Home

bot_minplayers not right

penguin_hash

I have sv_maxclients "10" and bot_minplayers "8". But when a third person joins in the game, there's a "game full" warning. What's going on? From the different quake3 websites, I thought a bot was supposed to be auto-kicked whenever a real person joins.

This is on a Linux dedicated.

------------------------

// game type

// 0 Free For All

// 1 Holocron

// 2 Jedi Master

// 3 Duel

// 5 Team Free For All

// 6 Capture the Flag

// 7 Capture the Ysalimari

set g_gametype "0"

// server settings

seta sv_maxclients "10"

seta sv_minclients "0"

seta sv_privateClients "6"

seta g_inactivity "0"

seta sv_maxRate "8000"

set sv_pure "1"

// logs

seta logfile "0"

seta g_logsync "0"

// voting

seta g_allowvote "1"

// game settings

seta timelimit "20"

seta capturelimit "20"

seta g_friendlySaber "1"

seta g_friendlyFire "1"

seta g_saberRealisticCombat "1"

seta g_duelWeaponDisable "0"

// auto-cycle through maps

set g_autoMapCycle 1

// setup bots

set bot_enable "1"

set bot_minplayers "8"

seta g_spSkill "3"

seta bot_challenge "1"

seta bot_nochat "1"

seta bot_fastchat "0"

// maps

map ffa_bespin

map ffa_deathstar

map ffa_imperial

map ffa_ns_hideout

map ffa_ns_streets

map ffa_raven

map ffa_yavin

The important values are bot_minplayers, sv_minclients and sv_maxclients.

sv_maxclients is the total number of players allowed.

bot_minplayers is the MAXIMUM number of bots to be used.

with sv_minclients set to 0 it means that there is no minimum number of players so it will fill with as many bots as it can put in. Try setting this to 2 or 3.

( I could be wrong here, I've typed this out 5 times now trying to get it to sound how I mean but I just cannot get the right wording )

Let's see, you have maxclients set to 10 and privatecllients set to 6. That means there's only 4 open slots. Are the players that are joining using the private pass or no? You might try setting the privateclients to 0 temporarily just to test it out.

sv_privateclients is supposed to keep a reserve number of slots open... kind of a soft count, so it shouldn't count in the overall number of players. At any rate, I got "server full" after two people joined, not after four, so it doesn't sound like that is the problem.

I am running on dual processors, though Intel. I can try booting to a single-processor kernel instead and see how that goes.

But the config file basically looks right to everyone?

Actually, the number of private slots IS subtracted from sv_maxclients. If you have sv_maxClients "16" and sv_privateClients "4", then only 12 public players can join. As far as the config goes, you call a bunch of different maps at the end instead of just one they way you should. All you're doing to forcing the server to cycle through all those maps quickly at startup.

I still suggest you temporarily set sv_privateClients "0" and test it out that way first. At least then you can determine if the fact that bot_minplayers is greater than the number of public spots is the problem or not.

Archived