Home

*EP2 SPOILERS* Would a Sith REALLY bow?

Kanubis

...to steer this back on topic a little, my answer is:

It depends.

Someone like Maul or Vader with a fanatical hatred of their opponent would probably not be inclined to bow to them. Sidious/Palpatine... well, I have no idea, since so far he's never wielded a saber period in any of the movies, and I doubt he will in III, but he seems like the type to perhaps bow or salute if only out of joking/mocking malice.

More AOTC discussion:

Tyranus/Dooku salutes because, unlike say Maul or Sidious, he was trained as a Jedi and has a past with his opponent (He was one of Yoda's padawans). Moreover, despite being a Sith now, he doesn't have appear to have a raging hatred of Yoda, hence the respect he shows. The salute is punctuated with a statement that shows Dooku is acknowledging Yoda's inherent honor as a Jedi master ("Master Yoda. At last we shall know who is the most powerful.").

As far as in-game bowing, I'll bow if the other person wants to, if not, I won't bother. This isn't kendo.

Originally posted by MankaCat

Dooku != sith lord

he is a dark jedi

he's one of the 'fallen twenty' of the jedi order

as a sidenote: I blue stance lunge bowers in the face, then they stop

:o

Moooore AOTC spoilers:

Yes, he is. He's the Sith lord Darth Tyranus, Maul's replacement. Look at theforce.net's spoiler section if you don't believe it.

Bowing is 'G A Y' LOOOOOOOOOL.

I think it is more "G A Y" that someone can't leave the ship on BGJ in a duel map before a little $hithead tries to DFA him to death when he comes threw an exit. (and can't see it comming)

That is really 'G A Y'. I always bow. Yep.. respect and Yep ... letting your opponent see you are ready. I hate people who attack someone who isn't ready to fight. If you don't want to bow (which is your good right) at least have the descency to let other people do it and not attack them.

just my 2 €

Regards,

XIII

aka NTS_Archer

NTS Website

IMHO, darksiders shouldn't bow, and lightsiders should only bow to other lightsiders. That's the only time I'd see it happening.

The only kind of salute a Sith would give is not attacking straight away, or not immediately lighting up the saber, or something. Assuming they mean it as a salute...

Darth Vader knelt before the Emperor.. but then again, he's the Emperor, and that's what you do to show him respect!

I don't recall if Obi-Wan and Qui Gon ever "bowed" to anyone in TPM that wasn't a ruler of some sort, so I don't even know how well it fits into any kind of role-playing "Jedi" thing you can think of.

I don't see it as being in any way mandatory. I guess it can look cool, but so does the taunting or just fighting. ; )

If anyone replies 'who cares, bowing is gay' to this, I will kill them. In real life if possible.

Okay. Hold on a sec while I call the cops...

Would they bow? Probably not, not unless they actualy have respect. Even then they might only nod at them with a malicious grin on thier face.

However even if they are afriad to die, they are not so cowardly to attack unarmed jedi unless the fight was already underway.

(for example a Jedi escaping down a corridor, turning off his saber to be more silent and waiting in ambush is a valid target saber drawn or not, if you spot him first)

Thus if the engagement hadn't started, bow or not the second you light your saber or make an offensive move, you are fair game... end of story.

But this isn't role playing either. so in game terms if I see a text in the chat thing that says: "wait my mouse is fouled up..." or something from the guy I am fighting, I would back off to a safe distance and wait it out.

So in role play sense ETC? Yeah they would at least allow the enemy jedi to be ready to fight. Maul didn't jump Gin or Wan, Vader never jumped Wan or Luke, even the emperor only did his thing after Luke I am sure knew it (whatever It might be) was coming...

Remember Jedi, Dark, sith or otherwise, I am SURE have some sense of honor. thereis Honor amognts thieves remember, But no honor for thugs...

Any Jedi like enemy has some sense of honor, and they are certainly not thugs. strom troopers? thugs.... sith/Dark jedi? Not thugs. End of story.

Cheap shots are still going to happen though, so don't expect a sith or dark jedi to have mercy on you just because you sheathed your saber. About the only measure of mercy you can expect, is a short delay before they attack you when you first spot them.

In the SP game, the reborn always let you know they are coming in some way, and even if they take you by surprise, they don't simply start hacking away at you for at least a few seconds.

In every instance of the reborn however you know they are there before they launch a real attack, even if they just taunt you, it is a split seconds worth of crucial data they don't have to give, but do anyway.

The shadow troopers don't just stay hidden till your back is turned then saber you to death do they? No... they leap down or make their presance known, light their saber, THEN attack... you still know it is coming.

thus I think a Dark Jedi or sith, Would at least give you a chance to prepare to die/fight. If you took ten minutes to bow or something then of course they would probably jump in and hack your guts out though...

So the next question is, would a Jedi bother to bow to a sith or dark Jedi? We already know they wouldn't attack you without due warning unless the fight was in full swing, even if just because that is the right thing to do.

So really would a jedi take the time to Bow? I doubt it. gin and Obi never looked at eachother and started hamering at Maul before he lit his saber either.

In fact the only time a Sith ever seemed to have tried to jump a Jedi was in Episode one, when Maul tracks down Gin on his bike thing. but even then gin had ample time to prepare, it wasn't like Gin didn't have his saber lit yet. Remember he tried to run Aniken down? gin told Anekin to drop to the ground?

so anyway regardless I feel this debate will rage for years... it's as bad as coke vs pepsi, PS2 vs Xbox, or Game cube, and democrat Vs republican... Opinions are like butts, we all have one and they all stink...

I'm not sure how you guys are "bowing" in MP JK...

Saluting one's opponent in fencing is common...there are distinctive styles of salutes with a sword that shows what school of fencing you're from.

I'm in the habit of shutting off my saber between combats...it adds a certain dramatic flare to the game to approach (or be approached by) an opponent..face them, and light the saber...sometimes with a "muaahaahaaaaa...!" taunt...

Add a little roleplay to the game...it's fun.

M.

I am sure that some Sith would bow. Think of Kyp Durron he was, Sith/Dark Jedi/Fallen Jedi, from what I remember he still had respect for other jedi. My facts might be messed up because I read those books back 5 years ago.

I am sure that some would bow because some would still have respect for other jedi, bad or not. I think that Darth Vader in the movie saluted Kenobi before he struck him down.

Just because you are evil doesn't mean you can't be respectful of other's abilities.

vader and dooku were both former jedi who were raised with the discipline of jedi teachings so would probably salute or whatever out of habit.

on the other hand..

i think if u bothered to bow to darth maul he'd take the opportunity to slice of both your arms and stck them up your dot before your were finished.

-patch

Archived