Home

The one and only worst gripe

stellerwinds

If i had to choose any one single thing to gripe about. It would be backwards running.

I hate backwards running.

The very concept of backwards running is an assault to my state of well being (as little of that as there is)

All other gripes come second and are frivolous in comparison to backwards running.

Even the sloppy saber hit detection does not compare to the evil that is backwards running.

I thought we had moved away from the zanny racing car speeds that humans achieve in games such as quake. Those days are in the past. The evolution of better movement in newer games such as CS and RTCW has been put on hiatus in JO for some reason.

WHY!?

CS and RTCW show us that even more fun can be had once you tie aiming to movement. Instead of the zany chaotic jumble of DM minded fragfests, you can move into the much more fun realm of tactical FPS combat, if you just tie aiming to movement.

Is it so much to ask to take time to aim?

Running while fighting is not inherantly bad. But there is no incentive to holding a position. Your stance does not gain strength from holding still. Your aim does not improve.

There should be a balance between running around, especially backwards, while firing as opposed to holding your ground.

Stop the maddness!

Maybe you are right, but JKII isn't a tactical shooter. But I'd rather see your aiming considerably getting worse if you are moving about frantically, even more when you are jumping. How about the lightsabers? They are tied to movement obviously so one cannot do anything about them. At least the models do simulate the bobbing movements when in running, maybe they should mandate that movement while running backwards.

A couple of suggestions to make backward running more realistic:

There should be health (not shield) damage if you're running backwards at top speed and smack into a wall. AND/OR you should at least get knocked down. (think about it - running backwards while fighing = not looking where you are going).

How about this:

Run Backwards & hit wall = -20 points health

Run Backwards Down Steps = Fall on your @SS and -20 health

Run Backwards Up Steps = Fall on your @SS

Run Backwards off a ledge = Death

Well I can run quickly backwards, but sure as hell not as fast as I can forwards :)

CS had the movement speeds just right, you could either back off slowly fighting, or turn and peg it but risk getting shot in the back, just like IRL :D

I'm sick and tired of bot games which devolve into chasing the bot round the entire level while he runs backwards. People aren't so much of a problem, as they can't see where they are going, and tend to back into corners anyway. But please please please, movement speeds have to be tuned...

Well #1 I really don'T think when your running foreward you could classify that as top speed. It's more of a jog both ways.

And as much as i agree with you about the backwards running, You kinda need it on some cases to dodge those heavy stance attacks coming your way. (Not i'm not complaining about heavy so dont start). I think it's needed for some aspects that's all. I know in others it's a pain. ALso even if they did fix it your just gonna have people bunny hopping backflips all the time then. It's pretty much a Lose - Lose situation.

I like being able to run backwards at the same speed as forward increases pace of the game. This isn't a tactical shooter this is set in a science fiction universe so real life physics have absolutely no bearing in this game. Your also a friggin jedi higher sense and all that so why can't you run backwards at the same speed you run forwards?

Could it also be that he isn't running at top speed forward? Granted, with force speed on that probably isn't the chance. However, if you look at how they run they look as if they are jogging more than sprinting for their life.

Consider that =]

Oooh good call, make it harder to aim while running... maybe give the crosshair a "bob" effect (think the low level sniper skill in Deus Ex) when the character is running. This would indeed increase the balence of the weapons. However the repeater would still be a problem ;)

Slower backwards running would work too, I hope some one mods this in... or Raven updates with it.

Also, would it not be SERIOUSLY cool if Raven took some of the top mods (after half a year or so) and officially endorsed them, kinda like the add-on packs for UT.

Archived