Home

Bowing in duels

PsYk0

I believe bowing is nice because it fits with the way most people play Jedi Knight 2.

JK2 is more about panache, flash, style. A lightsaber battle is 10x more interesting than a gunfight, that's why so many people, like myself, prefer using sabers only.

But other games, like Quake 3 for exemple, have none of this ; it doesn't meant he game isn't fun, it just lacks the whole "role-playing aspect", whereas playing Q3 is all about being efficient : killing the most people in the smallest ammount of time.

I most of the time don,t really care if my score is lower in JK2 because this game, for me, is about style and fun. A lightsaber duel against a single, evenly matched opponent is a lot more satisfying for me than getting in a crowd and raping 8 people with a finishing move. If my kill total do get to the top I am hapy because I got there without any tactics I consider cheap (Which may differ amongst people)

For me, bowing is a way to show an honorable player I have duelled repeatedly that I consider him to be good at duelling, fair and skilled. It's a mark of my respect for him. If the player I am fighting is either unskilled or cheap, then I won,t bow to him, and will merely attack.

If you want total efficiency in a game, I think Quake 3 or UT and such are more up your alley, as JK2 has everything to make it flashy and interesting to watch, which is why bowing is getting popular. If you don't like it, then attack me while I bow, don't bow, or ignore my bowing. But don,t go flaming here about "bow is gay... bow is nerdy... bow is why you have no girlfriend.... bow is this and that...."

You can't make EVERYBODY think the same way as you do, deal with it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when I bow, I do it back to the person, but the reason I do it isn't honor, but more respect for myself than anything.

if I'm going to duel someone, I want to know they're ready. Bowing, moving, and taunting let me know that they are 1) at the keyboard and 2) ready to go.

I will kill someone lagging out, or who doesn't move or whatever because chances are there are 4 or 5 (or more) people on the server who want to play as well.

But at the beginning of the fight, I want to know that my opponent is ready, and I want them to know that I am ready. Which is why I do the bow/taunt thing (if they don't bow, I don't bow but I do taunt)

To people complaining about how long it takes, please, it takes 3 seconds, maybe 6 tops.

wtf? It's gay, annoying and makes the game last longer. I find that the temptation of letting my saber make mad love to the other guys' exposed pasty white neck too hard to resist. Why should I show respect to someone that I don't even know? Christ, the guy could have picked up the game 10 minutes earlier and is playing for the first time. Why the hell should I respect that? Screw them. Go ahead and flame away but remember this the next time you bow to someone you don't know....

Join me....I am your daddy!

The thing is when you bow in a duel the most important thing is to never take your eyes off your enemy - or like you said would end in your head being taken off.

In this game you cant bow and keep your eyes on the enemy so I am with you on this one mate.

If they bow their heads... bow your sabre onto their necks.

Originally posted by Ttam legacy

Ok so maybe you don't bow to just anyone. But I think the guy/girl that just won 9 duels in a row deserves something. WTF is wrong with bowing? It's just roleplaying to a certain extent. Good god.

If you want to role play as jedi... Then role play it right, they never bow to each other in the movies. Not once!

Also this game's genre isn't even an RGP... its a first person shooter!

Not once did anyone bow in the starwars movies so don't even think bowing is a jedi thing.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan bowed to the Gungan Council in Episode 1. ;P

:lsduel:

If the other person bows I'll saber off, quickly look down at my feet, and then look up again and saber up (if they bow to me). I won't crouch though. If they're still crouching and looking down like they've discovered a dog-poop that bears a strange resemblance to Elvis, then I'll taunt them.

If that doesn't get them up, nothing wakes a Jedi up quicker than a saber-throw. ;)

:yobi:

*ffffffttttt* I'll tell you what's goddamn 'G A Y' waiting 30 seconds for someone to type in 'ggood lick' [then] 'I meant goog luck' [then] 'sry - meant good luck'

Or EVEN BLOODY WORSE - some patronizing b'strd typing in 'Are you ready, sonny?' (or words to that effect)

Bowing takes 2 seconds - and to me it means - "I have my force config ok; I don't need to take a p*ss; I've lit my ciggy; ready; willing; able; good luck; all the best; lets cut the bloody typing and get the hell on with the fun stuff..."

You dozy machos who think that it is to do with 'honour and respect'!!??? And as for this goddamn sith "don't mess with me - I'm in character, darling"....why don't you go the whole hog and play with a black motorbike helmet on?? (Sorry that was a joke!)

BUT!! I hate to break it to you - but about the c**p that bowing is to do with 'honour' - 1 word - WRONG!!!

jeez -- go and be a goddamn Klingon in some Star Trek game...

Originally posted by El_Pedro_

Played my first DUEL tonight and you were there nice as pie P - not very good but nice, what's with the I'm the daddy ****?

Reply to my name at hotmail 'cos I doubt I'll be back here - to many P's to decapitate :)

That wasn't me because I haven't played since I posted this :( . I usually have my name in red or blue on one of the Darkside saber only servers.

Granted I play almost exclusively duel matches, leaving me with somewhat of a bias, but here is my opinion nonetheless.

Bowing before dueling is fine, for a plethora of reasons. Firstly, it takes 3 seconds for a long bow. If your day is so busy that 3 seconds are enough to piss you off, you probably shouldn't be playing videogames to begin with. Secondly, bowing is conducive to promoting the chosen character role-playing inherent to this game, or any Star Wars game. Sure, no one bows in the movies, but in the game it is a way of humanizing yourself and your opponent, just like taunting. When someone charges at me blindly or jumps around like an imbecile, two things happen: I feel like I'm playing with a Initiate bot, and then they die. Thirdly, bowing makes others feel respected, whether you actually respect them or not; this will increase the userbase, as D66 pointed out. Finally (this needs to be restated), it takes 3 seconds for a long bow. The only time I start to remember how much time the bow took during a match I'm observing is when the combatants try to impress each other to death with unnecessary Jedi acrobatics and pithy custom taunts.

Like Mr. T, I pity the fool who stops to bow to me during an FFA match, because I'll roll a thermal detonator down their spine.

Archived