Home

My thoughts (2)

Tarus

Last time i talked about the different styles and force powers...this time im giving my thoughts on the two patches. If you don't care don't read anymore.

The main argument.

In my opinion the main argument is not really what the patch is. The damage the sabers do, the lack of an easy DFA, and the changes to force powers seems like the understatement and nothing more than excuses to me. I think the real argument is simply between two groups.

On one hand you have those who want to go into a server and wrack up as many kills as they can as quickly as possible. These people favor 1.02 because sabers did alot of damage and fights ended in 1-10 seconds usually. Further you can easily kill someone with one hit most of the time.

On the other hand you have the 1.03ers, those who like the longer battles. They enjoy the fact that you can make a minor mistake and not lose the game due to it. They also enjoy the movie feel it gives the game, since in the movies saber combat took at least 5 minutes movie time. These people are playing the game for fun, not for points though they are not afraid to get points and show off.

What I think

I think the 1.03 patch is better, im in the second category. In the movies the saber combats lasted a while, they were not over in a split second and they did not involve two jedi swinging their saber over hand in mid jump trying to kill each other in one hit. The combat flowed and thats what 1.03 provides.

Also, I think, because you can make a couple more mistakes then you could in 1.02 the game requires more skill. Everyone makes mistakes, no one is perfect. But in combat you should have a chance to learn from your mistake and adapt.

Bottom Line

So basicly we have the people who like lots of quick kills and we have the ones who like the longer battles. The force power changes, saber damage, and other things really are not the main reason people like or dislike the patch. For the most part.

There is a 3rd category of people I did not mention. They are simply the people who hate the new patch because they are no longer "skilled" There are only a few people like this but they do not want to adapt to anything new. These people are really close to the ones who want lots of kills considering having to learn a new style means less kills for a while, however the major way you can tell them apart is that this group is spiteful. For instance someone in this group would try and spread a server crash script or go from thread to thread with nothing more to say then "this patch sux".

I like both, myself. I play saber-only, FF and NF both FFA and Duels.

1.02 for when I want a more 'Arcade' oriented feel. Fast paced, deadly combos, etc.

1.03 for when I want to get serious. More tactical, longer fights, etc.

Mind you, these are my personal feelings on this. It's not meant to incite any kind of flames. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they cater to different 'moods' as far as *I*, meaning *myself*, am concerned....

Archived