Home

Bowing in duels

PsYk0

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Q. "Why is GAY an insult??"

Excellent point - maybe the dude who started this thread has a male-orientated inferiority complex - maybe his lightsaber is part of his manhood?

It would also suggested why he is anti-bowing - perhaps it is a reminder of a bad experience whilst bending over one time?

hhmmm - but maybe not.

Generally, I respect the rules of the server, both written and unwritten. If they're bowing, I'll bow. if they start goign at it right away, I'll go at it right away. Basically, I strive NOT to be arsehole who type in leet-speak and spam-kills.

If they DFA spam, I'll do my best to purge them from the game as quickly as possible *g*

:duel:

I bow in matches just like I bow in martial arts. It's a sign of respect and increases the friendship between players. If someone doesn't bow, no big deal. But don't think that someone is an easy target just because they bow-far from it, I believe. These players are the same ones who show skill and honor each other with excellent moves, not just hacking and slashing.

yup, in duelling servers, i've also noticed that the 'bowing jedis'

are USUALLY (not all, mind you) the skilled ones confident in their moves and strategy....confident enough to take a bow and still know specific tactics that lures rushers into a 'false sense of security' .... ive noticed that some people actually use bowing to lure people into attacking...with a dodge-counter slash sequence ready to execute.

Obijon,

I agree with you whole heartedly, never in the movies do we see two jedi bow to each other before they fight.

However, never in the movies do we see two jedi have a lightsaber duel.

now for my self Q&A session.

Q: "But enDless, in every movie we see a Lightsaber duel. Vader has three of them, and Darth Maul has two of them"

A: Sorry Timmy, but you are wrong. What we see in the movies are Light Saber fights. There isn't much of a difference between a One on One fight and a duel(visually at least), aside from the fact that one just happens, and the other is usually the result of a challenge, done with rules, or at the very least with people not allowed to interfere.

Q: "But enDless, in a New Hope the Storm Troopers don't interfere with Vader and Obi-wan's lightsaber fight"

A: Right you are, however, they weren't told not to. In the Star Wars universe, it's been mentioned in the book several times that people have a fascination with watching people with lightsabers go at it. Then, there is also the question of Storm Troopers and accuracy. I mean, if you could barely hit the broad-side of a barn, would you fire into a melee engagement where there was a good chance of hitting Darth Vader? A man who kills people for making simple mistakes? As for the other movies. In ESB and RotJ Vader/Emperor send away all people who would interfere with the fight, as they wanted privacy to turn Skywalker. In TPM, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan send Amidala and crew away to finish the mission of capturing the Trade Federation Guy while they dealt with Darth Maul.

Sorry if that came across as rude, it wasn't meant to be (I'm sleepy still :) always am). The point is, we have no evidence as to whether or not jedi saluted/bowed before duelling. All we have is evidence that fighters in our time frame, and in the time frames/eras of where the jedi were based off of, did in fact bow or salute before a fight.

With that in mind. I want a 'Saber Salute' animation so I can "bow" without lowering my eyes.

Well regarding respect: I used to play XwA and while I never was in danger of being called the best pilot, I was good enough to give most of the people I met a run for their money. In my squad we had a lot of people with various skills, some worse than me and some better. We respected other squads if they acted nice(in and out of the actual game), skill had nothing to do with it.

We didn't care if someone bought the game ten minutes ago. If he respected the rules, and seemed like a fun person we usually recruited him. It was far easier to train someone and make him a decent to good player than it was to make an ******* with great skills into a nice person.:p

This only matters if you're into the whole squad/clan thing of course, if you're a loner you can do as you like.

And as far as the "Bowing is not a Jedi thing..." goes:

Unlike Q3 and Unreal the character this game encourages a little roleplaying and I see nothing wrong with that, to each his own.

While its called Jedi Knights, I thing fighting style and philosophy are far more related to the samurai than to the european medieval knight. Maybe GL looked that way for inspiration, and if so bowing isn't that far of the mark.

Archived