Home

Details About Some Patch Changes

ChangKhan

ok I posted this else where so I might as well post it here to.

I dont know how many posts have been devoted to people bitching at the changes made in 1.03 or people bitching about those people.

The fact is the patch did not consider all the factors in this game,the SP style sabering was a mistake the high block % and lowered saber damage can make battles long and drawn out barring the use of backstab. CTF is now totaly unplayable with both area of effect guns having such large ammo consumptions and chasing a flag carrier around with a saber or trying to shot them with a blaster type weapon is not an option,also drain and heal are worthless now when they used to be overpowered some middle ground should be found here.

Changes need to be made for a better balance between both patches such as.

-lower blocking %

-saber damage being returned to prepatch.

-backstab damage being made = to a hvy stance slash might be effective.

-ammo cost needs to be lowered on both the golan and the repeater's 2nd fire.

-heal/drain need to be balanced better so they have some actual use.

I am sure there is something else that is slipping my mind at this time but in a nut shell these changes will make a majority of the people playing this game happy.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seemed as if Raven didn't put too much time into the patch :). The main thing was actually about the DFA, sure some whined about "drain whores" and "heal sluts", but not to a point in which they wanted it nerfed or changed. I agree with absorb though, at least about being hidden at least. For those who played JK1 this should be no problem, absorb could never be seen in Jk1. Stop whining about absorb being "hidden" now. If your too stupid not to test if he has absorb on then piss off and go grab some cogs and 10 dollars. Perhaps then you can enjoy the zone, JK1 1 hits, and lag. :mad: *bows*

1558118772.m.gifObi-Wan Kenobi: Don't defy the council, Master, not again.

Qui-Gon Jinn: I will do what I must, Obi-Wan. :saberb:

Running around backwards trying to tag someone with your backstab is pretty silly... That's what many do for kills now (with some Pull/grip if force is on). Feels really stupid compared to how we used to fight.

Saber Throwing in No-Force duel servers? You can't throw a saber like that without use of the force. And this ruins all of these servers. Thanks.

Nice patch you got there, there are other problems I haven't mentioned but you get the idea. Go to the Anti-saberist website for more...

Honestly, are you people crippled that much by the patch? Or just slightly handicapped?

I'm a full force using gunner and saberist pre-patch, I kicked everyone's asses. Now, post-patch, I'm still a full force using gunner and saberist and I STILL kick everyone's asses. In my opinion most of the changes are negliable and almost hardly noticeable.

Saber combat. Sure, more blocking, takes longer. But I can still kill some one within fifteen seconds. Heavy and light special attacks are the way they always should've been (and yes, I have killed people with the DFA attack). The only thing that needs to be looked at now are the backward attacks. Currently, they're a bit too fast and unavoidable if you're on the ground. I'd say make the animation about 0.25 of a second slower.

Heal and Drain. Perfect as they are now. Instead of using them every 10 seconds, I use them every 20. I can survive another 10 seconds.

Grip. Good job Raven! Though for some weird reason, sometimes people will still throwing me around at speeds up to and beyond 200mph.

Guns. I still use them, and I still kill people with them, I hardly notice the less times I can use the secondary attacks with the heavy repeater and the flechette. All I have to do is take an extra second to aim better. Or I could just... You know, go into the next room and pick up some ammo.

CTF games. I'm still getting my ass smashed by the heavy repeater actually... ^_^

Saber blocking. Is it just me or do sabers only block 95% of all the bolts, blaster shots fired in their direction? I like it, now the saberists aren't completely invincible against non-explosive guns if they dont attack/swing their saber.

-Caster

You know, I don't know what all the hubbub is about CTF.

I played CTF last night on a server with guns and force enabled and had a blast. There was more than enough ammo. Wanna know why? IT RESPAWNS. Just go back and grab more, man. Yes, the guns use up ammo quickly, but SFW? There's still the same amount of ammo packs out there to be had.

And if you're so worried about not being able to use the repeater's secondary or the missile launcher (which, to my knowledge, STILL only fires one missile at a time) try using the OTHER WEAPONS. Yes, there ARE other weapons in the game.

I had about six kills last night using the sniper rifle on defense. I got a few kills from dropping and detonating detpacks while guys were chasing me. When playing D on a map, I also used the detpacks as a decoy. I dropped three or four of 'em by the flag, knowing that there were snipers covering the base as well. When the enemy ran up to get the flag, he was dead the minute he entered the room. Why? Because he stopped to shoot the detpacks. In that moment of hesitation, he was disintegrated. Either way, he would've been toast. I would've blown the detpacks and killed him, or he would've been sniped.

Guns are not useless.

Force powers are not useless either, despite people complaining about them. I saw multiple people kill and be killed by grip tonight. Yes, it can be absorbed away, and yes, it can be countered with a push or sabre throw, but it still works to immobilize the enemy. Drain still works as well. I still get health back when I drain a guy. It just doesn't suck down ALL his force in a matter of seconds. It's balanced now. Absorb is balanced so that you can't just wait until it runs out to drain and grip your enemy to death. You actually have to try using the force on them first to see if they're using it. Lightning still kicks ass for you darksiders out there, too. And you know what? Absorb won't counter it all the time. A lot of people don't know this because people max out absorb and max out lightning, but if you have lightning 3 and the other guy has absorb 2, he'll gain force back when you zap him, but he'll STILL take damage. It happened to me earlier and I couldn't figure out why, until I leveled the playing field and reassigned force points to absorb 3. Look for servers that play at Jedi Guardian or Jedi Knight level, instead of the ubiquitous Jedi Master servers out there. Trust me, force is definitely still useful.

The only thing at this point that I see needing to be tweaked really is the backstab thing (which is being looked into) and maybe a reduction in the blocking radius. IE: from the current 180 degrees in front to maybe 90 degrees in front, using blue stance (and decreasing gradually, depending on if you're moving and on the stance you use). Actually, I don't even mind the blocking the way it is. I actually LIKE long sabre fights. they're more intense and satisfying to win to me. And I don't mind losing either, if I know it was a good fight.

So really, my attitude is that if they fix the backstab the game will be perfect.

Backstab, to me at least, needs the following changes:

1.) Make it impossible to rotate while doing the move. As with blue stance, if you do the move, you're frozen in position.

2.) Nerf the damage. Yeah, that's right. Nerf it. No one hit kills in this game, please, unless we make ALL hits one hit kills. I don't mind it dealing out good damage, just don't make it an uber move. There should not be uber moves in this game, since we've seen clearly that some silly bastards out there will spend their entire game doing NOTHING but that one move.

3.) Slow down the speed just a touch. Not much, just by a hair maybe.

I am going to skip the rest of the pages for this thread because im getting pissed (and tired of reading cause its 4:17 AM) ALL OF YOU NEED TO STFU AND LEAVE RAVEN THE HELL ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. GOD!! I AM SO SICK OF HEARING THE B**CHING AND WHINING FOM BOTH SIDES!!! DARTH NOODLES SAID IT BUT IM SAING IT AGAIN....YOU LAZY LITTLE @$$ HOLES WHO WHINE ABOUT THE FLIP KICK ARE PATHETIC! I SAY ITS A GOOD IDEA, NOW YOU GET TO KEEP THE FLIP KICK BUT WONT BACKFLIP YOURSELF OFF A CLIFF WHEN JUMPING UP ON A CRATE. I HAVENT EVEN INSTALLED THE PATCH YET BUT FROM WHAT CHANG SAID, ITS IS CERTAINLY A GREAT PATCH. I AM NOT A HARDCORE SABERIST. YEAH I ALMOST ALWAYS USE THE SABER BUT I FIND GUNS COME IN HANDY AS WELL. THAT SAID, I HAVE ALWAYS DESPISED THE STRONG STANCE. IT WASNT A FLAW FOR ME, JUST TOO SLOW FOR MY TASTES. I SEE ALOT OF STRONG STANCE LOVERS (ESPECIALY DFA FREAKS) OUT THERE WHO PROBABLY B**CH THE MOST BECAUSE RAVEN BALANCED THE RED STANCE OUT. THIS MEANS LEARN TO USE OTHER STANCES TOO MORONS!!!! AS FOR THE GUNS, I DOUBT THEY MADE ANY CHANGES TO THEM. WHY?? THERE WAS VERY LITTLE WRONG WITH THEM TO BEGIN WITH. FOR THOSE WHO B**CH THAT THE GAME IS "JEDI" KNIGHT...THE GUNS ARE THERE BECAUSE THERE ARE GUNS IN STAR WARS AND IT WOULD NOT BE TRUE STAR WARS WITHOUT THEM, AND REMEMBER JEDI ARE KNOWN TO USE GUNS TOO OCCASIONALY WHEN GUNS ARE NECCESARY. SAME GOES FOR THOSE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT SABERS. I NEVER REALLY USED DRAIN BECAUSE I NEVER SAW THE NEED. IT IS JUST LIKE A DARK SIDER TO HEAL HIMSELF AT HIS OPPONENTS EXPENSE, BUT IT WOULD BE MORE EVIL AND MORE EFFECTIVE TO DRAIN FROM HIS HEALTH, AFTER ALL, FORCE ENERGY RECHARGES, HEALTH DOESNT AND THAT WOULD CREATE A BALANCE BETWEEN HEAL AND DRAIN. BUT NO MATTER WHAT MY OPINION IS OF THE NEW PATCH AS WELL AS FUTURE PATCHES, I HAVE THE COMMON SENSE AND COURTESY NOT TO B**TCH AND ORDER RAVEN TO CHANGE IT!!!! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU JUST WENT THROUGH ALL THE HARD WORK OF MAKING A -=FREE=- PATCH FOR PEOPLE, ONLY TO HAVE THEM PISS AND MOAN, TELL YOU ITS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AND INSIST YOU CHANGE IT OR TAKE IT AWAY?? I MYSELF, AND MOST LIKELY MANY IF NOT ALL OF YOU WOULD TELL THOSE WHINING IDIOTS TO GO F**K THEMSELVES AND NEVER MAKE ANOTHER PATCH, LET THEM DEAL WITH WHAT THEY HAVE. THERES AN OLD SAYING. "DONT BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU" THINK ABOUT IT YOU F**KING PR**KS!!!!

Ok, I am now back to my normaly pleasant manner

Originally posted by DigitalVapor

A pat on the back my friend, you got it all in a nut shell. But be prepared for the Anti-patchers they will now use the argument that they have the right to bitch and whine (1st amendment) and that you are just whining yourself about them. I say ignore them and hopefully they will go away or else we will all go blue in the face arguing. That reminds me I'm late for the argument clinic!

I hope John Cleese still works there. :)

Originally posted by Flaming_Saber

A pat on the back my friend, you got it all in a nut shell. But be prepared for the Anti-patchers they will now use the argument that they have the right to bitch and whine (1st amendment) and that you are just whining yourself about them. I say ignore them and hopefully they will go away or else we will all go blue in the face arguing.

Well, they can bring up the First Amendment all they want. That argument doesn't hold water in the least. The First Amendment says that CONGRESS shall make no LAW abridging the freedom of speech, freedom of the press, or free excercise of religion. CONGRESS. LAW. Do you see any legislators making laws about this particular forum?

Put simply, when you post on a private server, especially one where you have not PAID anything to gain access, YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION. If the mod wants to ban you because they don't like your signature, if they want to ban you because they ONLY want Nazis posting on the board, if they ban you because they ate broccoli for lunch and it didn't sit well with them, THAT IS THEIR RIGHT AND YOU CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT. So PLEASE, let's move on from the First Amendment argument. If you want to bitch about what rights you have, LEARN WHAT THEY ARE FIRST.

That reminds me I'm late for the argument clinic!

No it doesn't. :)

Originally posted by Solo4114

No it doesn't. :)

That isn't an argument! It's just contradiction! :D

Ummm, I wasn't making an argument about the 1st amendment

nor did I even want to get into it but thanks for refressing us.

I was just making a statement to be prepared about the Anti-Patchers and it was the only thing I could think of to throw into the message at the time. I should have said freedom of expression. Not that there is anything wrong with that but post after post of griping is a bit over the top. If they would put themselves into the shoes of the guys at Raven, who are nice enough to keep supporting the game with patches, comming here and reading the gripe posts. All that the gamers need to

do is make one or two posts in calm coherent manner and express their issues about the patch and send email to raven about their displeasure with the patch and give some suggestions of tweaking it for the next patch instead of running around like C3PO crying out "We're Doomed, We're DOOMED! Speaking of Doomed I can't wait for the new DOOM. I like the patch myself and I readily agree it needs a bit more tweaking but it's still fun to play.

Anyway, it seems to me that I think everyone has gotten the idea cause the gripe posting has been tappering down a bit. But then again I don't go into all of the threads here. Don't thread on me, doh! :)

That isn't an argument! It's just contradiction! :D

No it isn't. :D

Anyway, I didn't mean you specifically in regards to the First Amendment stuff. I just wanted to launch a preemptive strike against other people who would undoubtedly pop on here and say, "HEY!! YOU'RE WRONG! I HAVE A FIRST AMDMENTMENT RIGHT TO SAY WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT WHENEVER THE HELL I WANT WHEREEVER THE HELL I WANT!!" Which of course, is complete popycock. (sp?) :)

Anyway, I may not agree with what everyone says here, but as long as we keep things civil and constructive, I say let the ideas flow. BUT, remember, posting is a PRIVILEGE.

Yes, backstab was in patch 1.02. Was it even close to being abused as it is now? Not a chance. Attribute it to a number of things. Flip kick being changed to a double tap makes it harder to execute, increased chance of blocking normal saber attacks, drain/heal being nerfed, and DFA being nerfed all contribute to the proliferation of backsweep/stab now. Players will use whatever tools, cheap as they may be, to win. You know something is being abused when you see people walking around *backwards* just hitting attack trying to get a backsweep. Everyone wants the quick and easy kills, and currently backsweep is the only way to get that, barring some excellent saber targeting. I've pretty much given up playing CTF and FFA because of all the backsweep users. At least with version 1.02, I didn't immediately know what to expect from my next opponent.

Originally posted by Solo4114

No it isn't. :D

Now I've told you before, I'm not allowed to argue until

you've paid!

Anyway, I didn't mean you specifically in regards to the First Amendment stuff. I just wanted to launch a preemptive strike against other people who would undoubtedly pop on here and say, "HEY!! YOU'RE WRONG! I HAVE A FIRST AMDMENTMENT RIGHT TO SAY WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT WHENEVER THE HELL I WANT WHEREEVER THE HELL I WANT!!" Which of course, is complete popycock. (sp?) :)

Anyway, I may not agree with what everyone says here, but as long as we keep things civil and constructive, I say let the ideas flow. BUT, remember, posting is a PRIVILEGE.

Yea I know it wasn't aimed at me personaly, I just wanted to keep this thread going a bit. Give everyone something to think about other than the dum, dum, dum "PATCH". :D True, about being a priviledge, just like any other organization one joins with rules and regulations.

I think that in this patch there are too many things that doesnt propely work!

_People didnt like the Smash, an istant unblocking shot able to kill with 1 hit!.. and now we have backstabs and backrolls... able to kill FASTER then smash!

_Blocking enemy shots was a strategy, a skill, u were able to put your lightsaber vs the enemy one to block the shot!, right now ALL shots can be blocked and it's almost impossibile to find a right scheme to plan a form, couse all attack are just randoms, they hit randomly and they do damage randomly!

I tested 2 orizontal red chop, vs a standing target!

FIRST SHOT : 80 damage

SECONDO SHOT : 25 damage

( same conditions in both the shots , why 2 different damages? )

I remember in last patch strategy like " crouching making yellow, then jumping and 2 fast blue... well guys it was REALLY millmetric couse crouching means "attack while avoiding an enemy slash"

Now saber just block everytimes, all common shot can be blocked, so people just play using special deadly move and i noticed that there are times where people is ABLE to block also while making a special move, like the ending part of the SMASH!

_Now it's not clear when u damage someone, in last patch i was able to plan a thing like "red - blue - blue " but now, i see people RUSHING wit 10..11..12 blue shots and HITTING everytime and making..5..10..5..10.. and then the enemy react with 2 shots and kill them making 60 and 60!

And there is not a strategy couse u see both players just rushing each others with blue and yellow stance continuesly hitting or missing!

-----

I think the best balance could be this :

u con block ONLY while NOT attacking

Damage can move inside a range, but not the red stance range...50 - 120!!! damn.

Let's put Blue stance 20- 30 but really fast

Yellow stance 30- 50 but middle speed

red stance 50 - 80 but really slow!

the combo are ok , but let people be Slower while moving back, it's unrealistic to see people running back as fast as i'm running forward!

Decrease the special move damage, i can realise that Smash, ( a move so slow to charge, so visible and predictable ) kill istantanely , but not a backward, it's too fast, let it make 50 of damage, as the blue special moves in last patch

----

REALISTIC COMBACT SERVER OPTION

I also think that a good think for REAL saber duel could be this, allow a server option able to modify the game adding this things!

Saber throw, u want that? ok but if i shot your saber while coming to me you will LOST IT to the ground

Run consume force! Yep i know that "always runner" will hate me for this but, i noticed that while walking the game improve in realism and combact STRATEGY couse u dont have people charging a red stance and then running as Jordan around you.

Run can be a strategy u can use it to make a fast slash , but not THE MOVE, let be differences between "running" and "walking" combact

If u dont like this, well just let RUNNER do a type of moves different from WALKERS, so u can let the duel be more interesting!

Let also the roll consume force in this options!

I mean a STANDING Jedi is a jedi that is not using anything but for a moment try to imagine a warriro runnin and rolling all the time

1) it's impossibile to duel in this conditions

2) for a moment image this game at HIGH LEVEL COMPETITIONS, what will be the fate of strategy? Just doing the BETTER moves in the SMALLER amount of time.

What are the better moves? running running running and hitting with special moves right now!

So If your aim is to create a Jedi race game, ok u won!

If your aim is to create a Jedi sabercombact simulation, well just let the saber combact be as more similiar as i ( and other people ) said!

Thanks raven =)

Guys, unless you have really really really thought your suggestions over or have played the game for more than 10.000 hours then I suggest you keep your suggestions which would totally change the gameplay for yourself because, um no offense or anything, but you are just a gamer and these guys are professional game designers.. I guess they know their stuff... And I am confident that the next patch will help a lot, so just learn to live with it for the meantime

I do like the suggestion of eliminating the one-hit kills altogether. There is nothing more annoying than having 100 health and 100 shields and getting backstabbed ONCE and dying.

I'm all for heavy damage on the backstab, however. Let's not totally do away with it.

____

Also, I am learning REAL QUICK that absorb, when used correctly, is pretty much a god-mode now. A light-sider will always beat a dark-sider if they know how to use the new absorb. So much for balance. If it used up more mana, then it wouldn't be so bad. But as it stands, it hardly uses any now.

I do like, however, the invisible absorb ability... that makes for interesting fighting.

Okay, here's some cool stuff. I've been playing around with the command console in MP. If you want to keep the skill level at Jedi master while hosting a game but have no force or only certain force powers try this:

Press shift-~. At the command console type \forcetoggle press the tab key and a list of all the powers will show up for example

0-heal

1-jump

2 speed

15-saber offense

16-saber defense

17-saber throw

\forcetoggle 0 : will turn off heal

\forcetoggle 1 : will turn off jump and so on..........

the game will tell you (forcepower) disabled and all changes will take effect when the level is restarted. As for the jump, if you want to keep the jump abilities active like kick and stuff you need to keep force jump on. But if people are being a bunch of jumping beans here's another neat little trick: At the command console type \g_gravity 3000. You won't be able to jump very high but you will retain kick and other neat tricks you can do with the jump. The game's default gravity is 800 and 3000 may be a bit much so play around with the numbers between 800 and 3000. Remember you can only do this if you are the host of the game.

Oh yeah, to turn these powers back on again just type \forcetoggle (forcepower #) and the game will state (forcepower)

is enabled. These commands affect everyone in the game including host. There are alot more command console items I haven't played around with yet I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceburg.

I'd agree with the suggestion not to go on and tell everyone who wants to hear (or even more who does not want to hear), what drastical gameplay changes you would make.

One example would be slowing down the speed one can run balkwards... sure it might be more realistic if this would be slower, BUT: ths would change gameplay COMPLETELY.

So just be careful. Sometimes the things you desire might come true.

The game surely has been improved over 1.02 but still there are things to fix;

-weaken backstabbing

-work over some of the animations so that it would not seem as if you hit your opponent, when you actually didn't

-possibly(!) (if gameplay wise a good idea): weakan saber throw a tad bit.

(surely I forgot something, but it's up to Raven to fix stuff that might need fixing... :/)

I'd suggest fixing those issuse instead of changing everything over completely.

Concerning those small fixes, that i consider necessary I really hope what i read in another thread (NO other patch) isn't true.

Raven has done a GREAT jo so far. if they'd just fix the remaining issues everything would be really fine to me.

Archived