Home

Is Adventure Gaming Dead at LucasArts

To me... it doesn't matter what Sierra is doing. Unlike with some of the Lucas Arts games, Sierra's often were the people that made them. Just look at SpaceQuest 6... if there is to be a 7... at least one of the Two Guys From Andromeda better be on it... otherwise, it is rather pointless... King's Quest? Without Roberta, no. EMI was fine... but not for the series. When you get too far away from the creators of something that was an incarnation of one, or two people's "soul," then you lose touch with what that game, or series was about, and usually doesn't fit in. KQ8 really was more of an experiment I suppose, looking at the success of Quake, I think I remember reading that Roberta wanted to attract people from other genres, unfortinatually, I think they went too far over, and as the old King died... I suppose it was fairly symbolic. I doubt KQ will come back.

(On a similar note, I think Lucas had somewhat of a similar mind set with Ep1, as he wanted to make it for this new time, but not alienate the old fans, and perhaps went too far. Seems he corrected this with Ep2, which I have yet to see. :\ )

Of course, LSL is another story. Sierra has esentially talked with Al via PC Gamer, and he said he would LOVE to make another... so perhaps that will hold true to its Jazz lounge roots.

In many ways, because of the slow down in the adventure market, and the leaving of many of the good 'ole boys and girls, I think it would be better NOT to return to old series, but rather find new people, that can capture the same feeling that the older games had, and translate it into new adventure games for the 21st century. Unless you get the old people back... other than the return of old fans, I don't think there is much to gain from using old series, and much more to gain by creating new ones. It is hard to say goodbye to old friends, and it is probably harder for marketing to let a company stop a somewhat successful series for a "risky" new one, but people need to be allowed to express their selfs in their games, just as it was before.

And yes, I type lots. Ok? :)

LucasArts officially announced Full Throttle II on their homepage, newsletter, and press release area :)(http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/59.html). Hopefully it is a sign that they are not giving up on adventure games. I fear they will alter the interface from what we experienced in the first game. Much like what happened with Monkey Island 4. I preferred the interface of Monkey Island 3 and Full Throttle. It may not have been as technically advanced, but it made the atmosphere much more enriching and enjoyable to control navigation with the mouse and have a 3rd person (classic) linear viewpoint. Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever see a return to the classic presentation LucasArts once had in their adventure games.:(

we all want a grim fandango 2 !!!!!! don't mind if the producer quit the team.... take a new one! I ONLY WANT A GF 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

an sam & max 2 would be great too :)

now lucas arts is low behind other compagny who make adventure game! here I tink of Microïds (syberia, amerzone), Cyan (myst), FunCom (the longest journey), and other game who I dont know the editor like schizm

but old adventure game are almost the greatest! grim fandango, full throttle, day of the tentacle, indiana jones: fates of atlantis, leisure suit larry, simon the sorcerer and "les chevalier de baphomet"!! what are you waiting for lucas arts? you know the winning recipe! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think that the adventure game will ever die. I do think, however, that it will go into hiding after the release of Full Throttle 2 and (hopefully) MI5 (Please LucasArts, one more monkey!!! It's all I ask!!!). After that, I don't think we'll have any new adventures for a few years from LA. However, I do think that adventures will return in time.

I am a 15 year old, and one of my friends is the biggest computer wiz you'll ever know. He knows C++ and Binary (perfectly), and he's only been programming for a year. For a school project, we were asked to take on a project of our own making. We got together and wrote an adventure game. Story and concept art by yours truly, programming and everything computery by my friend. We both tested it and it worked fine. He says that it was one of the most fun projects he's ever done and we are currently working on a sequel.

I hope that this continues, and maybe, in the future, it will be the programming experts of today who are dissapointed with the gaming turnout that will ressurect the genre. My friend is one example, here's hoping there are more teens like us, who are willing to preserve a genre long enough to see it through a drought.

LucasArts has not abandoned their adventure gaming heritage, and they aren't letting it slip into "hiding" either.

But there is still a bit of bad news for die-hard "traditional" adventure fans: For LucasArts, the days of the 2D point-and-click adventure are gone.

Look at the games they announced at E3 -- almost half of them are billed as "action-adventures." What that means to me is that LucasArts thinks they're evolving their focus not by reviving their adventure game development, but by transferring that line of products to a new, more "hip" genre.

Thats really good news for consolers, because Action Adventure games grew up on the Nintendo, Sega, and Sony Playstation -- several of the E3 titles aren't even planned for release on the PC as far as I can tell.

But I'm not a consoler. I don't even like them. LucasArts used to cater to me, the PC gamer, and they did it with style. Now they've sold out, and all the big-name console manufacturers have wooed them over to their fancy boxes that come in all the colors of the rainbow -- er, of a bruise anyway (black-n-gray-n-green-n-blue-n-purple).

What's more, I have news for you, LucasArts: ACTION-ADVENTURE GAMES ARE *NOT* ADVENTURE GAMES. Surely they know this, after all it was LA and Sierra who pioneered the genre.. are they hoping to FOOL their own adventure fans into thinking these new controller-bashing games are the natural progression of the adventures we all know and love? This whole time they've been trying to convince us that they haven't forgotten about us adventure game fans -- and then they go and release a bunch of 3rd person shooters and other console-loving drivel.

Archived