Home

For those having trouble with flipkicking -- Possible Solution

Solo4114

I may have a solution for you. I was talking with a friend of mine who was having real trouble getting the hang of the double-tapping flipkicks in the game. He'd just gotten so used to the single tap from 1.02 that he really couldn't get the hang of 1.03's new jumping technique.

We brainstormed for a while about possible solutions. First we tried binding a key to a command that does jump twice. No luck.

BUT, then I asked him exactly what key he was using for jump and what finger he was using on that key. He said he was using the space bar and hitting it with his thumb. I suggested that he try binding an additional key to jump that he could hit with either his index or middle finger. Remember, you can bind TWO keys to each movement. Plus, it's a lot easier to do a double-tap of a key when your finger is moving dead-on than when your thumb is tapping on it's side. It's just a more natural movement to point with your finger than to tap with the side of your thumb.

He tried binding A to jump in addition to the space bar, and sure enough, he can do a flipkick now, no problem. He still uses the space bar to jump normally, but when he wants to do a flipkick or wall walk or what have you, he'll use the A key and double-tap it. You may not want to bind to the A key, but for those of you who use space to jump and can't seem to get it to double-tap effectively, you might consider binding a second key that you can hit with your index or middle finger. Give it a shot. Who knows. It may work for you. :)

Hope this helps!

I may have a solution for you. I was talking with a friend of mine who was having real trouble getting the hang of the double-tapping flipkicks in the game. He'd just gotten so used to the single tap from 1.02 that he really couldn't get the hang of 1.03's new jumping technique.

I must admit : THAT S A VERY GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!

Hell thx

Legend Of Khaydarin

Happy to help, Khaydarin! :)

As far as the bind goes, I don't know what exactly he bound to it. I suggested something like "+jump;wait;+jump" or just "+jump+jump" and he said that didn't work for him. Give it a shot, though. Try searching for how to make quake3 binds, and you may get some ideas.

Otherwise, there's always the two-key solution.

If you really need a kick script, this one works everytime:

set kick "+forward; +moveup; wait; wait; wait; -moveup; wait; wait; wait; +moveup; wait wait; wait; -moveup; -forward"

bind "x" "vstr kick"

Just substitute x with the key you want to bind it to and you have yourself a kick key.

I really didn't like the idea of using a script to flipkick, so I thought about the problem for a while. I reasoned that the problem was the kicks weren't being executed fast enough. So, I thought, what is the fastest way to do this? Voila! The mouse wheel, of course. So, I bound both up and down on my mouse wheel to jump and tested it. It works so perfectly and quickly, I'm amazed. Just a little flick of the mouse wheel and bam!

Of course, the mouse wheel doesn't work so well if you want to perform extended jumps, but for flipkicks, wall-flips, and even wall running, it works flawlessly, provided you are able to flick it fast enough.

Archived