Home

I am a newbie, so don't kill me.

The Gibb

I just downloaded the editting tools for JK2, and I have never done this sort of thing before. Anyone have a couple minutes to spare to tell me where to start making a map? I'd appreciate any help, and I am really curious how to do this, but right now its all greek to me. You gotta start somewhere right? Thanks, all.

Later,

Gibb

You could just fiddle around with the program, and ecventually you will get it, but anyways:

Project Settings:

1st of all, go to the 'file' menu at the top, and click on 'Project Settings'. Make sure that all the paths listed in there are correct, if they are incorrect, then change them and click OK when your done, and restart the program.

Creating a simple brush:

To make a brush (A solid wall, floor, celing, etc..), right-click and drag the mouse across the screen.

Texturing your brush:

go to the 'textures' menu at the top, and select the set of textures you want to use (there should be a long list of texture paths if you set it up the project settings correctly). Wait for it to load all the textures, and when its done, they should all appear in the lower- right corner of the screen. If your brush is not selected, then re-select it by holding SHIFT and left-clicking the brush. Once it's selected, select the texture you want to put on it and it should automatically appear on the brush.

3d view:

At the upper-right portion of the screen is a 3d view of your map.

Move up= D

Move Down = C

Foreward= up arrow

backward= down arrow

Turn left= left arrow

Turn right= right arrow

turn up= A

turn down= Z

Straf left= <

Straf right= >

You'll get used to all the keys eventually, but thats how you move in the 3d view.

Texturing a single surface (A face) of a brush:

If your brush(s) are selected, then de-select them by pushing ESC. Select a texture. If you have a 3rd mouse button, then click, with that button, on the side you want to give that texture on the 3d view of the map, and your done. If you dont have a 3rd mouse button, you can select a surface of a brush by holding CTRL+SHIFT and right clicking the side you want to texture. Then click on the texture you want on that side of the brush.

entities Hit the n button on your keyboard to get the entity window, which lists all the entities you can use in your map. Just create a brush, and while its selected, double click one of these entities and the selected brush will turn into that entity. When you single click one of the entities on the entity list, it should give you a description of what it does, and how to use it. Entities are used for doors, switches, pendulums, rotating objects, placing weapns around the map, etc.

Theres alot more to it, but that should get you started. Just try out the diffrent options and see what everything does. Good luck with your maps.

-Paracyte

If you want to be able to run around in your map you'll need to know a little more...

Make a 6 sided cube room with 6 brushes. Make sure there are no leaks (holes) in them. They must all come together. Jumping into the void isn't something you want players to do... *worked with WorldCraft though LOL*

You can't spawn without a certain entity. If you're making a Deathmatch map you'll need a info_player_deathmatch placed in the room. If it's a single player make a info_player_start.

OH, and let there be light. You're making your own world and it isn't wise to leave that out :p

Make a light entity, highlight it, press N. Make the radius 300 and add a property called "brightness" make that value 300. *I'm not sure if that is neccessary, but it did work for me.* Place this in the center of the room.

EDIT: Oh yea you need to do a little more. You must compile after you do all of that. Do this by clicking "bsp" at the top and then click the bottom option "FullVis" for this time. Don't do this until you've already used "save as" and named it something simple like "1stmap". Now open JKII, go to console (SHIFT + ~) and type "map 1stmap" (if you called it 1stmap). Without the quotes.

If all goes well you'll spawn in a little room.

Now experiment away and you can take off from there heh...

Ok cool Cmdr. A., I just had to do that with Half-Life in the WorldCraft editor which is where I got most of my experience thus far so I just did it with Radiant too.

Seems to take alot longer to compile JKII maps and I can't run them from the editor like WorldCraft... so far I'm not liking this editor as much as WorldCraft but then again I'm not used to it.

Ok well I need some help while on the topic. When I rightclick it brings up nothing about entities, just about grouping and whatnot, my brother had done it to bring up entities earlier but he messed it up while I was away from the comp, how do I get that ability back, to put in entities?

hey,

i thought id stay in this post and hopefully someone can help?

ive been using the editor fine (considering my lack of knowledge and skills in the area) and i was developing my MP map. all of a sudden i realised that my light and info_player_start entities were missing. they werent hidden. from now on, whenever i add those entities and im assuming others, i cant space to duplicate them, the original disapears and when I press escape to deselect, they disapear too.

anyone know how to fix this?

~* beau *~

thanks unikorn :D

you are up there with tems now on my list of legends!

i think my girlfriend loves you coz ive just spent that last 4 hours trying to work out what i did wrong.

it must have been a keystroke or something i pushed in my excitement?

haha

~* beau *~

Can someone help me with the new JK2 Skins? I download the .pk3 file and then what? Some skin instructions tell me to place it in the /base folder, I do, I then go into Single Player (SP) and I don't see Maul, or any new skins? How do I use the skins I create or others have created? I cannot play MP yet, I have a dual AMD.

Thanks,

FEXX

From what I understand, you cannot use those skins in single player... There are a few select single player skins available (like Desann) but be careful when loading them (there's a possibility that they may mess with your assets0.pk3 file.

Skins are pretty much just for multiplayer, although singleplayer specific ones do exist.

Speaking of the dual processing thing... I heard that there was a fix for that out. You might want to check with Raven technical support.

Aside from that... once you get the multiplayer working, you should be fine. You seem to have installed the files right.

Archived