Home

If 1.03 seems like a random swingfest to you...

Zek

Learn to play. I was just on a great Duel server last night, and the combat is more skilled than is has ever been before this patch. If all you're doing is moving towards them and swinging randomly, it's no wonder you hate the patch. Saber combat is different now; you have to adjust your strategy. If it's so random, why do you think there are still people owning the duel servers with flawless records? I'll give you a hint; it's not because they're abusing a new flaw(well, not always), and it's not because they're extremely lucky. They've adjusted to the new combat while everyone else is just trying to get lucky swings in, and it shows.

I've found 100% the same thing. I haven't had a chance to play with the new patch too much, and not at all with other people. However, the time I have spent against bots showed me that random swinging is the worst way to play. Since so many of your attacks are blocked, swinging wildly is a waste of time. Plus it leaves you open for a counterattack. So those hackers out there are definitely going to be unhappy.

Also, after reading about the patch before using it, I expected to have to start learning again from scratch. I think this is an exageration. I think the keys remain the same (at least the things I follow). Strike when another person has swung and when there's an openning. Play defensive when someone is attacking you. Seems to work for me, and now that blocking abilities have been increased, I find that I can be even better.

Adjusting to the new changes isn't very difficult. I found that after about an hour of playing, I could beat the Luke bot on Jedi Master skill with Jedi Knight force abilities. So no problems!

P.S. Kicking is just as easy as ever.

I agree that the combat has changed for the better, and that it is far more precise now.

But I think it is a little too precise. It's great and all that it takes real skill to chop someone down now but I think they overdid it a bit. I still did fine in the games I played so far but it just wan't as much fun... I would land a hit that would have normally killed/hurt him, but either it is blocked now or it clashes back slowing the combat down or I do actually hit him. It doesn't seem that any of the damage has been toned down so if you land a very good hit you still inflict lots of damage. And I'm not attacking randomly at all, I'm timing all my attacks to strike just before/after my enemy's swing. The sabers just bounce back too much now.

I'm not saying we need to go back to the old, no way, this is much better in detail. But I think it should be toned down a bit. Also the radius in which you can block things should be decreased slightly so you actually have to look at where the attack is coming from instead of just looking in his general direction.

So to sum it up, tone down the blocking/clashing a bit and then it would probably be just as precise but more fun.

And we need the FISTS (fists r kewl) instead of the Stun Baton! Stun Baton is silly! I hate those Stun Baton spammers! Bleh!

:p

I heartily agree, saber combat now is much more swordfight-like and less like swatting flies or playing baseball.

I'm not sure if this was in 1.02 but I've found it really rocks how if you hold the attack button down you can chain 2 3 or 4 attacks together to really smash someone's defence in medium style, or you can release halfway through and adjust your angle to take advantage of any holes in their defence that have opened. Can get really strategic, which gives it lots and lots of depth :)

'Not swinging widly' could be any number of things.

Hey Desslock,

With "swinging wildly" I am referring to people I have played that just mash the saber attack button so they are constantly doing saber attacks. Before many(?) of these attacks got through level 3 saber defence. Now many more of these swings are blocked, so this full assault tactic is much less effective, at least in my limited experience with the new patch.

Cheers :)

Archived