Home

Need Changes for Next Patch

Swingman

Instead of complaining about the latest patch, lets tell Raven how to fix the game in the next patch.

My Changes (or changes I've heard are needed)

-- Weaken the backstab move (commonly called the custodian move)

-- Lessen the chance to block. It's like an auto-saber shield now

-- Make force health give you more health (it was over weakened)

-- Make drain cost less force power (also over weakened)

-- Place target icon on players affected by force powers like grip, lightning, drain, push, pull, mind tricks, team heal, and team energize

-- Improve information on server list (Say which games are passworded and what version of JK2 it is running)

-- Exiting after unable to join a server should take the screen back to the server list not main menu

I would like to say that having a chat icon appear when someone is typing was a great addition.

Please only reply with what you want to see changed or added in a patch.

Yes I would also like to see more damage on sabers. Say 30-50 for light 50-70 for medium and 70-90 for heavy. Rough approximation.

I also want the fists!

And a smaller blocking radius so you have to look at where the attack is coming from more precisely. I don't enjoy being able to block things standing next to me, I would much rather see them hit me. It just makes more sense.

Less saber clashing during attack animations. They bounce back just a bit too much. Needs a tiny nerf.

And I want to see more ammo on the levels, it is a bit scarce.

They have the SP grip animation for the gripped person, now to accompany it they should have the walking animation for the gripper, not that odd looking walk/run. You should walk just a bit faster than you can with grip now. Normal walking speed would be fine. To counteract the fact that most people are finally cathing on to counter it, it should deliver more damage in a shorter time and you wouldn't be able to grip him for so long. That should make it more interesting to do again.

More health from drain/heal.

Make it so when someone is gripping you they cant run behind a wall and keep gripping you... Last night some terd was hiding in a doorway, and just gripped everyone and ran behin the wall, making it uncounterable... kind of lame... if I can't see him to push, how come he can keep up grip?

I love the sabers now, but I do agree they could use a tiny bit more damage potential, not a whole lot though... I love the whole middle of swing=most damage idea... makes even twirlers less of a threat.

I also hear that if you block then hit attack at about a split second later it does a kind of parry... I am gonna experiment with this soon, and see if that works... I have always wanted a kind of parry move... however I agree make the blocking arc a bit less effective... it's kind of wierd sometimes when you attack someone from BEHIND and slightly to the side and get blocked even 20% of the time... I mean I love the idea of being able to block to the rear, but does it have to work THIS well?

also in the middle of a swing thier should be NOP autoblock, only if the two sabers cross paths should they actually block... IT IS a tiny bit like this now, but it's still a bit off... Like if I sidesytep an incoming downward hack and do a horizontal one... in real life it would hit so long as the guys arms where still up, and I have this timed perfectly in 1.02.... It should be a valid technique to use since it's not easily spammed ETC. Anyway thats my thoughts... however as far as patches go, raven did a very nice job listening to the requests... If they can fix the damn janitor moves to make them less exploitable I would be happy...

drain is a thing that WAS over balanced, because lightning wasn't balanced with it... so now a dark jedi fighting another dark jedi is SOL when one uses lightning and the other uses drain... it used to be the perfect counter besides absorb... but now? Bah... I have stopped using grip and use lightning now... just to keep up with a lightning spammer... Heck I usualy go light side now... Heheh

Yea, grip should not work unless you have line of sight. walls or objects between player and target should block force powers.

I've had someone kill me by grip just because i couldn't see around the wall.

I think they should put reflective surfaces in the game, like they had in the demo. Make it an option to toggle so if the player's graphics card can't handle it, they can turn it off.

I was very impressed with the demo graphics and it seemed the enemy AI was better. Maybe it was just me but why can't that be put in the retail game.

Keep the ideas coming

Well, I've posted my views on the new saber combat b4 so I'm not gonna go through that again. Overall I think the new system is better than the old one. I just don’t like it how everybody seems to be reverting to the backstab/swipe move. I was playing two days ago in the morning and everything was fine and I was doing okay on a few duel servers. Later that night I logged on again to find that the backstab/swipe frenzy had spread like a viral infection. Nearly everybody was relying on it almost exclusively. On servers with no force, ppl would just charge backwards at each other. On the servers with force saber duels became a tug of war to see who can pull their opponent to the ground first and backstab. I had never seen the move abused so heavily b4 and this all disturbed me, as I know it has many other players. Something needs to be done...

Also, when it comes to drain Vs lightning, I haven't really had any problems with somebody relying on lightning (when I play dark and use drain). I've found that a good strategy to use with drain is to not drain someone who is using lightning on you unless you are taking damage directly to your health and not your shields. Don't try to drain them first because you won't receive the real benefits of drain, which are its healing abilities. If you stick to this strategy then a lightning user should not be able to overwhelm you. I don't think any balancing is necessary between the two. In fact I don’t think any balancing would be possible without upsetting the light VS dark balance which is probably the more import issue to be concerned with.

As far as heal goes, I think that they nerfed it a little too hard, even as someone who plays exclusively on the dark side. It was overpowered b4 but it is now 1/4 as force efficient as it used to be at level 3. Did it really need to be hit THAT hard? Also it's basically useless at level 1 and 2 where it only gives 5 or 10 health for half of your force. I realize that it pays to specialize in what force powers you select rather than spreading your points out thin, but the lower levels of heal are just pathetic for lack of a better word and should be made more powerful. I think heal should be something like:

(costing 50% of you force at all levels)

level 1 gain 11 health or 12 health

level 2 gain 22 health or 24 health

level 3 gain 33 health or 36 health

I think heal would be perfect if it was like this because the lower levels would be better and it would be more useful overall. (And it would still be a far cry from what it used to be.)

Oh and one more thing - Dark Rage. It should be the most powerful of the dark side powers and it is in many respects -except that it leaves you completely defenseless all of the time, especially at the lower levels. The problem isn't the reduced run/attack speed that lasts for 10 seconds after it wears off. The real problem is that it drains you of 80 health at all levels. This is especially bad at level 1 where you go from 100 - 20 health in just 10 seconds. Most sith don’t touch Rage because of this. I think Rage should be more like:

level 1 - drains up to 50 health, or 60 health

same bonuses and after effects

level 2 - drains up to 60 health, or 70 heath

same bonuses and after effects

level 3 - drains up to 70 health, or 80 health

same bonuses and after effects,

That way it would be a little more viable at all levels, and you might just see a few more sith relying on it rather than drain/ lightning all of the time.

I am not the most experienced player, but I have to admit that when I started playing a few weeks ago I noticed imeadiatly that there was a killer move, I soon learned it was the DFA.

(Incidentally I was playing offline on MP earlier when a "BOT" started spammin' with the DFA! you can imagine how I laughed, especially when I side stepped and decapitated him :D ).

I think the game would benefit from all of Swingman's suggestions. Especially the server browser, I think something like Unreal Tournament would be pefect.

I agree that the blocking radius could be reduced (cant remember who suggested that) but I dont think gameplay would be helped if the auto-block was played with, a realistic jedi is a VERY good blocker.

The gripin' issue should be addressed quickly, line of site should be standard for all forces with the possible exception of "seeing".

Also why should a player be slower when gripin someone? They aint exactly using their muscles, if you get my meaning!

The other force powers I am not sure about, not enough experience using them yet ;)

Yellow stance - For the person whining about not having a swing - IT IS THERE! I can almost do it on demand now :D

Swingman - I think the enemy AI is down to the addition of the bot file and the node placements etc. not the actual engine.

But I agree the hanger with the Reborn in it was superb!

Anyway I hope the peeps who have influence can put these forward as I think that with some if not all of these the game would benefit no end :)

I agree with pretty much everything said here...

The special moves (Death from above, backstab, etc.) REALLY need to be nerfed. All no force duel servers are a contest of who can get their special move inflicted on the other person first. Regular slashes rarely hit, and - when they do - they don't do a good amount of damage like a weapon that can cut through anything should.

[edit]Oh, and the reason (I would think you'd know this, but just in case...) everyone is using combos is because they can't be truly blocked, unlike actual swings (the combo continues it's animation, unlike a normal swing). I suppose it looks a tad more realistic, but this is what always happens to me: I make a wide sweep with my saber (swinging pretty much horizontally while moving forward) and rush my opponent. Suddenly he/she break out in a 1337 r0xx0ring c0mb0. He/she hits my saber and my saber is knocked back (you know, when you hold the saber above your left/right shoulder). Suddenly my saber does not block their move and the swing/stab of their 1337 r0xx0ring c0mb0 that knocked my saber back proceeds to do 100-150 damage to me.

The only time I've ever been able to hit someone else with a normal swing is if they miss with their 1337 r0xx0ring c0mb0 or just make a really stupid mistake.[/edit]

For force healing... my suggestion would be to keep the same amount that it heals (at least for lvl 3, I've never used the other 2 levels) but revert back to the cost that it did before... or perhaps make it 4 force bars. Force heal seems more like something nice when no one is around.

Also, please do something about the hanger level... the reflective tiles make it glitchy on my computer, but all other levels run perfectly fine. It's a real pain to switch to lower quality for 1 map then go back for the rest.

I don't know anything about guns since I don't think I've played FFA since the patch. :(

-Stele007

(Something won't let me register my account so I'm forced to use my brother's)

Archived