some reason the latest drivers cause the skies and space to be this really bright yellow. You can apparently fix this by using older drivers but I'm just gonna wait till there is a patch that fixes this.

Asus is a good a brand name for GF cardsa as they are for motherboards, however, *some* people are very bitter about asus planning to release cheat drivers [check a news service like shacknews.com for more info] to thier customers and in retalliation, refuse to give them a good name. Creative is *my* preferred brand, but Guillemont/Herculese seems to get top awards for thier versions of these cards 9 times out of 10.

PNY is a company I steer away from simply because I have never heard anything about their cards, so they are unknown to me, bu they are Best Buy's only supplier at the moment. Which just means they had the better deal for them, but.................

PNY has been in the business of making the most reliable professional grade computer memory and motherboards for many many years and have recently voyaged into the video card market for end users and gamers like us. My friend is running a PNY GeForce 3 Ti500 and I am running a PNY GeForce 4 Ti4400 and i can tell you that they are SUPER stable SUPER overclockable and uber-fast cards at a good price with excelent availability. the fact of the matter is that Asus, Creative, PNY, Chaintech, Gainward, Leadtech and the rest of the big video card OEM maunfacturers all use 2 things alike. 1)the nVidia chip , and 2) Samsung memory. the ONLY difference between these cards is the color of the PCB (some are black, some are green, some are red, some are blue etc.) and the clock timings of the memory and the GPU. with stock cooling on these cards being what it is, there is nothing stopping you nor anybody else from taking the cheapest GeForce 4 Ti card and overclocking it to the point where it will out-perform the most expensive one.

of course overclocking will void warantees and in some cases can cause damage to hardware. but the simple fact of the matter is that if you are running an average CPU and a bleeding edge video card, your bottleneck will be the CPU, a P3 1.0 gig for example will show similair performance between a geforce 3 Ti 500 and a stock GeForce 4 Ti 4200 because of the limited CPU speed. so if you are running an older CPU and want a speed upgrade, look into a new CPU first, they are MUCH cheaper than $500 video cards.

i hope i helped.

I dont wana try and change yer mind if yer dead set on a GeForce series but... You can get a Radeon 8500 for under 200. Theres several diffrent versions of it.. Im using one right now, works like a charm.

happy card hunting :)

well, for all those who love the Radion and their low pricepoint, you may want to look at This Link for the Visiontek GF 4 Ti4600. it has listed in the comparissons section for benchmarks a pair of GF4's a GF3 and a Radion 8500. here is the JK2 graphjk21280.gif

now, if you are buying a high end video card....you may want to think about the fact that just because a game is on a Q3 engine doesnt mean that you will get Q3 framerates.....JK2 for example is about 3 times as complex an engine as the orig. Q3 version so on GPU benchmarks that show dead even performance between the Radion 8500 and GF3 Ti500 for Q3, you will see a serious diff on a different game with a different (more advanced) version.

all i can say is buyer beware...you can upgrade CPU and motherboard any time and at a cheaper price...but your video hardware purchase today will seriously affect your future perfoamance of games that aren not yet out.

for example, the next Unreal engine will barely eek out 30 FPS at low detail on a GF3 Ti 500 at 800 x 600. can u inagine it on 1024 x 768...or even a radion on the same test....

if you are in the market, spend the money, you wont need another video upgrade for a couple years...thats more than the owners of Radions will be able to say in 6 months...

Personaly I shop the Chipset not the board manufacture. SO If I can get a better price on an MSI GF4 than a Creative ..... I'm getting the MSI and use the Refrence drivers from NVIDIA NEVER the manufactures drivers as these tend to lag for several days/weeks and can include bugs with their added "features" that you may never use

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020418/index.html

Toms Hardware has run benchmarks on video cards from TNT2 to GF4.

They have included JK2 as a benchmark, so now you can see how your current card stands up to some of the newer models.

I'm looking at the GF4 4200 cards, almost as fast as the 4400/4600, faster than everything else. The 64meg version should be under $200, and may even be faster than the 128meg models(more but slower memory).

Cheers.

GeForce is a fine card, just make sure you stay in Ti, dont drop down into MX, a GeForce4 MX 440, sounds like a great buy, but its really a tweaked, and antialiasing, supported geforce2ti. I had tried it out, and my Radeon 7200 64meg sdram card beat it out in jediknight by around +30fps in all aspects of the game, single or multi, crowded screen or empty, the radeon was always up a good chunk of fps higher. I dont know if i would beleive that chart posted up above on the radeon 8500, compared to the new Gefroce Ti's. I work in a computer store, im a tech and trouble shooter, build PC for a living. I have set up many similar rigs for gamers with both geforce3 and 4's and new radeons, and they both perform exceptionally well with some of th emost demanding games.

Ok lets get real. The difference in performance from the high "big" Name brand cards and the OEM card manufacturers is like a few fps. Go to http://www.pricewatch.com and get a geforce 3 "the regular one" for 138 bucks and be happy. The money you save will get you more components for your system. I buy new cards every 3 months for my systems and the big bundled cards are not worth the money as I usually have the games anyway.

Cheers

Gunzz

Archived