Home

newbie in radiant

obigui

Hi, I am a newbie in radiant and I have few problem with it :(

First I want to known why I have light in the room that I create without placing a light in it ??? It is frustrating because I can't use the possibility of lighting (like a dark room with just light in some corner for example).

Second I want to now If it is possible to import in radiant some model of ship (like tie fighter or x-wing) model of table or crates that I see in the game. because I found how to import NPC or force power or weapon but no ship or light or table...

I am french and some tutorial have technical terms that I don't understand,that's why the answer of my question is probably in a tutorial but I havent found it :(

Thank to reply to a newbie who be lost in radiant

Lights

1: Is the light ambient? Like, equally the same everywhere?

2: If your lights don't appear in the game, you should let the BSP compile all the way. It WILL close itself.

Models

Firstly, the models seem to be quite hard to actually insert them into Radiant.

1: Right click on the main grid window

2: Click on misc > misc_model

3: A window will pop up asking for you to locate the model on your hardrive. It should be an .md3 file.

Regards, Reelo

q3bsp had a bug in it where maps which had very little to them (ie, just a room) wouldn't light, and the map would end up with full-bright on. Much like the unlit screenshots I posted earlier, but I forced that cause there are no lights yet :p

If you can explain me step by step how to put this models in a directory, it will be cool because I don't understand where they are .

Thank for your help because I relly think that I am lost ;)

As far as lighting goes, I had a big problem with it until someone told me to add the command for light in at the bottom of the screen. You have to add the light and # in before it will do anything. If you don't, you'll get a completely dark room, because the default ambient light will go and the emplaced lights will go out.

For the models, I right clicked, and went to misc -> models, selected the model. But it gave me the following error:

Unable to open the file "c:/unzipped/assets0/models/map_objects/bespin/statue.md3", (Further errors from this file will be ignored during the rest of this edit session)

Any thoughts?

Sorry about the "mr know it all" thing, but here goes

Incase You Don't Have Winzip

1: You can download the latest trial from http://www.winzip.com

2: Once you have it installed, open the program from your ProgramFiles directory folder: (the program itself is called: WINZIP32)

3: The trial window will popup first, in which you need to click on "I Agree" down the bottom.

4: Close the "tip of the day menu", and you are now in the "Winzip Classic" window.

5: At the top of the window, click Open.

6: In the new window, go to your Base directory in the Jedi Outcast folder.

7: The model files (.md3) are located in the "assets0.pk3" folder.

8: Click on the "Type" button to set order to the file types.

9: Scroll down to find the list of MD3 files. Click once on the first one, and scroll down to find a list of TGA files.

10: With the first MD3 file selected, hold down the SHIFT key, and click once on the last TGA file. This will highlight everything from the first Model file, to the last TGA file.

11: Now click on "Extract"

12: If you have a seperate folder for your specific map that you're creating, it will be a good idea to extract the files into there.

13: The files should now be extracted (copied from the PK3 file) into the folder selected.

Hope this helps!

-Reelo

Originally posted by Reelo

8: Click on the "Type" button to set order to the file types.

9: Scroll down to find the list of MD3 files. Click once on the first one, and scroll down to find a list of TGA files.

10: With the first MD3 file selected, hold down the SHIFT key, and click once on the last TGA file. This will highlight everything from the first Model file, to the last TGA file.

11: Now click on "Extract"

12: If you have a seperate folder for your specific map that you're creating, it will be a good idea to extract the files into there.

13: The files should now be extracted (copied from the PK3 file) into the folder selected.

Hope this helps!

-Reelo

I get step 1-7, where's this Type button? I am in WinZip Classic, I clicked Open, to the model folder, i see 1 .jpg and 1 .md3 file per file name...what do I do from there?

Thx Thx Thx :)

ok I do what you tell to do, but when I import models in radiant he says that he cannot found them and if I try to see model in md3view he cannot found the texture. I can see the model but he is anly white (like a shadow but in white). Can you help me again ;)

For my lighting problem now its work thanks :)

I get step 1-7, where's this Type button?

Sorry, if I could get an image put into this message it would be alot easier but I don't know how.

Okay, you see the window with the white background that has the list of the files? There are a few buttons along the top of it.

"Name, Type, Modified, Size......" those just help to categorize the files. You'll find Type there amongst them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

About the textures and the model problems, I also seem to have that very problem. I'm not sure how to fix it, but I might have an idea.

When the program loads the model file, it of course looks for it's texture (.TGA) right? Well then maybe it'll work if you extract the "whole" PK3 file to your map's folder.

You can do this by unselecting any files that my be

highlighted.

Make sure nothing is selected, and click "Extract". Now just select the directory to extract them to (which should be your map's folder.) This will take a little while!

-Reelo

Nice answers on the model question... however, ambient light.needs some... "readjustment".

To get ambient light to work make sure nothing is selected in radiant, then press n and pick worldspawn, add the command:

light

This alone WILL NOT WORK, you also have to add a light colour. Try adding an extra command:

_color

1 1 1

This tells the ambient light to produce itself as a white light that will appear throughout the map no matter how large or small it is.

I do what you said but it doesn't work :(

When I dezippe all the pk3 files in my map's folder, he create some folder (texture,video,music,models.....)

When I try to use the md3viewer he continue to tell me that he doesn't found the tga files :(

but I don't undestand because I have dezippe all the pk3 files

Did I do something wrong??

I use XP, it is a problem???

Originally posted by Reelo

Sorry, if I could get an image put into this message it would be alot easier but I don't know how.

Okay, you see the window with the white background that has the list of the files? There are a few buttons along the top of it.

"Name, Type, Modified, Size......" those just help to categorize the files. You'll find Type there amongst them.

If you want to put pictures on here, you'll have to upload your picture to a webspace, then use the "IMG" tag on the top to direct to it...

Well, I found Type, but I dont see a list of .TGA files...looks like this:

model.jpg

Please help. Thanks :)

Archived