Home

DARK FORCES Mod

jedi_prince

This goes out to all the modders out there:

Since I lack the skills of modding/skinnig/mapping I just wanted to propose this:

How about a Dark Forces mod...you know, a complete remake of the old thing, every single mission and so forth....

so, how about it....anybody feeling up to the job?

On your mod wesite it says

"Soon you'll be playing Dark Forces the way it was meant to be played!"

thats gotta be the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

it was meant to be played like it was originally made, like 6 years ago. What were you guys thinking?

Originally posted by omses

it was meant to be played like it was originally made, like 6 years ago. What were you guys thinking?

*Troll Alert*

Originally posted by NewBJedi

*Troll Alert*

Actually he's got a point. The feel of Dark Forces was in the engine, and yes that means the sprites and things :)

I agree that Dark Forces should have a face lift. Nothing wrong with redoing classics. Hell, Disney does it.

Originally posted by omses

Well in a sense it makes perfect sense because the game resources for Dark Forces were originally made with the great detail, only later to be reduced down substantially so the game would run under DOS with 8 MB of RAM.

All the actors started as true 3D high-poly true-color models - but were converted to 2 dimensional 8bit pallettized WAX files . . .

Music was dumped to MIDI format to save disk space instead of using a compressed wave format . . .

Map geometry was simplified so that the engine could render it on a slow ISA video card . . .

you get the idea. Putting Dark Forces into the Jedi Outcast "undoes" all of those reductions in quality, so with a little stretch, you really can play "like it was meant to be played" if only the technology that exists now existed 8 years ago . . .

Darth Linux

Archived